Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Checking for Free Changes With Companion Booked?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+,CP (ex-DL Platinum)

Southwest has a weather advisory for Chicago the next two days. I'm flying with my companion to MDW this evening. I wanted to check if our flight can be changed without a fare increase. If I start a change operation online, I get an error since I have a companion fare. I don't want to cancel the companion fare to check mine for fear I'll lose the seat. Is there a way to work around this?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by A16someday
Southwest has a weather advisory for Chicago the next two days. I'm flying with my companion to MDW this evening. I wanted to check if our flight can be changed without a fare increase. If I start a change operation online, I get an error since I have a companion fare. I don't want to cancel the companion fare to check mine for fear I'll lose the seat. Is there a way to work around this?
Call and ask.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Check on prices WITHOUT trying to make a change. If there are good options/price, you have two options.

Cancel the companion, book the new flight/change and then add companion.

Or

Call in and have them do it.

( I strongly prefer to do it myself)
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Search online as if you were booking a new flight for 2 travels to check availability first then call in and have them make the change.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by PAX62
Search online as if you were booking a new flight for 2 travels to check availability first then call in and have them make the change.
I would search for an alternative flight for 8 passengers, just to be safe. Two seats can disappear in the time between your search and your attempt to rebook. Also, it will give you an idea of the number of seats available at the fare you are shopping.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:38 am

Don't think OP is wondering about what the fares are now, they want to know if they can make a free change due to the weather without having to pay any fare difference.

If flight isn't sold out, remove companion, then start your change process.
A16someday likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Don't think OP is wondering about what the fares are now, they want to know if they can make a free change due to the weather without having to pay any fare difference.

If flight isn't sold out, remove companion, then start your change process.
AGREE.

And that is one of the reasons I often do not add companion until closer to flight date. If concerned about flight being sold out - you can usually see if a few seats are left, or as another person suggested, try a booking for 8 seats and if it is open, you are in great shape.

And for those that say this is a big pain and to just call in... well, the suggested process takes maybe 3 minutes - good luck getting through on the phone that quick - LOL!
A16someday likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 4:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
the suggested process takes maybe 3 minutes - good luck getting through on the phone that quick - LOL!
With A-list preferred status my phone wait time is consistently less than 15 seconds. I will miss that when it's gone.
smmrfld, steved5480 and jmw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.