Wiki Posts
Search

How to get refund for medical issue?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
How to get refund for medical issue?

My mom fell and fractured her back and pelvis. She had a reservation for about a month later to fly Southwest. The funds were only good for about two and a half months after her injury (due to a previous rebooking), and she was not going to be able to fly by then. I called and was told to email a particular department (perhaps customer care) through a form on the website. I included my mom's hospital paperwork and asked for a refund of the fare and EarlyBird, as she was physically unable to fly.

Unbelievably, I received basically a form letter in return, denying the request. This seems cruel and egregious by Southwest.

Does anyone have suggestions for who I can contact and through what means (phone, email, Twitter) to escalate this situation? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by JJ804
My mom fell and fractured her back and pelvis. She had a reservation for about a month later to fly Southwest. The funds were only good for about two and a half months after her injury (due to a previous rebooking), and she was not going to be able to fly by then. I called and was told to email a particular department (perhaps customer care) through a form on the website. I included my mom's hospital paperwork and asked for a refund of the fare and EarlyBird, as she was physically unable to fly.

Unbelievably, I received basically a form letter in return, denying the request. This seems cruel and egregious by Southwest.

Does anyone have suggestions for who I can contact and through what means (phone, email, Twitter) to escalate this situation? Thanks in advance.
I would try the BBB and/or Twitter DM next.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 4:00 am

They will only issue as travel funds usually, not a full refund. I have a kid with a lot of medical issues and we have cancelled flights frequently over the years. You can reissue the travel funds if they expired for $100 fee if you call.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 4:56 am

Assuming you didn't purchae a refundable fare. I would start out by asking for an extension to the flight cost, a refund is unlikely.
Another thought, by chance did you pay for any of the flights with a credit card that has travel insurance as a benefit? Maybe you could look into that route.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
This seems cruel and egregious by Southwest.
Dramatic much? You took a risk buying a non-refundable fare with expiring funds then have the chutzpah to demand a refund. Southwest stuck by its policy and the contract you agreed to and that makes them cruel?

Your best case scenario is to get an extension of the expiration date, but by starting out with an unreasonable demand for a refund you may wind up paying $100 for it.
pitflyer, jmw, nancypants and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by m907
I would try the BBB
And complain about what? Southwest refuses to refund a nonrefundable fare?
nancypants, jjbiv, smmrfld and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:39 am

Claim on her travel insurance, that is what it is for.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
When an airline sells a non refundable fare, it means just that. Non-refunable.

People get sick. People move away. People run out of money. People no longer have a reason to fly.

None of these matter. You made a contract to fly and then broke that contract. plain and simple. The airline is not some social service agency. Some people buy travel insurance that covers some or all of these reasons.

I apologize if this seems crass, mean or difficult. Just pointing out the facts.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by m907
I would try the BBB and/or Twitter DM next.
Why would you go to the BBB for this? It's not like WN has violated any kind of contract of carriage or even any of their own internal policies.

Also, color me shocked that people buy cheap WN WGA fares and then expect this airline to bend over backwards for all of their needs. Does their "LUV" marketing just cause entitled people to think WN is actually friendly and looking out for you, so they'll just love and take care of you and do whatever you want?
steved5480, smmrfld and mathprof like this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Why would you go to the BBB for this? It's not like WN has violated any kind of contract of carriage or even any of their own internal policies.
There's nothing stopping OP from going to the BBB, they're no different than companies like Yelp and TripAdvisor except that the BBB doesn't rely on the internet to function. But it's not going to achieve anything for OP.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
There's nothing stopping OP from going to the BBB, they're no different than companies like Yelp and TripAdvisor except that the BBB doesn't rely on the internet to function. But it's not going to achieve anything for OP.
Why waste the time? WN has done nothing wrong. Not a BBB issue.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Why waste the time? WN has done nothing wrong. Not a BBB issue.
I could not tell you why people go to the BBB, post on Yelp, yell at clouds, or do any number of unproductive things that are never going to resolve their issue.

When you say "Not a BBB issue" you imply that there's something that "is a BBB issue." But there's not. It's just a company for people who feel aggrieved to complain.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Unbelievably
Why?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try to contact executive office - they are most likely to help. Essentially you are asking for goodwill exception and i think you have a decent chance to get it under the circumstances.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If I recall correctly, Delta will accommodate these requests if the passenger was hospitalized and you can prove it.
screeton and jmw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.