Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Seat Assignments at 24hrs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
False equivalency (very common in arguments defending WN). On other airlines, if there are no available seats you want, you know that before you buy the ticket. If there's not seats you like, buy a different flight or fly a different airline. WN is completely opaque (in a few different ways), so you don't know whether or not you have the seat you want until you've spent money and are already on the plane.
I'm not sure it is a false equivalency but regardless, the majority of seats on WN are not middle seats and there's a few ways to ensure you board early. The odds are you'll get a seat that you are perfectly happy with unless you only like a handful of seats on the entire plane. So there's really nothing opaque about it. It's all very clearly spelled out up front before you buy anything. If you don't like open seating then fly a different airline. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea but obviously enough people are ok, or better, with it.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
it's only less stressful because you don't seem to want to pay anything to guarantee that your family sits together. On AA or DL for example, you can pay extra and guarantee that you all sit together. That's not less stressful that just hoping at the airport and on the plane that you'll all get seats together?
It could just as easily be the opposite of what you're saying. Depending on when you buy the tickets, on AA, DL, etc, there might not be seats together no matter how much you are willing to pay. Especially if you don't have status with that airline.

At least on WN, you can buy tickets last minute and you can put yourself in a position where paying extra will almost guarantee, or at least give you very good odds, that you can sit together.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
If you don’t like not having assigned seats, don’t fly WN. It really is that simple. This isn’t some sort of secret.
pitflyer, Bear96, Boraxo and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 8:43 pm

it's only less stressful because you don't seem to want to pay anything to guarantee that your family sits together. On AA or DL for example, you can pay extra and guarantee that you all sit together. That's not less stressful that just hoping at the airport and on the plane that you'll all get seats together?
If your goal is to sit together and you can't figure out how to "guarantee" this on Southwest you are obviously doing it wrong and just like to complain for the sake of complaining. I have easily taken 20-30 segments in a row now where I got the seat I wanted without any issue every single time. Never had to sit my family apart. I must have been really lucky I guess right?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 12:26 pm

There are a number of recent factors causing higher boarding numbers. First SWA is now placing people on the same confirmation as a Alister in order and doing the same with companions. Other considerations include the number of passengers connecting with your flight, they may have checked in earlier since the could checkin at T-24 of their first flight. I've had numbers that high at t-24 but even as A-List O have noticed ,my boarding position is higher than it used to be,.
LegalTender and ryw like this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
There are a number of recent factors causing higher boarding numbers. First SWA is now placing people on the same confirmation as a Alister in order and doing the same with companions. Other considerations include the number of passengers connecting with your flight, they may have checked in earlier since the could checkin at T-24 of their first flight. I've had numbers that high at t-24 but even as A-List O have noticed ,my boarding position is higher than it used to be,.
Good point. So essentially WN is saying "we know you want to sit together and we're OK with you saving seats so we'll make it easier for you by letting you board with the better boarding number". The anti seat savers will have a conniption.
screeton likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Boy is this an over reation...added my comments in bold

Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
I already hate having no assigned seats on Southwest, it is very unprofessional an unorganized-.no. The most disorganized gates are legacy airlines with 9 boarding groups and people circling not knowing where they belong. I fly AA and WN. WN gates are much more organized I was in a situation where I had to use southwest I have a group of 2.
I checked in exactly at 24hrs and it gave me B49 and B50 with no chance of being seated next to each other. Because others in front of you are flying together-no doubt-in parties-you are almost guaranteed to sit together. Unless one buys Bus Select, boarding positions start at A16.
Is Southwest doing this on purpose? No. With connecting passengers, A List and others on A list itineraries, that's where you are. You mentioned being offered upgrade to Business Select. That means A 1-15 has openings I cant believe that everyone is paying $20 extra per person per flight for the early bird.
The funny part is when I checked in, it gave me the option to upgrade to the A 1 to 15 for $109 per person. They are insane.
I cant understand why they dont have assigned seating. Because its much faster. They turn planes faster than nearly any other airline. You load the plane faster with assigned seats and then you dont have people stuck in seats they dont want. Incorrect. Many studies show planes board faster without seat assignments. Google it. Their customer satisfaction has to be very low. They are one of the most popular airlines in the US.
Hope this helps and you actually sit together.

Regarding boarding, here's a quote from a study. Most studies assume assigned seats so can lead people to think assigned seats are fastest:

Surprisingly, only one airline is known for using the scientifically-proven, fastest method of passenger boarding: Southwest airlines. For decades (since 1971), Southwest has held to the method of not giving passengers assigned seats.

Last edited by Mr. Vker; Jan 24, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:25 pm

I agree with the OP that flying WN is a crappy experience, in many ways.. Probably not as bad as G4 or NK, but definitely not a good experience -- having no assigned seats, being forced to play the silly line-up-by-the-numbers game to board, dealing with various idiots "cutting in line" by saving seats, no lounges, no F or J, no interline agreements, and a primitive website. But even with all of that, on occasion I find they are the best option -- because of the schedule. For me, the solution is to pay the $20 per person for EBCI. Seems like a small price to pay to not have to deal with some of the nonsense.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Chamor
no lounges
That's about to get remedied. A Chase Sapphire Lounge will open at PHX this summer in the new D9-D16 concourse.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Tanic
That's about to get remedied. A Chase Sapphire Lounge will open at PHX this summer in the new D9-D16 concourse.
This isnt specific to WN; one might as well say that WN has lounges already, as there are two Clubs at LAS and an Escape lounge in OAK.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Through passengers do not get boarding numbers and thus won't impact position.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:14 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I think there better odds that he gets two seats together than he comes back here to report.
You called it. People don’t like to draw attention to how their fears were misplaced.
jjbiv and Mr. Vker like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
I already hate having no assigned seats on Southwest
Oh, cool! We've never done this thread before.

*pops popcorn*
chica, wrp96, steved5480 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This isnt specific to WN; one might as well say that WN has lounges already, as there are two Clubs at LAS and an Escape lounge in OAK.
When the premium Citi card included full AAdmiral's Club access, I had a good year flying mostly WN and using those lounges. It's a little harder to pair PC lounges with WN but it can be done in some of the larger airports.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
It's about WN specific as you can get since the D concourses will only have WN gates, unlike the above examples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.