Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will LUV head to JFK after MIA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Will LUV head to JFK after MIA?

With Southwest moving into MIA, is there an opportunity for LUV to add capacity and transcons out of JFK? Seems the NYC market is still a hole in Southwest's network by only serving LGA with a limited number of non stop flights.

Although the FAA could have put up road blocks, I wish WN would have made a merger offer to JetBlue during April or May. Southwest could have picked up JetBlue for a cheap price. Adding JetBlue's slots at JFK and BOS, along with its network serving the Caribbean and Latin America could have bulked up Southwest to better compete with Delta.

Another hole in Southwest's network appears to be flying to Canada and serving Toronto and Vancouver. Wonder if this will change soon.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Not a good idea. JFK is a slots controlled. It won't be JFK. Sorry!

Because NYC airspace is very full. They won't let go to JFK. Due to slot restrictions.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
Not a good idea. JFK is a slots controlled. It won't be JFK. Sorry!

Because NYC airspace is very full. They won't let go to JFK. Due to slot restrictions.
By going into MIA, LUV seems to be taking on AAL directly. JFK is a hub of AAL that is shrinking for them. There maybe slots available as AAL shrinks its network and other carriers may downsize due to a decrease demand from Covid. LGA is also slot controlled, but LUV seems to have made that venture work. Would like Southwest to run JFK - LGB and BOS - LGB flights that Jetblue surrendered.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgasser
By going into MIA, LUV seems to be taking on AAL directly. JFK is a hub of AAL that is shrinking for them. There maybe slots available as AAL shrinks its network and other carriers may downsize due to a decrease demand from Covid. LGA is also slot controlled, but LUV seems to have made that venture work. Would like Southwest to run JFK - LGB and BOS - LGB flights that Jetblue surrendered.
And also, DL is a hub, too. They still have JFK hub. Could AA vacanted JFK terminals or reduce gates?
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:02 am

WN going into MIA and likely serving MIA-ATL/BWI isn't that hard as going into JFK and running transcons. Also, if it can't make MDW-EWR work or wants to keep MDW-LGA healthy, it'd seem adding MDW-JFK just would be even more dilution of MDW-LGA. Also, there might be challenges with stimulating the long distance markets (not served from LGA). I'm not sure how many people are comfortable wearing a mask for a 4 hour+ flight. Probably easier trying to increasing demand with 2 hour distance flights, in states with less restrictive lockdown measures.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by bgasser
With Southwest moving into MIA, is there an opportunity for LUV to add capacity and transcons out of JFK? Seems the NYC market is still a hole in Southwest's network by only serving LGA with a limited number of non stop flights.
Why not consolidate their position at LGA? I'm struggling to see why it would make sense for them to up sticks and head for JFK (or EWR), or split themselves between two airports.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Silver
With the exodus of people from NYC it's probably not a good time to increase flights there.
pitflyer and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
They are focusing on fighting to pick up market share in leisure destinations and military markets (Norfolk to San Diego). JFK is neither.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I don't see them going into JFK unless they either buyout B6 or they want to become a player on transcons.

Personally I see them starting token service to ORD before JFK ever comes along.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why not consolidate their position at LGA? I'm struggling to see why it would make sense for them to up sticks and head for JFK (or EWR), or split themselves between two airports.
They just recently pulled out of EWR. So, yeah, it would be surprising to see them return to EWR or add JFK.

https://crankyflier.com/2019/08/01/w...eaving-newark/
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
They are focusing on fighting to pick up market share in leisure destinations and military markets (Norfolk to San Diego). JFK is neither.
Exactly and JFK already has AA+B6/DL
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Exactly and JFK already has AA+B6/DL
Right! But not for WN, F9, NK, G4. Only for AA, B6, DL has a hub. Due to slot controlled. It won't be JFK. That won't be necessary.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alggag
Personally I see them starting token service to ORD before JFK ever comes along.
I would be a big fan of that! Most of my Chicago-area trips are to the northern suburbs to visit family. I split between AA and WN, just depending on fares and flight times and how many others are with me, but WN to ORD would be the best of both worlds. I have no idea if it actually makes any business sense vs. other options on the table, but I'd certainly take advantage of it.

Random trivia: a friend's grandfather flew ORD-DCA on WN a few years ago. It was one of those charters that took veterans to visit the WWII memorial. He's been a Chicago guy his whole life and was well aware that flying WN out of ORD was something very few people have done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.