Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
5/13 two days ago, LAS-SEA moved 15 minutes.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Early June now. I'm getting minor changes to almost every trip.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Yes every trio I had in Apr and May was changed. Some just flight number but most pretty big changes.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Yes every trio I had in Apr and May was changed. Some just flight number but most pretty big changes.
Unfortunately there is literally no better alternative for any of my routes. For example, PIT-SEA connections are all either 6:30am departure (3:30am west coast) or 12:30am arrival (3:30am east coast). For once, I am rather unhappy with the schedule changes. Nearly as bad as it was in June 2020.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:24 am
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
original flights (May 31st)
IAD-DEN 1:45pm-3:30pm
DEN-BUR 5:20pm-6:45pm

now
IAD-DEN 6:55am-8:55am
DEN-BUR 2:30pm-3:55pm

Good grief! Way too early for me! Looooong layover! It's Time to pick different flights (maybe different airports)...
Are they paring down flights?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by dc2
original flights (May 31st)
IAD-DEN 1:45pm-3:30pm
DEN-BUR 5:20pm-6:45pm

now
IAD-DEN 6:55am-8:55am
DEN-BUR 2:30pm-3:55pm

Good grief! Way too early for me! Looooong layover! It's Time to pick different flights (maybe different airports)...
Are they paring down flights?
Yes they are. Don’t know exactly where you live, but the is a BWI-BUR flight that is pretty similar to your original flights.
dc2 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by pgh234
Unfortunately there is literally no better alternative for any of my routes. For example, PIT-SEA connections are all either 6:30am departure (3:30am west coast) or 12:30am arrival (3:30am east coast). For once, I am rather unhappy with the schedule changes. Nearly as bad as it was in June 2020.
As a fellow flier out of PIT the better choices are on other airlines, unfortunately.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:02 am

Due to the recent rounds of cut backs, it is becoming almost impossible to find availability for new bookings, in the upcoming months. With all of the customers who had to be reaccommodated and moved to remaining flights, I wonder how much new business Southwest is losing. If you can find availability, very often there only will be a couple of seats left, either in AT or BS.

What projections were used for these drastic cuts? Are staffing issues at the crux of the flight reductions?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by mke9499
What projections were used for these drastic cuts? Are staffing issues at the crux of the flight reductions?
Just imagine the pricing power WN will have on those last seats. If their route structure and frequency is down and the demand is there, they will look to return some capacity later, if they do happen to have airplanes available. As a reminder, the 737-7 MAX isn't yet certified. So less airplanes available for them. In the end, all those last seats will be sold either on Business Select or Anytime instead of Want to Get Away
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by carlitos
Just imagine the pricing power WN will have on those last seats. If their route structure and frequency is down and the demand is there, they will look to return some capacity later, if they do happen to have airplanes available. As a reminder, the 737-7 MAX isn't yet certified. So less airplanes available for them. In the end, all those last seats will be sold either on Business Select or Anytime instead of Want to Get Away
The high fares will make travelers like me search for alternative service. I have found first class non-stop seats on competing airlines to be only 20% more, in some cases, than Southwest fares for flights with a connection. Do your research. Business and FC fares are often reasonable now since business travel is still in the doldrums.
nsx likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:13 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dlaue
The high fares will make travelers like me search for alternative service. I have found first class non-stop seats on competing airlines to be only 20% more, in some cases, than Southwest fares for flights with a connection. Do your research. Business and FC fares are often reasonable now since business travel is still in the doldrums.
I have also seen premium economy award travel cheaper than economy award travel.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:08 pm
jmw

My business travel has been cut by 75%. I eventually cancelled all of my leisure trips other than visiting relatives. I had to cancel my Hawaii trip.

If another airline is willing to lose money hand over fist with a better schedule and better seats, I'll buy up which I've done with AA. The demand is not there for both business and leisure.

I'm also seeing disturbing signs of a general economic slowdown in the works over the past few weeks with regards to less credit available, lower pricing, and the willingness for vendors to pursue deals they would have walked away from two months ago.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:15 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jmw
The demand is not there for both business and leisure.
Fares are way up from January 2022. Flights are routinely full with very few business travelers. Price elasticity is low. Pent-up demand moronically dubbed "revenge travel" is real.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by dlaue
Hey, good for you, in the end, Southwest only has a few seats left to sell for insane amounts of money. So either way, if it is you or another SWABIZ or Corporate Contract passenger, they will end up going out full. So in the end, the amazing technique of Pricing & Revenue Management invented in the 80s by American Airlines will work in favor of the carrier and not the passenger. In the end, they are managing a business, not a charity.

Now that the UK and several other countries ended all mask and Covid Tests, it is a matter of time for the USA to end mask mandates too. If it is leisure Pent Up demand or Business coming back slowly, it looks like they are balancing capacity quite well.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by nsx
Fares are way up from January 2022. Flights are routinely full with very few business travelers. Price elasticity is low. Pent-up demand moronically dubbed "revenge travel" is real.
Agree.

For my flight to Vegas in early March from BNA, most tickets are now over $700 ONE WAY. Holy crap. And those are Wed/Thur flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.