Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I bring wine in a gift bag on a flight from SNA to LAS ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:14 am
Original Poster

I'm visiting a friend and wanted to bring a standard 750 ML bottle of white wine in a gift bag in my carry on. The flight is short from John Wayne (SNA) to LAS. Is this allowed ? I have TSA Pre Check. OR I can bring the wine by itself not in the gift bag if that matters.
Thank you.

Last edited by marciematassa; Jul 22, 2021 at 7:52 am
Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not allowed.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:56 am
Original Poster

thanks. Not what I was hoping to hear. I really don'y want to check my bag. I guess the mini bottles are ok in carry ons ?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:00 am
Suspended

Up to 3.4 ounce containers that fit into a one quart bag. It has been like this for about 20 years.
dw, bbbb, CoffeeTraveler and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
The rules have not changed recently, the TSA liquids limit remains 3.4 ounces/100ml. Departure airport, route or airline has no impact.

Wine mini bottles are typically about a quarter of a full bottle and so around 185-200ml, hence exceeding the limit
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:03 am

Yeah, how were you planning on getting 750 ML of liquid thru TSA security?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
You can bring wine that you purchase at the airport past the security check, although I doubt that there is a wine vendor in SNA.

You cannot open or drink the wine on board.

Otherwise, you could transport the wine in a checked bag, obviously with lots of padding. Two checked bags are free on Southwest.

Expect your checked bag opened and the wine bottle to be examined by TSA agents, so pack it so that they can see what it is. Use bubble wrap, perhaps.
bbbb likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:23 am
Suspended

Or do the sensible thing and buy the wine in Las Vegas. It'll probably be cheaper anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: LTP, PP
There are liquor stores in the airport by baggage claim !
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by marciematassa
I'm visiting a friend and wanted to bring a standard 750 ML bottle of white wine in a gift bag in my carry on. The flight is short from John Wayne (SNA) to LAS. Is this allowed ?.
Tell them it's a souvenir of a once-in-a-lifetime trip. And include a ribbon and card.

Such a short flight. What could go wrong?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Take offs are optional. Landings are mandatory...
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
They have not allowed liquids like that for about 10 years I guess through security.

If you are at an airport that has it on the other side of TSA, you can take it on the plane.

But, as said, their is a liquor store in baggage claim at the airport and prices are not all bad.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:23 am

I pack wine in checked baggage all the time. I wrap it in a towel or some clothes. I can't recall ever getting one of those TSA love notes while carrying wine. Wine bottles are also pretty sturdy.
joshua362, swaluvr and VRFast like this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

I think you're right....best to buy it once I arrive. Thanks all.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:13 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I pack wine in checked baggage all the time. I wrap it in a towel or some clothes. I can't recall ever getting one of those TSA love notes while carrying wine. Wine bottles are also pretty sturdy.
I agree fully. We even packed a 750 ml Titos vodka on our current trip to Las Vegas as well as two wine bottles. No issues if you pack it tightly in plastic bags and clothes. I disagree with previous poster about liquor being cheaper in Vegas…it’s not…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.