Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Middle seat blocking extended through 11/30/2020 [was: 10/31/2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle seat blocking extended through 11/30/2020 [was: 10/31/2020]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:59 am

CNBC:

​KEY POINTS
  • Southwest said its October capacity will likely fall 40 to 45% in October and 35% to 40% in November.
  • The low-cost carrier will keep middle seats open until the end of November for travelers not flying together.
  • The Dallas-based airline trimmed its cash-burn estimate for the third quarter to $17 million a day from an earlier estimate of $20 million.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
Southwest website now showing middle seat blocking through November 30th.
This is good news, thank you. I was going to make sure I flew back home before October 30 because I don't want to sit next to anyone, but this gives me more flexibility to book on a later date. Having just flown on Southwest, I can say that no middle seat isn't even that large of a buffer to begin with and everyone is still rather close to one another, so the thought of having middle seats filled is a definite "no" from me.
Boraxo and screeton like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Will they let us bring the car-seat for our under-2 lap-child and buckle it into the middle seat? Pre-Covid it was allowed "as long as the flight isn't sold out and there are ample available seats."
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Good news! Have a family Hawaii trip booked on points over Thanksgiving week and was concerned about a 6 hour flight on a fully loaded aircraft. But, I doubt Hawaii will be open to mainlanders in November without a 2 week quarantine.

With the US passport rendered all but worthless now, Hawaii is about as exotic a destination as we can access.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Glad for the extension. I flew yesterday on a packed flight - wasn't excited about that but happy to have middle seat blocked.

Originally Posted by dlaue
Good news! Have a family Hawaii trip booked on points over Thanksgiving week and was concerned about a 6 hour flight on a fully loaded aircraft. But, I doubt Hawaii will be open to mainlanders in November without a 2 week quarantine.

With the US passport rendered all but worthless now, Hawaii is about as exotic a destination as we can access.
I would not count on Hawaii being open to visitors from the mainland sans quarantine. If you want the almost "sure thing" I would go with Mexico.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Glad for the extension. I flew yesterday on a packed flight - wasn't excited about that but happy to have middle seat blocked.

I would not count on Hawaii being open to visitors from the mainland sans quarantine. If you want the almost "sure thing" I would go with Mexico.
We are not counting on it. We have a backup reservation for next February and we are not even sure that will happen.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
For all those folks that somehow KNEW that Oct 31 was a firm date.... well.... lesson learned.

Never assume anything.
screeton and steved5480 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
We are not counting on it. We have a backup reservation for next February and we are not even sure that will happen.
Didn't Hawaii just announce 10/15 with a negative test within 72 hours?
Old Sep 17, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
For all those folks that somehow KNEW that Oct 31 was a firm date.... well.... lesson learned.

Never assume anything.
Uh, it said right on their marketing when this was posted, that middle seats would be empty "THROUGH OCTOBER 31" changed from previous language that said "THROUGH AT LEAST OCTOBER 31."

The extension to November 30 was likely due to pushback from customers to their "quietly stated" October 31 deadline.

Folks looking to book holiday travel for Thanksgiving were seeing Southwest's policy and asking questions.. learning the planes would be packed full in November and opted to go with Delta who was still advertising middle seats being kept open.

Expect additional extensions... as long as Delta keeps it up. I'm surprised Southwest didn't just push the extension out to December 31 at this point.
expert7700 likes this.

Last edited by storewanderer; Sep 17, 2020 at 12:31 am
Old Sep 17, 2020, 4:06 am
Original Member

I thought car seats had to be on the window so they didn't obstruct exit.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sggolf
I thought car seats had to be on the window so they didn't obstruct exit.
Good point, you're right. So we could sit mom and dad in the middle and aisle, and then carseat by window.

Curious to hear about anyone's experience with baby/carseat flying post-Covid.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:45 pm

I'm sticking with no flying for the foreseeable future, but there's something I've been curious about in theory - does the middle seat blocking rule allow pairs who are flying together to take the middle and window seats and leave the aisle open for more distance from the people on the other side of the aisle? Curious as it's still using only two out of three seats in the name of increasing social distance.

My first thought when initially hearing about middle seat blocking was that in a hypothetical wherein I'd be willing to fly, I'd prefer a situation where my companion and I took a middle and window with an empty aisle seat, ideally across from another pair who did the same (if there were at least two people in each row). I don't know if it would be allowed, but I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen anyone discuss the concept. Of course I may have missed it.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by mdword
I'm sticking with no flying for the foreseeable future, but there's something I've been curious about in theory - does the middle seat blocking rule allow pairs who are flying together to take the middle and window seats and leave the aisle open for more distance from the people on the other side of the aisle? Curious as it's still using only two out of three seats in the name of increasing social distance.

My first thought when initially hearing about middle seat blocking was that in a hypothetical wherein I'd be willing to fly, I'd prefer a situation where my companion and I took a middle and window with an empty aisle seat, ideally across from another pair who did the same (if there were at least two people in each row). I don't know if it would be allowed, but I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen anyone discuss the concept. Of course I may have missed it.
Yes. From the website:

Middle seats open through November 30 to provide Customers more personal space onboard.
  • Customers can pick their seat—if you’re traveling together, you’re welcome to sit together.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: LTP, PP
FWIW, in the middle of the hockey game last night (boo on the result...), a (silly) "WGA" WN commercial referenced the hard 10/31/20 date. They are not in sync!
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I just received the email: They are extending middle seat open through 11/30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.