Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DAL to RDU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:27 am
Original Poster

DAL to RDU

How many flights per day did WN offer on this route prior to COVID? Right now I'm only seeing one flight per day listed.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by poisson
How many flights per day did WN offer on this route prior to COVID? Right now I'm only seeing one flight per day listed.
Recovery continues to be potholed.

RDU enplaned passengers (Southwest):

89,984 Jan 2019
46,211 Jan 2022
rdu.com
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:42 am
Original Poster

From MDW to RDU I'm seeing 3 flights per day. Prior to COVID, I remember them having at least 5. I'm new to DFW so I'm curious to know how many flights per day there were prior to COVID. Is there a list somewhere that has all of the routes and the number of flights per day?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:33 pm

From MDW to RDU I'm seeing 3 flights per day. Prior to COVID, I remember them having at least 5. I'm new to DFW so I'm curious to know how many flights per day there were prior to COVID. Is there a list somewhere that has all of the routes and the number of flights per day?
Dallas to Raleigh.... I pulled some random dates pre-Covid (they are all Fridays to ensure there were no reduced weekend days)....

June 15, 2018
1 flight leaving at 10:25am

January 18, 2019
1 flight leaving at 7:25pm

June 21, 2019
1 flight leaving at 8:55am

December 13, 2019
2 flights leaving at 7:40am and 3:10pm
LegalTender and poisson like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoldenArgosy
Dallas to Raleigh.... I pulled some random dates pre-Covid (they are all Fridays to ensure there were no reduced weekend days)....

June 15, 2018
1 flight leaving at 10:25am

January 18, 2019
1 flight leaving at 7:25pm

June 21, 2019
1 flight leaving at 8:55am

December 13, 2019
2 flights leaving at 7:40am and 3:10pm
Good info! Thanks! I wonder why WN has historically only ever had 1 flight to DAL from RDU? After looking at their routes, RDU just isn't a big hub for WN. Most flights to go Baltimore, Nashville, and Chicago.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 2:57 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Good info! Thanks! I wonder why WN has historically only ever had 1 flight to DAL from RDU? After looking at their routes, RDU just isn't a big hub for WN. Most flights to go Baltimore, Nashville, and Chicago.
To be clear, we only offer 1 nonstop flight per day. We offer several connections/directs in addition to the nonstop
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by SWAVictor
To be clear, we only offer 1 nonstop flight per day. We offer several connections/directs in addition to the nonstop
I'm sorry poisson.... I assumed you knew I was referring to nonstop flights.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoldenArgosy
I'm sorry poisson.... I assumed you knew I was referring to nonstop flights.
Yep, that's exactly what I was asking about. Any idea why there has historically been only 1 flight per day on the DAL-RDU route? Is DAL just not a popular destination from RDU? WN doesn't even offer a single direct flight to Houston from RDU. Maybe RDU just isn't a popular airport for WN?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:45 pm

Yep, that's exactly what I was asking about. Any idea why there has historically been only 1 flight per day on the DAL-RDU route? Is DAL just not a popular destination from RDU? WN doesn't even offer a single direct flight to Houston from RDU. Maybe RDU just isn't a popular airport for WN?
The bolded
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
WN is gate constrained at DAL and pre-COVID was pretty much maxed out on the number of flights, as in to add a flight to one city they had to cut a flight to another. Not quite the case with current schedules, where the limiting factor seems to be having an adequate number of employees to fly and ground handle all the flights they'd like to run.

Specific to RDU, though, I imagine it still has some leftover AA loyalty from its days as an AA hub.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:56 am

RDU always struck me as a strong SWA city, perhaps because SWA has terminal one all to themselves.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
RDU is a secondary airport.

flights from there are going from that city to hubs or Florida destinations. I know dallas is somewhat of a hub but it depends on how they set up routing.

they might set up RDU to use BNA/ATL fir SE citues, BWI fir NE citues, MDW fir upper Midwest and west citues and use DEN fir west connections.

DAL might we used fir some west routings. But these are spread out among AUS and HOU
Old Mar 20, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
RDU has six gates available (A4-A9) but they frequently just use A5-A8. I've been frustrated with their MDW frequencies, in January it was frequently just 2x/day instead of three, and they bounce around the time of their late MDW-RDU all over the place.

The other challenge at RDU is trying to check a bag before the 6am bank of flights. I don't have to check one on my MDW flights, but two weeks ago there must have been 100 people in line at bag check, it stretched all the way to the escalators to the parking garage. Meanwhile, TSA was deserted. Maybe WN could open their bag check 15 minutes earlier?

​​​​​
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted above, I suspect RDU may still have a fair number of AA loyalists from AA hub days (I know someone from RDU who continues to fly AA even though it has been many years since de-hub). It's also currently a DL focus city (although DL has yet to restore a number of pre-Covid routes -- not sure if they flew RDU-DFW). It doesn't really strike me as a very strong WN station.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 20, 2022 at 3:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.