Wiki Posts
Search

Three Flights To Orlando Within 20 Minutes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Three Flights To Orlando Within 20 Minutes

So what's the story here? I booked a ticket from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Orlando (MCO) this past Saturday and the only flight available showing on their website was at 8:20am. Yet when I got to the airport they showed 3 flights to Orlando, all departing within a 20-minutes of each other. There were people waiting at all 3 gates. Were they all going beyond Orlando or perhaps connecting in Orlando? I had never seen anything like that before.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Those are through flights. For example, just below in that picture notice the same flight number (2724), gate, and time to Pittsburgh. That flight went FLL-BNA-PIT-MCO. Technically, it was a flight to Orlando...but I imagine no one took that route. It is silly that it shows up on flight monitors as a flight to MCO when no one will take it as such.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: SW A-list, Marriott, National
And 2454 is FLL-HOU-AUS-MCO.

I agree, I've been annoyed in the terminal seeing a flight leaving 30-60 minutes before mine on the departure board, wondering why I didn't take that one, until it's clear it isn't a nonstop.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 7:39 pm

Got to love with traffic down over 75% in the NY/NJ area year over year, Newark and LGA are still showing delays. If they had one flight a day, I can still see EWR being delayed.
Franky16, rmc1, alggag and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Doesn't pertain to this case but DL/UA/AA will also post the codeshare airline/flight number. For example, I was at DAB flying up to ATL and our flight number continued on (with an A/C swap of course as MD88's can't cross the pond ) to Paris. Confused a lot of people because when it scrolled it also popped up as "Paris" as the destination.
SUPERTRAVEL and synergistic like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Chris737
And 2454 is FLL-HOU-AUS-MCO.

I agree, I've been annoyed in the terminal seeing a flight leaving 30-60 minutes before mine on the departure board, wondering why I didn't take that one, until it's clear it isn't a nonstop.
Is this a new thing or have they been doing it for awhile? I noticed it for the first time a few weeks ago. I even went to the counter asking for standby for the direct flight...
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by m907
Is this a new thing or have they been doing it for awhile? I noticed it for the first time a few weeks ago. I even went to the counter asking for standby for the direct flight...
It happened to me in 2019 with Southwest. "Can I standby on that earlier flight?" Sure, if you don't mind stopping in ROC first...
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by m907
in this case it’s the FLL airport system. It’s been like this for years. I understand one-stop flights but I never understood posting 2+
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
This happens in many cities. I was not paying attention and was actually sitting at the wrong gate since it was going to my destination. Only way I noticed is when the screen started showing weather for a DIFFERENT city. Glad I noticed it in time to not miss the correct non stop flight. (this was at BWI heading to Nashville). I had options to fly via South Carolina or Orlando I think... LOL
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Dec 17, 2020 at 5:34 pm
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Thanks, guys! I assumed they were all going nonstop to Orlando and then dispersing to other cities when in fact it was the other way around, lol.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:20 am

Usually the airport controls those monitors, not the airline. Why they wouldn't just show the next flight is beyond me. At the end of the day pax should only be matching flight numbers on their BP to screens, but obviously this can still be confusing to look at!
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Usually the airport controls those monitors, not the airline. Why they wouldn't just show the next flight is beyond me. At the end of the day pax should only be matching flight numbers on their BP to screens, but obviously this can still be confusing to look at!
Yea... here is the issue why they need to show those connecting flights. If the nonstop is sold out or only has the higher fares left, some people would have booked the connecting flightand not the nonstop. And yes, folks should match BP and flight number... but you know how it is schlepping through airport, a few drinks, long day, etc. LOL
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I saw a similar thing in OAK one time. There was a Southwest flight "to Sacramento". I don't remember exactly what the routing was, but it was something like OAK-SEA-BOI-SMF. You can't even book a flight from Oakland to Sacramento on Southwest, but the airport pieces together these flights and displays them just to confuse us.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.