Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

OK to ask potential seat mate whether s/he's vaxed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to ask potential seat mate whether s/he's vaxed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Personally, unless they are coughing, sweating and or looking unwell I could care less if my seat mate was vaccinated.
kennycrudup, bbriscoe34 and m907 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I would do the opposite if you can, find someone in the aisle with open seats next to them and say as silly and self deprecating as possible... "we're those crazy safe people, do you mind if I ask you, have you been vaccinated or tested recently?" -- If they say no, you can go to another row. If you ask someone who comes to you, it'll come off a hair more rude. Oh sorry, please don't sit here, we only want a vaxxed fellow pax next to us... probably won't fly well.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:07 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve offered the information to put people at ease, but I certainly wouldn’t try to dig it out of someone, you’re still stuck sitting next to them no matter what their answer is anyway.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I would politely ignore the person asking the question. My health status is none of that person's business. Feel free to move; I would be happy to have an entire half row of seats. Thanks.
CDTraveler, smmrfld, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Just wear this shirt on flights, at airports, and in public

https://www.amazon.com/Vaccinated-Still-Pro-Vaccine-T-Shirt/dp/B08X2HNFNB/
​​​​​​
EAJuggalo likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 28, 2021 at 4:58 pm
Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by MarianR
We will be flying Southwest in two weeks and are fully vaccinated. My husband likes the window seat so I end up in the middle. Wondering if there is any protocol about asking whoever takes the aisle seat if they've been vaccinated?
I can not imagine any circumstance where I would:
a) answer that question if asked by some random stranger
b) not tell you to mind your own d@mn business.
It is extremely intrusive, and very inappropriate. If I meet the government and airline standards for fitness to travel, I have the right to be on the plane and be seated according to the airline's protocol. I don't owe information regarding my health to other passengers.
smmrfld, wrp96, fanostra and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:37 pm

We were in Florida in March and April and on both trips were were baited into conversations by anti vaxers.

Going forward I would answer that I'm on vacation and nothing more.

The person you are asking has no idea which way a "have you been vaccinated " question will go and if you lead with you have been vaccinated the person you ask may be an anti vaxer

I don't see any good to asking that question, if you are that nervous just stay home as the people sitting around you could also pass covid.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by A16someday
if you mention that you've both been vaccinated and they reply like some of the previous posters or don't mention their status, then you'll have the answer to your question. I don't see harm in doing that much.
I like this plan. Just be all excited and giddy and blurt out "We're so happy; this is our first flight in a year and for the first time we feel safe because we're both vaccinated!". If they just grumble or grunt or don't respond at all, likely the answer is no.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I like this plan. Just be all excited and giddy and blurt out "We're so happy; this is our first flight in a year and for the first time we feel safe because we're both vaccinated!". If they just grumble or grunt or don't respond at all, likely the answer is no.
This is the same method I use with boarding numbers. I never ask "What number are you?" I just say "I'm A21, is this where I belong?" Half the time they tell me their number. That's good enough for me.
Daze, NoStressHere and screeton like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:40 am

Or they value their privacy and don't like intrusive conversations with ill-mannered strangers.

Even in this age of over-sharing some people still believe in the right to privacy, and that privacy extends to the OP, as in greeting a stranger with your personal medical history is too much sharing, keep it private.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Apr 29, 2021 at 3:54 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, how would you feel if a stranger sitting next to you asked if you were a virgin?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
No it's very invasive.

One of you should take the aisle and one the window in the back of the plane and your odds will be low of anyone sitting between you unless it's a full flight.

Even if they aren't vaccinated it won't matter, not like you can tell them move and they'll have a mask on most of the flight anyway.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
"We're so happy; this is our first flight in a year and for the first time we feel safe because we're both vaccinated!"
A1: Good for you. I am glad you feel safe, and I feel safe too because you feel safe.
A2: I am quadruple vaxxed. Let's throw a partay and celebrate!
A3: Thanks for the note.
A4: no hablo ingles

I could do this all day.
CDTraveler and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Why would you ask? Makes no sense at all.
smmrfld, jamesteroh and m907 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by MarianR
We will be flying Southwest in two weeks and are fully vaccinated. My husband likes the window seat so I end up in the middle. Wondering if there is any protocol about asking whoever takes the aisle seat if they've been vaccinated?
While you're at it, make sure to ask their political affiliation, if they've ever had cancer, what religion they are, and if they've ever had an abortion. Considering literally none of that is your business, vaccination status shouldn't be either. Maybe you should rent a car and drive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.