Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fresno and Santa Barbara to begin in 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards A+, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards
Folks really drive from Bakersfield to Sacramento, daily? 4 hours each way??!!
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Anywhere on the road
Folks really drive from Bakersfield to Sacramento, daily? 4 hours each way??!!
Yes, it is! Very easy drive from Bakersfield to SMF. Isn't too bad at all.

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
I could see FAT-SAN and SBA to SJC or OAK. All of the above could offer Hawaii connections.
That'll do. They will considered it. I'm sure they will take a flight to OAK or SJC. Yes, they can catch Hawaii flights from OAK or SJC.

Last edited by N830MH; Dec 18, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Southwest has release a schedule date for Fresno and Santa Barbara.

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...s-as-low-as-39

FAT to Las Vegas and Denver. Effective on April 25, 2021.

SBA to Oakland, Las Vegas and Denver. Effective on April 12, 2021.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:54 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by N830MH

Surprised by the lack of intra-California options for both.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH

I was hoping for a MDW to FAT flight, but now they are directly competing with United, because they have the same ORD-DEN-FAT route.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Putnik
I was hoping for a MDW to FAT flight, but now they are directly competing with United, because they have the same ORD-DEN-FAT route.
United should be restoring the nonstop ORD-FAT in coming months. It has stayed in the future schedules but has been part of the rolling cuts as UA watches traffic.

Last month, FAT handled about 60% of its December 2019 traffic number. Other California airports that I have seen report so far for December 2020 were under 40% of their December 2019 traffic.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FATFlyer
United should be restoring the nonstop ORD-FAT in coming months. It has stayed in the future schedules but has been part of the rolling cuts as UA watches traffic.

Last month, FAT handled about 60% of its December 2019 traffic number. Other California airports that I have seen report so far for December 2020 were under 40% of their December 2019 traffic.
I didn't know that United had a direct ORD-FAT flight. I worked on a project in the fall of 2019 and my only option was a 35-40 minute layover at DEN. After running thru the huge Denver airport a couple times, I decided to fly Southwest direct to San Jose and drive 2 hours to Fresno. That ended up being much more relaxing.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:10 pm

I didn't know that United had a direct ORD-FAT flight. I worked on a project in the fall of 2019 and my only option was a 35-40 minute layover at DEN. After running thru the huge Denver airport a couple times, I decided to fly Southwest direct to San Jose and drive 2 hours to Fresno. That ended up being much more relaxing.
The FAT-ORD flight became year round in 2019 after previously being a summer seasonal, you should have been able to see it in schedules. In 2019 it was a night arrival in Fresno with a quick turn back to ORD as a red-eye. When it resumes this year the eastbound red-eye is supposedly gone with the aircraft instead RON in Fresno for a morning departure to ORD.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt that. If they add more nonstop flights FAT to MDW, HOU, DAL, BWI, PHX, BNA and else.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Love it!! Just switched an April trip from MCI-LAX-MCI to MCI-DEN-SBA-LAS-MCI.

Happily trade an extra ~2h30m each way in gate-to-gate time to avoid the entire LAX rental car process and LA-to-Santa Barbara traffic.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Love it!! Just switched an April trip from MCI-LAX-MCI to MCI-DEN-SBA-LAS-MCI.

Happily trade an extra ~2h30m each way in gate-to-gate time to avoid the entire LAX rental car process and LA-to-Santa Barbara traffic.
It is a pretty drive though along the PCH, once you get to it.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It is a pretty drive though along the PCH, once you get to it.
It is! We've done it quite a few times.

Honestly the drive...once past LA...isn't the part I hate. It's dealing with LAX that I'm most thrilled to avoid. Renting a car always adds a solid 30-45 minutes each way to the trip. Because the process of getting *back* to the terminal when we leave can take so long, and the traffic getting there is so variable, we inevitably feel the need to be dropping the car off 2+ hours before the flight.

This will be my first flight into SBA. Sight unseen I'm going to assume that it's a fairly low-stress airport and rental car process. Timing is also better....we arrive around lunchtime and depart late afternoon, giving us several more hours in the area than if we were using LAX.

We talked about heading up the coast a bit one day along PCH. Might depend on what's open in April...
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:48 am

Flew DEN-SBA and SBA-LAS over the weekend. Lovely small airport. Really happy WN added this one.
N830MH likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Flew DEN-SBA and SBA-LAS over the weekend. Lovely small airport. Really happy WN added this one.
Glad to hear it! Hope you have a great flight. Enjoy the flight!
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Colin
predict SBA destinations will be OAK, SMF, LAS
SBA-SMF now on fall schedule 1x daily nonstop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.