Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (UA and others end domestic change fees)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (UA and others end domestic change fees)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:40 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Colin
now, WN without standby is uncompetitive. WGA travelers wanting to get on an earlier flight have to pay 3 or 4x for the privilege on WN, nothing on the others.

Prediction. WN will go the basic route w/o standby, WGAs will be higher and allow standby.
Or there could be a slightly higher fare class called WGA Flex or similar which allows free standby without A-list status.

But I have a different suggestion. Copy Virgin America's novel "Plans Change" pass. For a $25 ancillary fee you got extra flexibility. The VX fee made a VX ticket act almost like a WN ticket. In this case I'm suggesting a fixed non-refundable fee to buy standby privileges. For a higher fee throw in boarding after A15.

We don't like fees but we like the lower fares they make possible.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Colin
now, WN without standby is uncompetitive. WGA travelers wanting to get on an earlier flight have to pay 3 or 4x for the privilege on WN, nothing on the others.

Prediction. WN will go the basic route w/o standby, WGAs will be higher and allow standby.
Honestly, I hope WN does *not* add a Basic Economy tier (or a WGA+ tier that would essentially make WGA the same thing). Southwest already has great value to me because of its more frequent nonstops to where I want to go. Yes, I like the standby benefit as an A-lister, but I use it maybe once a year. It's not a big deal because I usually book the flight I want to begin with.

If they think they can add standby to a regular WGA fare, fine. (I assume they would be behind A-listers on the list.) But this one thing isn't important enough to change the structure. I like WN's simplicity and, generally-speaking, fairness. And it seems to have worked for them as well, based on generally profitable operations outside of this stupid year we're in now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.