Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA 1392 hits person on runway in AUS

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by BearX220
Looks like the nacelle hit a car, not a comparatively flimsy person.
hitting a 170 pound person at 140 mph can do this type of damage. Ever see the damage to a car that hits a deer at 50 mph? some scientific formula about energy related to the square of velocity, I believe.
Old May 8, 2020, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
hitting a 170 pound person at 140 mph can do this type of damage. Ever see the damage to a car that hits a deer at 50 mph? some scientific formula about energy related to the square of velocity, I believe.
If I remember physics, F = ma, so the weight of the airplane and the weight of the pedestrian matter too. Otherwise hitting a deer and hitting a mosquito at 50 mph would be equally bad except for the deer having a bigger surface area to potentially have contact with the vehicle.
joshua362, trooper and steved5480 like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by joshua362
Must have impacted at quite the high speed. Thankfully for the long runways at AUS. I think Vr is about 130 knots (rotation or lift off) and V1 (the speed beyond which takeoffshould no longer be aborted) is below that. I believe it.
Vr is rotation speed. Liftoff doesn't occur for several seconds after rotation. VLOF is the liftoff speed but it's not something that we deal with in daily operation.

VLOF = Lift-off Speed is the airspeed at which the aeroplane first becomes airborne.

V1 is Takeoff Decision Speed. That's a bit of a misnomer as the reject must be initiated no later than V1. In order to initiate the reject by V1, the decision to reject must be already made.

Landings are almost always at a slower airspeed than takeoffs due to the takeoff being at a heavier weight and a lower flap setting.
joshua362, tusphotog and wavid like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:08 pm

I'd love to see any finding/transcript confirming "the aircraft maneuvered to avoid an individual on runway." Speeds consistent with the impact damage make that a little problematic.

Travis EMS: "approx 30-year-old male, obvious DOA."
Old May 8, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Is WN preemptively training their pilots to be train drivers in case they have to downsize?
Old May 8, 2020, 8:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Palal
Is WN preemptively training their pilots to be train drivers in case they have to downsize?
I thinks it's harder for a train to swerve to avoid hitting something
Old May 8, 2020, 11:01 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by LegalTender
I'd love to see any finding/transcript confirming "the aircraft maneuvered to avoid an individual on runway." Speeds consistent with the impact damage make that a little problematic.
Seeing that statement bothered me as well. Student drivers are taught it is dangerous to succumb to the impulse to swerve to avoid hitting a squirrel or other small animal in the road. Imagine your aircraft suddenly swerves just after touchdown!

What else could the pilot do? Attempt to pull up? Various impulses are plausible, but wouldn't training be to do nothing? I know a student pilot who hit a deer on landing the school's prop plane, so surely runway collision situations are part of pilot training.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Various impulses are plausible, but wouldn't training be to do nothing? I know a student pilot who hit a deer on landing the school's prop plane, so surely runway collision situations are part of pilot training.
I don't think they train in the sim for avoiding deer, people, other things on the runway. It's an instinct and reaction thing. When they say "maneuver to avoid," it's probably being interpreted as "swerving to avoid." You don't swerve a 737 at any speed. It's not a car.

They likely put a slight rudder input in, but by the time you see, identify (hey, there's something there!), and react, you've covered a lot of pavement.
joshua362, CA1900, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:33 am

I doubt the PR flak on-call had any basis for claiming the pilot performed a high speed deviation.

It sounded merciful and warm-hearted.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Pilots are taught "situational awareness", a fancy term for being aware of your surroundings at all times. Pilots are also taught to "go around" when a long landing or obstacle is spotted on the runway and braking hard straight head is not going to work. I don't think any plane would want to swerve at more than a taxi speed, they make lousy ground vehicles ! Deer can be a problem and often controllers and other aircraft announce them when they are on the move.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
ATC and pilot conversations:

Old May 19, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I don't think they train in the sim for avoiding deer, people, other things on the runway. It's an instinct and reaction thing. .
Nothing is left to "an instinct and reaction thing" as a pilot.

Pilots DO train for exactly that...it is called a "Go Around" where you abort the landing then climb like you were taking off to avoid a runway incursion. There is no "maneuvering" a plane of any size on final across the threshold about to land or after touching down. You either slow down and land or speed up and climb, any other actions other than adjustments for those two scenarios in that phase of flight is asking for a catastrophic result be it a single engine Cessna or a 737.
joshua362 and lougord99 like this.

Last edited by PAX62; May 19, 2020 at 1:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.