Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[50% off *all* fares 9/15-11/3] "We're celebrating our 50th with something BIG"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[50% off *all* fares 9/15-11/3] "We're celebrating our 50th with something BIG"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by pgh234
This is no better than any fall promo over the past 10-ish years. These are good prices that I look forward to yearly...but I was expecting something better given the hype for their 50th. They just inflated the fares 50% then gave a promo code to cut 50% off.
That wasn't my experience at all. I just saved over 27,000 points (3 RT's total).
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
This is no better than any fall promo over the past 10-ish years. These are good prices that I look forward to yearly...but I was expecting something better given the hype for their 50th. They just inflated the fares 50% then gave a promo code to cut 50% off.
not on the routes I usually fly. Actually, I had to cancel and rebook quite a few flights to get the discount and ended up with a lot of credits I will now need to use on other tickets. But well, again, worked for me, so thank you WN on your 50th ...
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
As this promo ends on Thursday I would recommend that everyone keep their eyes out on what Friday will have in-store.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
not on the routes I usually fly. Actually, I had to cancel and rebook quite a few flights to get the discount and ended up with a lot of credits I will now need to use on other tickets. But well, again, worked for me, so thank you WN on your 50th ...
yea, found low fares to 2 dest (BUF for $200 r/t in Sept, and $105 rt to LGA in Oct; just hope that car rental rate then would be more reasonable...
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Time to rescind the sale and raise ticket prices so WN can afford to pay their IT staff and keep their systems running.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Time to rescind the sale and raise ticket prices so WN can afford to pay their IT staff and keep their systems running.
unfortunately the IT outage didn't involve fares being lowered even further
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:54 pm

Just an FYI: You'll need to Cancel and Rebook any existing Points fares in order to take advantage of the sale. I'm not sure if this also applies to Cash fares, but the Change function doesn't allow the use of a promo code, so it won't reflect the sale fare. Since the promo code seems to be automatically applied to Cash fares, Change Flight may work for them -- I'm unable to verify.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:54 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
It looks like WN has jacked up base fares on many routes during the promo period to offset much of the discount, unfortunately.
Yes indeed they are! I purchased SFO-LAS-CMH on October 31 for $82 around 11:30AM and now the same route becomes $102
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by UA vs NW
Yes indeed they are! I purchased SFO-LAS-CMH on October 31 for $82 around 11:30AM and now the same route becomes $102
If you mean 11:30am today, the sale was already in place, giving you that $82 fare, and the current $102 fare reflects the current one (Southwest's fares change depending on availability.)

Earlier comments were discussing how base fares seemed to increase overnight, prior to the sale launch.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by carlitos
I am honestly curious which routes you are looking and and finding lower than historical fare sales. For example, my typical routes PIT-BWI/MDW and PIT-MCO/TPA are always offered at $49 each way or $100 each way, respectfully during the big off season fare sales...and that is where they are for this one with the "50%" discount. Nothing is lower than typical.
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
My only disappointment is while I do have a few trips I'll need to take this year, I can never accurately predict when they'll happen so I usually can't take advantage of promos like these with future windows
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:03 pm

I am honestly curious which routes you are looking and and finding lower than historical fare sales. For example, my typical routes PIT-BWI/MDW and PIT-MCO/TPA are always offered at $49 each way or $100 each way, respectfully during the big off season fare sales...and that is where they are for this one with the "50%" discount. Nothing is lower than typical.
I've been trying to push forward a R/T BUF/MCO flight for over a year. I ended up cancelling those flights, rebooking and saving 5300 points total for 2 people R/T with todays sale. I definitely lucked out, but it was for this route only.
pgh234 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: WN A&cp, SPGplat
Originally Posted by ursine1
Since the promo code seems to be automatically applied to Cash fares, Change Flight may work for them -- I'm unable to verify.
I can verify that Change Flight worked on cash, giving the promo prices. With points it triggers errors.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by UA vs NW
the $82 was all taken, and u were 1 of those customers
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
My only disappointment is while I do have a few trips I'll need to take this year, I can never accurately predict when they'll happen so I usually can't take advantage of promos like these with future windows
That's why you just book them now during the fare sale (find the cheap Tuesday 5:30am flight or so) and change them to your desired dates when the red bar appears (or the "portal" as I call it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.