Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

If I miss Requal for A-List it's b/c of WN Schedule Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

I'm getting really tired of WN schedule changes here in ATL. I'm starting to think they've given up on business travelers. I've had to cancel (and rebook on Delta) multiple round trips lately because I can no longer do same day turns, or the early/late flights were cancelled on certain routes. For example, in June I had to cancel a LGA trip after they cancelled the late evening LGA-ATL and my only option was a 4pm. Just now, I had to cancel a trip to DCA for next month because, like LGA, they cancelled the late DCA-ATL. I've also had to cancel a CLE trip. It's gotten so bad, I've just given up on booking WN unless it's purely for personal travel and I don't care if flights get screwed up.

At the moment it looks like I'm going to end up 6 flights short of A-List and if I don't make it, that's the end of WN for me as work won't pay for Early Bird or Business Select and I'm not playing check-in roulette at 24hrs.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited by dcstudent; Aug 7, 2021 at 7:15 am
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Interesting situation. When I first read the title I was thinking about a late Dec flight getting bumped in January.

But - you do bring up a good point.

I would think the ONLY chance getting a waiver might be if you showed you had booked enough flights but WN did not fly a few of them which not only resulted in less segments, but also left you stranded.

Good luck
Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:02 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'm still hoping for some sort of new status extension or additional requalification break before year end.
dlaue, ryw and kennycrudup like this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:15 am

If intra-CA schedules are any indication, WN is indeed giving up on biz pax. Very frustrating.
dlaue and kennycrudup like this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
If intra-CA schedules are any indication, WN is indeed giving up on biz pax. Very frustrating.
So much this. I’ve dropped my WN business 70-80% because of their bad schedules and constant changes.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
Agreed with the above posters, WN appears to be focused on leisure travel. IMO I can see why it may make sense for them.

I have stopped considering booking WN after schedule changes and cancellations this year, just too unreliable for me and I would prefer to be on a big 3 airline for anything other than a non-stop on WN. It’s a shame because WN does/did have some non-stops that were very convenient for me, but if I can’t trust the schedule it’s not worth the $ savings.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:30 pm

With leisure travel back to pre-covid levels and business travel still down over 50% (according to DL), you can understand that WN re-balances its schedule when business demand is returning at a slower pace than predicted. Destinations out of LGA tend to be business focused as you found out. I can't imagine WN schedulers being able to predict events like the NY auto show being canceled when they released their schedule. It is annoying, but airlines need to have flights they can make money on.
MSP_Monopoly, ryw and 737MAX8 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:54 pm

How far in advance are you booking business trips which are affected by schedule changes? Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time confirming trips more than a few weeks in advance and the schedule is usually firm at that point (operational issues are a different story). Once business travel demand comes back in full force, WN will adjust their schedules to provide the options business travelers demand.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
For critical segments I have been retaining both a WN and AA seat. Sucks for everyone, but both airlines are so unreliable this summer that I feel painted into a corner.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:55 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by smmrfld
WN has correctly concluded "If we build it, they won't come". When business travelers are ready to fly, Southwest will add the necessary flights. Until then, the few business travelers will see few and inconvenient flight options.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
On my most frequent route Southwest usually has one non-stop per day. It used to operate at noon westbound, which worked well for me. Then they changed some days to 8 am, which would require me to leave home at 5:00 am. I am not a morning person and don’t enjoy getting up at 4 am. So I am not doing that. And the days aren’t even consistent from week to week. So it’s nearly impossible to plan. They put me on two-stop itineraries with 8 hours travel time vs 3 hours for the non-stop on some of the Re-bookings. Hard pass on that. The eastbound moves between 2:30 and 4:30 pm, which I can live with. But if I am driving to IAH to fly UA or DL outbound I won’t be returning to HOU no matter what time the Southwest flight operates.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm still hoping for some sort of new status extension or additional requalification break before year end.
Same. I've made CP via BIS since 2018 (even last year, thanks to "CP Lite") - but between moving to SNA (so no need to fly into SNA/SAN), the frustrating lack of N/S out of SNA (I've been cheating and taking AS sometimes thanks to the status match to MVPG75) and spending weeks at a time in FLL, hopefully I can manage to still squeak by into A+ before 1/1.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by jjbiv
How far in advance are you booking business trips which are affected by schedule changes? Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time confirming trips more than a few weeks in advance and the schedule is usually firm at that point (operational issues are a different story). Once business travel demand comes back in full force, WN will adjust their schedules to provide the options business travelers demand.
WN schedule is fixed to the end of October. I would not trust any scheduled flights beyond Halloween.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:14 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by olouie
I’ve dropped my WN business 70-80% because of their bad schedules and constant changes.
You can add a lack of on-time performance toward the end of the day, which can lead to having to overnight somewhere. The frequent meltdowns earlier in the summer also were totally incompatible with business travel. How do I explain to customers that I come at 1 pm when I had scheduled to be there first thing in the morning? I find WN acceptable for personal travel when the price is right, but for business travel I have stuck with Delta.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgasser
WN schedule is fixed to the end of October. I would not trust any scheduled flights beyond Halloween.
It looks to be largely set through November 6th. There's a number of frequency bump ups and some schedule returns starting on November 7th. As far as DL vs. WN at ATL, most of DL's schedule reductions have focused on other hubs and ATL has been less impacted during Covid. Plus DL is so huge at ATL that they can cut a frequency or two on a route and you'd hardly notice it. By comparison, WN is much smaller at ATL and any changes will tend to be more impactful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.