FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Keeping A-List Preferred perks promo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2053825-keeping-list-preferred-perks-promo.html)

isaacchambers Nov 23, 2021 2:44 pm

Question - what if you requalify normally? to 23? ;-)

kennycrudup Nov 23, 2021 2:47 pm

+1, updated sometime this weekend.

jasonvr Nov 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by isaacchambers (Post 33753664)
Question - what if you requalify normally? to 23? ;-)

Nope

WN status always expires at the end of the next year when earned thru the normal method (not a special/limited promo, etc). You don't get to stack normal and promo to extend further.

rsteinmetz70112 Nov 23, 2021 8:26 pm

Earlier this year SWA gave everyone a head start, if you qualified in the normal way you would get extended. I was on my way to do that and still will. My wife was on her way to requalify but had a hiccup and would have fallen just short without this promo or some segment runs.

If you are truly at 23 a segment run would get you at least A List.

FlyingJayhawk12 Dec 1, 2021 11:42 am

I flew one round trip DEN-AUS, and two additional flights DEN-SAT and DEN-STL inside the qualifying period. What’s interesting is that the DEN-STL flight on 19-Nov was actually part of a round trip reservation with the return being on 21-Nov, so I wasn’t sure that it would count per the language in the email. I called the RR hotline last week and had the associate confirm that I had met the criteria. ALP+ status in the app is now showing as expiring on 31Dec2022. :)

ymx Jun 11, 2022 9:37 am

Do you think SW will run a similar promotion this year? I have been A-List for the past 8 years, but this year have not flown a single SW flight due to transcon flights out of my home airport (BDL) being gutted.

smmrfld Jun 11, 2022 10:13 am

Originally Posted by ymx (Post 34326693)
Do you think SW will run a similar promotion this year? I have been A-List for the past 8 years, but this year have not flown a single SW flight due to transcon flights out of my home airport (BDL) being gutted.

Dunno…their metrics re quals/requals as we move later in the year will determine need for promos.

joshua362 Jun 11, 2022 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ymx (Post 34326693)

I'm blown away that Hartford ever had transcon's! The best I got at ISP was LAS and those went away a long, long time ago. Even MDW, the gateway to everywhere, left in 2012

ymx Jun 11, 2022 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 34327534)
I'm blown away that Hartford ever had transcon's! The best I got at ISP was LAS and those went away a long, long time ago. Even MDW, the gateway to everywhere, left in 2012

I should have been more specific re: transcon! BDL used to have a lot of one-stop flights through the day to the west coast with stopovers in BWI, MDW, DEN or STL. Since the pandemic they’ve pretty much all disappeared except for one 5:40am flight on most routes.

jasonvr Jun 11, 2022 7:40 pm

Yeah, I'm having issues as well. WN had only one way to get me from SNA to IAD and it involved 2 stops and was sold out 2 weeks before my trip. On the return, the latest I could leave was like 11am meaning I couldn't work the full day. I had to fly UA instead.

ORDtoMEM Jun 11, 2022 8:07 pm

As a Chicago based Alist Preferred I've also felt this. Last year my flying was limited because of Covid and retained Preferred because of the promo at the end of the year. This year my flying has picked up but Southwest's schedule to the places I need to go has been terrible so I've been booking a lot more on United. Frequencies to the west coast have been brutal (compared to pre 2020) , and other places, like MEM for example, my choices have been either first AM or getting in after car rental locations close.

I will probably eek out regular Alist, and Southwest is probably OK with thinning out the status fliers, but if next year I'm Gold or above on United and just Alist on Southwest I'll probably stick with United

Air Houston Jun 11, 2022 8:16 pm

Fares are high, flights are full, and the airlines (including Southwest) don’t have enough staff to add more flights - so I don’t expect any of the airlines to offer any promos for the rest of the year. Unless demand falls off a cliff, of course.

jmw Jun 11, 2022 9:27 pm

Between the COVID surge at the beginning of the year and the jacked up prices for car rentals and hotels, I'm going to fail to hit A+. I'm good for regular A-list organically though. I'm hoping for a WN A-list promo too.

rsteinmetz70112 Jun 13, 2022 9:16 am

My wife is A-List+ and we're planning travel for the rest of the year and it looks like she will have a tough time making it. Right now she will fall about 5-6 segments short, although there are some opportunities. I'm looking to add a few more flights, but she's resisting.

nsx Jun 13, 2022 9:45 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 (Post 34331946)
My wife is A-List+ and we're planning travel for the rest of the year and it looks like she will have a tough time making it. Right now she will fall about 5-6 segments short, although there are some opportunities. I'm looking to add a few more flights, but she's resisting.

I’m with your wife. (Figuratively)

ALP doesn’t get you enough extra to be worth paying for and flying 5 extra trips. I have flown 5 extra to reach 100 for CP, and even then the return on investment was minimal.

One way to make extra trips less time consuming is to fly A-B-C on two separate tickets rather than A-C on a connection or even a nonstop. But that way costs more money than cheap quick turns.