Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Get around 5/24 rule by transferring CC points to different RR acct?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List

I’m probably way over 5/24 until at least next year. I’d like to get a southwest cc. My spouse is way under 5/24. Is it possible for the points of an account to be added to the secondary person on an account instead of the primary user?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I highly doubt it but really do not know. Perhaps with the business version as Chase issues separate account numbers for each authorized user, maybe it could slip in if you apply for both at the same time? However as you can "spend" the points for whomever you wish, it does not matter whose account hold the points. (Unless you want the points for CP or TQP purposes).
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The name will not match.

You could ATTEMPT it and see what happens. When applying, put in your RR number and see what happens. If it works, great. If not.. you will have to spend some time with Cust Svc to get your points back if they go into a space time warp somewhere.

Please share why you want the card/points in your name vs hers?
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
The name will not match.

You could ATTEMPT it and see what happens. When applying, put in your RR number and see what happens. If it works, great. If not.. you will have to spend some time with Cust Svc to get your points back if they go into a space time warp somewhere.

Please share why you want the card/points in your name vs hers?
Good question. I travel for work, so the cc points added to my flights would get us to companion pass.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And to clarify - this would not be a transfer - since you can not transfer points from one acct to another.

If she does not have a card, worth a shot.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
My wife has a hotel credit card whose points are deposited into my account (my loyalty # was included with the application, even though the card is in her name). We've had it for about 6 years, no issues so far. No guarantee of your success, just a data point.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny
I’m probably way over 5/24 until at least next year. I’d like to get a southwest cc. My spouse is way under 5/24. Is it possible for the points of an account to be added to the secondary person on an account instead of the primary user?

My wife and I have been taking turns getting CP for 2 years ever since 5/24 was started.

Right now I'm lol/24 and she is heading toward 4/24 in September then 3/24, etc

I will stop getting cards around October 2021, she will start and so on

Just have her get the card, you can pay for flights in miles out of nay account, same with hotels.

The person who owns the points doesn't have to travel.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
The person who owns the points doesn't have to travel.
I was going to make the same point and then I saw that he's trying to get enough points for a companion pass on his account.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by cebee
I was going to make the same point and then I saw that he's trying to get enough points for a companion pass on his account.
Either way he can't sign up for a credit card in someone else's name and get the SUB for himself.

Best bet IMO is to hope Chase lightens up on business apps again and get 2 cards in his wife's name or maybe Chase has another deal like in the past where one personal card got you CP for a certain amount ( not ~ 2 years) of time.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Either way he can't sign up for a credit card in someone else's name and get the SUB for himself.

Best bet IMO is to hope Chase lightens up on business apps again and get 2 cards in his wife's name or maybe Chase has another deal like in the past where one personal card got you CP for a certain amount ( not ~ 2 years) of time.
He was suggesting his WIFE sign up in HER name. But, put in his RR number on the application, vs her number.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:23 am

He was suggesting his WIFE sign up in HER name. But, put in his RR number on the application, vs her number.
if wife is going to be primary or cp holder, she sh more RR pts to book for future flights; if he needs pts to fly solo, wife ofc can use pts to book for his
Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danhouston
if wife is going to be primary or cp holder, she sh more RR pts to book for future flights; if he needs pts to fly solo, wife ofc can use pts to book for his
Yes, they can do that.

BUT - if he wants to get CP - he needs them all in one account - his. I assume he has lots of points as well. And I assume he knows points only count when earned inside of one year. No carry over.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I would try & apply in the wife's name, adding the husband as an authorized user at the same time, using the husband's RR number. That way if questioned or having to fix it post, one could say there was a simple mix-up between husband & wife while entering the numbers. Given all the issues WN has matching name variants on TTF funds, I wouldn't expect the number & name matching to be that vigorous or stringent between Chase & WN. YOMV...
danhouston likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
I would try & apply in the wife's name, adding the husband as an authorized user at the same time, using the husband's RR number. That way if questioned or having to fix it post, one could say there was a simple mix-up between husband & wife while entering the numbers. Given all the issues WN has matching name variants on TTF funds, I wouldn't expect the number & name matching to be that vigorous or stringent between Chase & WN. YOMV...
worth a shot if really wanted; I guess that folks on here so far haven't done it
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:57 pm

Yea I don't see that working.

If you could get points in your account under your wife's name then you could probably get them in any persons name.

I tried something similar a couple years ago with me getting my dads SUB and spend points and not only did it not work is was a PIA getting it all straightened out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.