Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is hidden city travel allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
All of this said there is very little way for Southwest to prohibit someone from getting off a plane or with open seating to even detect if they did. The only way would be a thru count then checking the identity of everyone on the plane. It seems unlikely that they would take any action except in extraordinary cases.
And to emphasize the point, I don't think we have a single report here of anyone being penalized by WN for hidden city ticketing. That's not true on the AA forum, for sure. Obviously, the absence of a report here doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but it is different than what we see on FT for other airlines.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You can easily do it once. After all, they would have to PROVE you did not fly. Just about impossible unless you work with NCIS -LOL!

Do it on a regular basis and they will catch it.

Based on other comments and my own checking, there are very few situations where this would even save money.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I once had the OPPOSITE situation, probably once in a lifetime, where a 3 leg, all day, same plane journey took us home from the west coast SJC to LAS to TPA to the northeast. It was much cheaper to buy a ticket ( x 3 people) for the first 2 legs then another for the final leg. By TPA we were settled in the exit row and had no intentions of leaving the plane. Showed the BPs and some ID and all was good...
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by joshua362
I once had the OPPOSITE situation, probably once in a lifetime, where a 3 leg, all day, same plane journey took us home from the west coast SJC to LAS to TPA to the northeast. It was much cheaper to buy a ticket ( x 3 people) for the first 2 legs then another for the final leg. By TPA we were settled in the exit row and had no intentions of leaving the plane. Showed the BPs and some ID and all was good...
I haven’t see many 2 stop coadt to coast tickets in re r t years.

I was once on a flight that was a two stopper with delays. The last segment I got screwed as a continuing PAX but because of the gelaythey substituted planes thus I missed my last leg.

I have seen fares like that where individual segrnts purchased were cheaper than the full booked ticket from A to B

i have also seen reasonable routings of A-B-C not available for A to C bookings where the layover was 90 min-2 hrs
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
You can easily do it once. After all, they would have to PROVE you did not fly. Just about impossible unless you work with NCIS -LOL!

Based on other comments and my own checking, there are very few situations where this would even save money.
that is exactly it, dp of people who have had their accounts suspended on aa were all serial offenders.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere

Can’t they prove it by checking whether or not your ticket was scanned at the gate before walking down the jet bridge? Shouldn’t that process be 100% accurate?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:20 am

Sorry double post

Last edited by patiolanterns; Mar 1, 2022 at 12:22 am Reason: Double post
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by patiolanterns
Can’t they prove it by checking whether or not your ticket was scanned at the gate before walking down the jet bridge? Shouldn’t that process be 100% accurate?
Those scanners don't work right 100% of the time. I've had cases where the boarding pass doesn't scan, GA looks at it and just waves me on.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:33 am

Heck, at least 10% of the time a GA comes onto the plane and says "we're looking for the following pax...John Doe, Mary Smith, etc". Occasionally that person is on the plane and they'll hit their call button.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by patiolanterns
If you are on a direct flight number and deplane at an intermediate stop, WN will know the pax count is off, but it will be difficult to ascertain who departed. When hidden city was accepted, I would tell the FA that I was leaving so that they knew that the pax count would be off.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:00 am

If I were to do this, I think I would not include my RR number in the reservation.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
If you are on a direct flight number and deplane at an intermediate stop, WN will know the pax count is off, but it will be difficult to ascertain who departed. When hidden city was accepted, I would tell the FA that I was leaving so that they knew that the pax count would be off.
If the count is off, ops brings down a manifest and checks IDs. We very much know who deplaned (or who stayed on).
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:09 am

I was once explicitly advised by a representative to get off at my layover when I had asked about changing my flight to that destination...
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Goes2Oz
I want to go ABQ-OAK. If I buy a ticket ABQ-OAK-DEN (cheapest) and get off in OAK is there a penalty of any sort or can I just do this?
Remember, you have a ticket to DEN. If they have flight interuptions, they could put you on other flight(s) to get your to Denver - but not to Oakland.

A risk, but still may worth taking a chance.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:18 am

Airlines generally concentrate their efforts on repeat offenders. Hard to see how WN cancels the return ticket. It's not like you had an assigned seat on the manifest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.