Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any targeted offers to congressional staffers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any targeted offers to congressional staffers?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Any targeted offers to government employees

My neice just became government employee I'm wondering if southwest has any targeted offers for them. Southwest is the only nonstop to AUS out of DCA (unless AA adds it to their Austin expansion), so she is probably going to use it alot.

Last edited by Jerseyguy; Dec 7, 2021 at 8:53 pm
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Never heard of any such thing.

But - there are some good offers to get 50-100,000 miles via Southwest Credit Cards.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
If she is vouchering travel, WN has the GSA city pair contract between DCA-AUS and BWI-AUS. UA has the contract from IAD-AUS.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:41 pm

GSA fares of course. Also depending on her "level" she can get certain considerations at TSA. AUS probably not worth it but at DCA could be a huge help
Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by sdix
GSA fares of course. Also depending on her "level" she can get certain considerations at TSA. AUS probably not worth it but at DCA could be a huge help
Get the high end SWA card and they will pay for TSA precheck. Even if not free - still well worth it.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Get the high end SWA card and they will pay for TSA precheck. Even if not free - still well worth it.
Staffers often get to bypass TSA especially at DCA
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
My neice just became government employee I'm wondering if southwest has any targeted offers for them. Southwest is the only nonstop to AUS out of DCA (unless AA adds it to their Austin expansion), so she is probably going to use it alot.
there are laws that make such things illegal to get. It violates various govt ethics laws to take such things even if offered.

general broad brush offers like military discounts are allowed.

southwest will offer lower fares deals out of DCA to airports they fly direct to thst come up.

getting to BWI is not hard from the Capitol.

metro or walk to union station ( about a 15 min walk)
take a $7 MARC train to BWI station
across the road to the parking garage there is a free bus that takes you to bwi airport.

United has a hub at Dulles so directs are offered. In spring 2022 silver line metro will open at Dulles airport. It’s about an hour ride from Capitol south metro station. Unsure what the fare will be for this.

WN usually has a one stop/ no plane change flight to austin too. I think it goes through New Orleans but could go through nashville.
Exiled in Express likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Staffers often get to bypass TSA especially at DCA
depends on their level. They go through a TSA pre check type of system and get credentialed to do this. A fed ID alone doesn’t do it.

ait.ines offering a staffer anything special is an ethics violation where they can get fired.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:50 pm

only official travel get GSA fares. Personal travel does not.

even for official travel, you still need to book early to get The nonstop flight. Booking last minute the non stop price even for GSA exceeds the price cap so a connecting flight is the only option.

The last 20 years my work travel has been under GSA/ fed travel rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.