"New fare product" Q2 2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:44 am
Original Poster

"New fare product" Q2 2022

From page 39 of this Investor Day document:

Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Sigh...more fare inflation under the guise of "choice".

It was nice not having to deal with this on WN.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by rove312
From page 39 of this Investor Day document:

I don't like the sound of that.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:27 am

I have to imagine it would be a basic economy type fare that still allows changes and checked bags (maybe only 1?), but gives you a C boarding pass with no ability to use EBCI.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by slariz
I have to imagine it would be a basic economy type fare that still allows changes and checked bags (maybe only 1?), but gives you a C boarding pass with no ability to use EBCI.
I would add that the fare would not create any ticketless travel funds. And it will be equal to the current WGA fares.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by dlaue
I would add that the fare would not create any ticketless travel funds. And it will be equal to the current WGA fares.
Perhaps, but that would be a wholesale change for Southwest to have a fare type that cannot be canceled or reused. I'm just not sure we are there yet (or at least I certainly hope not!)
dw, lougord99 and dlaue like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
My guess is "Wanna Get Away Plus" aka WGA+.

And, I think some benefits with current WGA could be lost - maybe only 1 bag free, maybe a change fee. Or, Maybe WGA+ will get something extra, like, maybe free same-day standby.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I find the 1 bag speculation amusing.

Can not be that many people that travel with more than 1 bag - per person.

Disclaimer - have not checked a bag in the past 100+ flights in our family.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:08 pm

I'd guess a new Cheap Seat fare without any checked bags but I'm probably wrong. It's hard fro me to see what they could do to enhance the other fairs. Things like reserved seats seem too far for Southwest to go from their history and would undermine the value of status.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I find the 1 bag speculation amusing.

Can not be that many people that travel with more than 1 bag - per person.

Disclaimer - have not checked a bag in the past 100+ flights in our family.
I doubt many do except for maybe those traveling with sports equipment like golf clubs or skis. I do remember checking three bags once a long time ago when three bags were free on Southwest (camping equipment and golf clubs).
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This totally smells like Economy Minus.

How else are they going to "increase benefits to existing WGA fare"? Answer: by introducing a crap product at today's WGA price point, calling it something else, and raising the price of WGA.

If there is any new "benefit" at all, it may be that boarding passes are auto-issued top to bottom at T-24 hours, perhaps with a few "holes" to sell some last minute BS/AT.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
This totally smells like Economy Minus.

If there is any new "benefit" at all, it may be that boarding passes are auto-issued top to bottom at T-24 hours, perhaps with a few "holes" to sell some last minute BS/AT.
I don't see that as a new benefit. It means that those people who are conscientious and do check in at T -24 will be disadvantaged because at present many people don't bother to check in until much later, of course if the new fare is priced below WGA then many of those people will buy it. Another feature of the new fare might be inability to check in earlier, therefore allowing people at higher prices to get a better boarding position.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
If anything like the BS rollout, maybe a bunch of promises with dubious and un-guaranteed benefits.

I vote for another tinker to the boarding process like auto check-in bundled in and sequential BP's for everyone in your party, maybe never lower than a mid "B"?

Causal flyers have a never ending fear of being separated and unassigned seats so I can see WN exploiting that further.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ar/6433274001/

According to this article, it will be between WGA and Anytime, and it will not take away from any of the other fare classes. So, if this is to be believed, it will not correspond with a reduction in what you get for WGA fares. Other than fully refundable and more points, is there any real difference between WGA and Anytime?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:11 pm

I bet a benefit to the existing tiers (at least some of them) will be transferable Travel Funds
dlaue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.