Wiki Posts
Search

Flight for sale, will it fly?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Flight for sale, will it fly?

Hey everyone

i hope you all are doing well during this. My roommate is considering going home to Washington state next week from FLL. There is a nonstop on Alaska for over $400 but southwest has a one stop option for $96. I see a lot of “unavailable” flights which I presume at least one leg is canceled, so is it safe to assume if the flight is available to book it will run (not including weather or mechanical factors as usual, of course)

thanks
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Silver
Maybe...unless it gets cancelled
trouble747 and NextTrip like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geo979
Maybe...unless it gets cancelled
thanks

only reason i ask is because during this you obviously don’t want to get stuck at your layover city.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Southwest is still flying LOTS of flights.

You can go online and check the flight status of current flights and see they are flying at least half of their flights. As to be being stuck... check flights from connection city(s) separately so you know what the options are.

EDIT - I just checked on Sunday and Monday. Many options are available. I would suggest flying EARLIER than later if worried about connection. If it gets cancelled, they can always get on the next flight.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Apr 12, 2020 at 8:07 am
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Southwest is still flying LOTS of flights.

You can go online and check the flight status of current flights and see they are flying at least half of their flights. As to be being stuck... check flights from connection city(s) separately so you know what the options are.

EDIT - I just checked on Sunday and Monday. Many options are available. I would suggest flying EARLIER than later if worried about connection. If it gets cancelled, they can always get on the next flight.
for 4/20 the “earliest” option is 2:35pm
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
You can go online and check the flight status of current flights and see they are flying at least half of their flights.
Indeed, you can. 46% flown/flying today, 43% yesterday.

No airline has any clear idea exactly what flights they will be operating six weeks from now. It's a crapshoot.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you book WN, one or both of its flights may be cancelled. If you book AS, that flight may be cancelled. As noted above, on 4/20, there were 9 possible combinations on WN. 5 already not operating and the first FLL departure at 2:35 PM. Unlikely that the onwards flights are cancelled on the day of travel other than for the non-Covid reasons, e.g. weather & mechanical. Thus, if the second flight is cancelled and there is no good onwards option, I would simply not board the xFLL segment and rebook for the next day.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:42 pm

I am pretty sure that stay at home orders are in place in both of these states. Is there an emergency situation? Otherwise, stay in Florida.
trouble747 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pt flyer
I am pretty sure that stay at home orders are in place in both of these states. Is there an emergency situation? Otherwise, stay in Florida.
to be honest, that is something that is between my roommate and his family. It is neither mine nor your business and it is something I am sure he will look at all of the health concerns before doing, whether on southwest or another airline.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
None of your business, and OP didn't ask for your opinion on the reason for the trip.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:08 am

Actually, travel during stay at home orders is everyone’s business because it impacts society as a whole. There could be a reason while this travel is essential. If it isn’t, we owe it to each other to stay home.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Actually, travel during stay at home orders is everyone’s business because it impacts society as a whole. There could be a reason while this travel is essential. If it isn’t, we owe it to each other to stay home.
and everyone’s essential reasons are different. As I have said he is looking into all factors. I can assure you he is not traveling for leisure and I will leave it there. End of discussion
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
And again, the reason for traveling is not an issue in this forum and is actually none of your business, unless you plan on going to the airport and quizzing every person who tries to enter the airport.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99

And again, the reason for traveling is not an issue in this forum and is actually none of your business, unless you plan on going to the airport and quizzing every person who tries to enter the airport.
I could fly out of SFO tomorrow if the Air France flight is scheduled and I won't get stopped by the Police driving to SFO. The airlines have not asked for letters stating the reason for travel. As long as CDG is open I can fly. Now its a risk yes and Paris may not be open so I can wait.

I am seriously thinking to do Mileage Runs when the risk lowers and I have a week trip to Vegas on the books for October flying on SW.
​​​​​​
Old May 3, 2020, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jco613
and everyone’s essential reasons are different. As I have said he is looking into all factors. I can assure you he is not traveling for leisure and I will leave it there. End of discussion
How about lost income if the refund policy is tight or you own a Timeshare and wont refund your annual dues and the season runs out. Loosing money is an Essential Reason to travel for some for others their relatives needs help.

Essential Travel has never been government controlled but a personal decision .As Far as I Know I have mot seen an ID and Doc check or invitation letter to be able to book a trip and enter the airport just a mask.

I have a feeling well see mask salespeople selling masks at entrances to airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.