Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Normal Policy getting off during layover?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Normal Policy getting off during layover?

This applies to flights that have a stop, where you are continuing onward.

Prior to Covid, the turn arounds were short - a. Southwest speciality.

But now - looks like that time is closer to one hour for cleaning I guess. So, do they let folks off and what is the normal procedure? Wait until everyone else leaves? Can you change your mind and get off 20 minutes later? When can you reboard? For this scenario, I am traveling with my spouse.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: LTP, PP
No idea post Covid affect but pre it was very simple, I would ask and if it was more time than the standard turnaround (say 45 min instead of 25) it was always granted, just bring ID to get back on. Show ID just as soon as they get ready to preboard, they check the screen and you are on. Always left my stuff behind in the exit row. YMMV now.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Southwest
On a OGG-LAS trip two weeks ago with about a 90 minute lay over in SMF, no plane change, we exited after they had their count. The FA mentioned as we were leaving that we could not reboard until they starting boarding for the next flight. We did not try to reboard until we’re about to start boarding. Pretty normal.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 1:26 pm

There has been a clarification of this policy recently to employees. Once thru passengers have deplaned if they so choose, they will not be re-boarded until the next flight begins the boarding process. (Previously, passengers in some instances had the opportunity to re-board the airplane at their leisure if an agent was available.) This has to do with issues of FAA minimum crew requirements as well as ensuring that thru passengers are accounted for properly.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 8:09 pm
Suspended

I'm assuming though you board with the pre-boarders and they don't try to pull a fast one on you and don't let you board until the B/C groups are called.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
If turnaround time allows, you can deplane at any time after they have their thru count. Have done it quite a bit and FA have just told us to let GA at door know we are thru passengers getting off for a bit.

You can not reboard till they start the boarding process and you just have to show ID and get back on even before pre-boarders.

Have even had a few flights where we had a bit of a layover and they made all the thru passengers get off since they had to do a crew change and new crew has not yet arrived. We still got to reboard first and retain our seats,
Old Feb 27, 2021, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
I'm assuming though you board with the pre-boarders and they don't try to pull a fast one on you and don't let you board until the B/C groups are called.
You would be the first general boarders, after pre-board but before local A1. That said, if you came in with the airplane then you already have a bag on the seat you want to sit in thus the order of boarding is less important.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
First time WIN flyer, well, decades since my last flight. I am flying FLL-IAH-LAS in June. Can I improve my seating choice when everyone else deplanes? Can I snag an exit row?
Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
First time WIN flyer, well, decades since my last flight. I am flying FLL-IAH-LAS in June. Can I improve my seating choice when everyone else deplanes? Can I snag an exit row?
Thanks.
Yes. As you're taxiing in, the flight attendants will ask everyone continuing on to the next city to remain seated and let the local passengers deplane, and to remain seated while they count the passengers staying onboard to go on to the next city. Once they confirm that count as correct, they'll announce that you are free to get up, use the restroom, and/or change seats for the next flight.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:57 pm

Although in fact, assuming you want to move to a seat ahead of where you were, you can get up as if deplaning, take your desired seat, and you'll be in place before they do the through count.
pbiflyer and joshua362 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by rove312
Although in fact, assuming you want to move to a seat ahead of where you were, you can get up as if deplaning, take your desired seat, and you'll be in place before they do the through count.
...and its best to initially sit BEHIND the exit row if that is your half time goal.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Thanks all for some great advice!
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:28 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Yes, you can definitely move around. They'll ask you to stay in your original seat for a couple of minutes after people get off so they can count the number of through passengers. They'll then make an announcement once they're done, and you're free to move to a new seat.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
(disregard)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.