Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Charitable donation strategy to help achieve companion pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:29 am
Original Poster

I'm planning to apply for the Chase SWA Priority Visa with the intention of earning a companion pass as soon as possible in 2022.

I'd like to donate some money to charity in December with the Visa, timed so the points post in January. In the past AA has offered 10x miles per donation to the American Red Cross, etc., but I've never seen SWA with a similar offer.

Do charities like the Ronald McDonald house accept travel gift cards for donations? If so would buying SWA gift cards at 3x points/$ be the best way to maximize SWA points for charitable donations?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by 8tracks
I'm planning to apply for the Chase SWA Priority Visa with the intention of earning a companion pass as soon as possible in 2022.

I'd like to donate some money to charity in December with the Visa, timed so the points post in January. In the past AA has offered 10x miles per donation to the American Red Cross, etc., but I've never seen SWA with a similar offer.

Do charities like the Ronald McDonald house accept travel gift cards for donations? If so would buying SWA gift cards at 3x points/$ be the best way to maximize SWA points for charitable donations?
if so with 3x pts, a $12k spend will get u >125k pts for the CP

Last edited by danhouston; Nov 11, 2021 at 2:08 pm
Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Interesting angle but I'm not sure the math works out Assuming a bonus of 100,000 you need 25,000 or $8,3333 in WN spend. Assuming (a big one) that you could save 1/2 of that in taxes, is the $4,000+ worth a CP for nearly 2 years before you "broke" even?

I have no idea about the acceptance but it seems reasonable to/for any charity that has substantial travel needs.

Would love to hear more on this possible concept.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

I will need to spend $12k to receive the 100k SUB. I will likely have that much organic spend in three months (with taxes due), which leaves me still needing 13k or so points to get the CP. I'm planning donations next month (nothing close to $8k) to a couple of yet to be decided charities. If I put those on my Amex I'll get 5 MR pts/$ thanks to the current referral offer. That's easier and less risky than sending gift cards but qualified SWA points will be worth a lot more to me than Amex points until I earn the CP.
I never know what a CP is worth because I never know how many domestic trips I'll take, but over 18-20 months $2,000 is a decent guess.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You can make an estimated tax payment online for any amount you want. There is a 2% fee, but could be worth it.

Have done it in the past and then I just get a bigger refund in Feb/Mar when I do my taxes.
MrsGottaGoNow likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
You can make an estimated tax payment online for any amount you want. There is a 2% fee, but could be worth it.

Have done it in the past and then I just get a bigger refund in Feb/Mar when I do my taxes.
And, if you overpay your taxes, you can get some or all of your refund (up to $5K) in a Series I bond that will earn >7%.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, United, Southwest
I think most large charities will take a donation from a credit card although most ask you for a bit of cash to cover the fees they pay the cc company. I checked on Ronald McDonald Charities and they have a credit card option. A bigger issue is the timing ensuring that you get a tax deduction is for 2021 but you don't finish your SWA card spend until 2022. However, you don't want to wait too long since you never know when the 100K offer will disappear. This article walks through the timing of getting the card now but earning the bonus in 2022.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/earn-...pass-new-year/
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:03 am

I volunteer with several nonprofits as well as the Board President of a small nonprofit in CT. Most nonprofits will accept travel gift cards for their upcoming fundraisers. I know for ours we help send families to diabetes events so we would use it for that but the others I volunteer with would absolutely use it for fundraisers/silent auctions/etc. I'm sure you won't have an issue (and if you need a small one to help, happy to help connect you!).
NoStressHere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.