Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Point Conversions due to reduced use

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Point Conversions due to reduced use

Any tips on converting SW RR points to something more usable, now that it's less realistic to be flying in the near future? Looks like gift cards might be the best option to get 1 cent per point, unless anything else is higher? Flights were about 1.5c/point, but it's going to be a while before I get back on a flight.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Not really right now IMO. I just took right now, the GC pickings are slim and very niche, mostly restaurants and many have broken the .01 floor, i.e. 3000 points for $25

By intent or by accident, they have certainly taken steps to prevent a run on redemption by removing the most valuable GC's such as Amazon or Loews/Home Depot.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Hopefully you are aware that you can use those points to purchase near in flights, immediately cancel and the points will go out to Sept, 2022 expiration.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:00 am

Points expire? Do they still need activity? Thought this was all done away with.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Points expire? Do they still need activity? Thought this was all done away with.
You need to add some points every two years or the account is closed.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
You need to add some points every two years or the account is closed.
Last fall they announced points never expire. Terms and condiitons (https://www.southwest.com/html/gener...tions_faq.html) indicate if you close your account then you would lose your points. Other than a forced account closure due to violation of terms, it does not appear there is any "old account" deactivation in place at Southwest and thus your points should be good even with no activity in 24 months.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by joshua362
You are correct. RR points expiration, expired on 10-17-2019.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Of course. I was confusing points with funds.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Southwest GCs are the only thing I've found it worthwhile to spend my RR points on, aside from RR flight redemptions. I've still got a handful of GCs from my last buy, before CV struck. I'm in no rush to buy more. Also, due to CV, my RR balance really hasn't gone up much the past several months. I feel no pressure to spend down my balance right now.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:55 pm

Points don't expire. You don't need activity every 2 years anymore.

Points redemptions for anything other than flights is via More Rewards, but that's currently limited only to Chase Southwest card holders.

Gift card offerings at More Rewards have been pared way back and no longer include ones like Southwest, Amazon, or big-box retailers.

Merchandise, hotel, and rental car offerings are still available but the redemption rate is very poor.

Last edited by ursine1; Jul 23, 2020 at 5:54 pm Reason: typos
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Southwest GCs are the only thing I've found it worthwhile to spend my RR points on, aside from RR flight redemptions. I've still got a handful of GCs from my last buy, before CV struck. I'm in no rush to buy more. Also, due to CV, my RR balance really hasn't gone up much the past several months. I feel no pressure to spend down my balance right now.
Maybe I missed something, but how/why are WN Gift Cards better than just using points?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for responses. I'm not worried about expiration - more just flexibility and some component of time value of money, plus risk of inflation. The airlines are in a tough spot financially and so my balance is a little too large for my comfort. I had been building a balance and achieved the companion pass so I could take numerous low-cost weekend trips with my partner. We got a few in before COVID-19 struck, but now it's going to be a while. I'm looking to cash out maybe half of my balance just for risk management. I'm planning to use them for some of the restaurant ones - I don't feel like there are too many better options, but I don't mind carry out food.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Maybe I missed something, but how/why are WN Gift Cards better than just using points?
I haven't done the math but perhaps its because by using the WN GC earns more points when you use them? Plus flight credits and points towards CP?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
It's confusing to me too. Southwest's points have historically held at 1.5 cents of value per point. If you convert it to dollars, you effectively take that 0.5 cent benefit per point away.

The benefits that could accrue might include:

1. Ability to gift Southwest credits
2. Concern that points might be devalued, so you'd prefer to have gift cards, which are denominated in dollars instead of points

Maybe there are more considerations though?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ankitgu
I'm planning to use them for some of the restaurant ones
Don't overlook the risk that a restaurant chain could go out of business, rendering its gift cards worthless.
steved5480 and joshua362 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.