Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards Points Gift Cards Backordered

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN
Rapid Rewards Points Gift Cards Backordered

When redeeming Rapid Rewards points for gift cards that indicate BACKORDERED, what is the probability of receiving them?
Old Aug 25, 2020, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Vitaforce
When redeeming Rapid Rewards points for gift cards that indicate BACKORDERED, what is the probability of receiving them?
dont have an answer for you but where can you get gift cards now? Thought the site was down due to covid
Old Aug 25, 2020, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN
Originally Posted by Ivan Marsic
dont have an answer for you but where can you get gift cards now? Thought the site was down due to covid

https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewar...m-more-rewards

It's for Chase Southwest Airlines credit card holders only.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Gift Card pickings are real slim right now, mainly restaurant chains. This one (Outback) says 1-2 weeks delayed. I can't imagine there is shortage of plastic, perhaps the fulfillment house is overwhelmed. If they take the order, why wouldn't it come through eventually? Especially given that I do also think WN has (temporarily?) pulled the most popular GC's (Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, etc) to prevent a possible run on the bank.

$50 Outback Steakhouse® Gift CardQuantity
Update Item Number 02131 Unit Price 5,000 5,000Points
This item is on backorder. Allow 1-2 weeks for delivery.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 7:41 pm

Have had that happen before...they were always sent eventually. Agree that the most useful sites have been pulled...makes this a much less appealing option now.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I thought they pulled redemptions some months ago for all but 3-4 crappy GCs.

Because if they didn’t, 100,000,000,000 points would have been dumped on them at a time when they need all the cash they can hang onto.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Because if they didn’t, 100,000,000,000 points would have been dumped on them at a time when they need all the cash they can hang onto.
There's maybe 75% of the ones offered previously still on the site, but the most useful/popular, such as Amazon, Starbucks, Walmart, etc. are gone.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:36 pm

In March they briefly stopped all More Rewards redemption. A few weeks later it returned, but available only to Rapid Rewards Visa cardholders (likely since Chase advertises it as a card perk), and with the big gift cards removed (Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart). There are still dozens of gift card options available, although that does include restaurants and other businesses that may not survive the pandemic.

In addition to gift cards, there are redemption options available for merchandise, travel (including, oddly enough, international flights), rental car, hotel, and "experiences." All remain offered at a relatively unfavorable exchange rate.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 11:39 am

Points necessary for cardholder redemption appear to have jumped about 50% overnight. Wow.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
OMG. some as low as a 1/3 of a cent per dollar, others no more than 2/3. Sneaky devalue. Broke the traditional penny a point quickly then more.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Points necessary for cardholder redemption appear to have jumped about 50% overnight. Wow.
Originally Posted by joshua362
OMG. some as low as a 1/3 of a cent per dollar, others no more than 2/3. Sneaky devalue. Broke the traditional penny a point quickly then more.
Big surprise.

Was obvious to me long ago they couldn’t offer this forever. Soon 78 to the dollar for airfare will be history I predict.

The number of RR points in existence must be astronomical and WN is bleeding cash from what I can tell. Time to burn.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:30 pm

Big surprise.

Was obvious to me long ago they couldn’t offer this forever. Soon 78 to the dollar for airfare will be history I predict.

The number of RR points in existence must be astronomical and WN is bleeding cash from what I can tell. Time to burn.
so glad I just cashed out travel funds for 30k points.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Yep - I wonder if the covid situation was causing them to see cash outflows due to gift card redemptions.

I redeemed some before and some after the devaluation. The way I see it, it could be quite a while before I can fly again and my desire is likely lower than others. If it's 2022 before I get on a plane and travel again, I'd prefer to just have gift cards I can use in the meantime. I had built up a good points balance with credit cards and don't want to see them sit idle. It's better if they effectively get converted to cash that I can be more flexible with. (effective conversion means getting gift cards that reduce my normal cash expenditures)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.