Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Extensions of Elite Status, CP, Travel funds, and option to convert funds to points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extensions of Elite Status, CP, Travel funds, and option to convert funds to points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
As of right now Southwest hasn't announced any accommodation for those who already earned CP this year. That may change.
Originally Posted by nsx
The 25000 points are CPQP, not redeemable points. Once you have earned a CP in 2020, flight count and CPQP's become irrelevant and are not displayed.

You are correct that Southwest has not given you any compensation for inability to use your CP this year. Whereas people who earned the CP in 2019 got 6 extra months.
You both are Fantastic! Thank you! I'm happy to get some clarification on that! MUCH appreciated!
Old Sep 26, 2020, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by jmw
Seems like there is no extension for new TTF after Sep 7th. I cancelled a bunch of very cheap cash flights that I was unlikely to fly and it looks like that was the right move.
So... I completely forgot about $400 of flights I should've canceled. Are all travel funds issued after September 7th just valid for the normal 1 year after the original booking date again? Also, is the travel funds to points conversion no longer available?

If the covid travel funds extension and point conversion are both dead is there any way to at least partially salvage my mistake?
Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by mster
So... I completely forgot about $400 of flights I should've canceled. Are all travel funds issued after September 7th just valid for the normal 1 year after the original booking date again? Also, is the travel funds to points conversion no longer available?

If the covid travel funds extension and point conversion are both dead is there any way to at least partially salvage my mistake?

Yes: Non-extended travel funds cancelled post-9/7/2020 are valid from one year from the original booking date.

Travel funds to points conversion is only valid on funds with a 9/7/2022 expiration date.

Your possible option would be to pay the $100 fee for voucher reissue if you're unable to use them before expiration.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:47 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I would wait and hope for a December 2020 revival of the 2022 funds expiration fairy before paying the $100.
ursine1 and synergistic like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
If today I book a new flight with 9/7/22 expiring funds plus some cash and then cancel, what happens? Is it two separate ticketless funds or just a new one with the 9/27/2021 expiry?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by kpott
If today I book a new flight with 9/7/22 expiring funds plus some cash and then cancel, what happens? Is it two separate ticketless funds or just a new one with the 9/27/2021 expiry?
The way it is supposed to work is that you'll have one travel fund with an expiration date of one year from today.

That said, there have been a few reports of people cancelling and receiving funds with an expiration date one year from their original purchase date, pre-extension.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
The way it is supposed to work is that you'll have one travel fund with an expiration date of one year from today.

That said, there have been a few reports of people cancelling and receiving funds with an expiration date one year from their original purchase date, pre-extension.
Thank you. Obviously that’s a bad idea then...

thank you for the insight.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:07 pm

I have the Chase Southwest Priority Card and it has a $75 travel credit that's set to expire. Are flights purchased with a statement credit eligible to have those funds converted to points?
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by divincenzo
I have the Chase Southwest Priority Card and it has a $75 travel credit that's set to expire. Are flights purchased with a statement credit eligible to have those funds converted to points?
No. In order to convert travel funds to points, the funds must have the covid-extended September 7, 2022 expiration date, and that's no longer possible to do (short of purchasing a flight on September 7, 2021).

Also, fyi, Chase issues the statement credit, so it has no effect on the flight and/or resultant travel funds.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by mster

Ugh, I totally missed this too, I didn't realize my travel funds would get the new expiration date.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:22 am

So to make sure I am not losing my mind and that the CP on my account is actually usable.
My companion pass expired 12/31/2019, but as of right now it says its valid until 6/30/2021

Did I somehow catch the extension even though I had not earned a companion pass for 2020? I see a few posts about A-List status ending 12/31/2019 was extended to 4/30/2020 then thru to 2021, did this happen with CP too?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I suspect most of you know this, but I haven't been paying as much attention to this board lately as I am flying a lot less. I used some Sept 7, 2022 funds to purchase a ticket over the week end and today refared at a lower price. I discovered that those funds expire 1 year from the purchase date, not Sept 7, 2022 as I expected. I won't have any trouble using these funds, but I wanted to make sure everyone knew how this worked.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I suspect most of you know this, but I haven't been paying as much attention to this board lately as I am flying a lot less. I used some Sept 7, 2022 funds to purchase a ticket over the week end and today refared at a lower price. I discovered that those funds expire 1 year from the purchase date, not Sept 7, 2022 as I expected. I won't have any trouble using these funds, but I wanted to make sure everyone knew how this worked.
yes this bit me as well. I combined two $99 fares with may 2020 expiration and made the expiration Sept 2022. Then I used 11.20 to pay for taxes on an awards reservation for Thanksgiving. I ended up not going and when I canceled those funds disappeared. So treat them like refundable fares when using (unless you can remember their original expiration)
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
yes this bit me as well. I combined two $99 fares with may 2020 expiration and made the expiration Sept 2022. Then I used 11.20 to pay for taxes on an awards reservation for Thanksgiving. I ended up not going and when I canceled those funds disappeared. So treat them like refundable fares when using (unless you can remember their original expiration)
Those funds should not have "disappeared." They should still be available with a new expiration date that's one year from the date you made the award reservation.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:09 pm

Those funds should not have "disappeared." They should still be available with a new expiration date that's one year from the date you made the award reservation.
yeah I thought so too. I think I got the dates wrong in my post above. I remember the funds I converted weren't eligible per their terms and conditions at the time but nonetheless were moved to Sept 22. I didn't bother reaching out to swa over 11 bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.