Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
This week I saw that my flights in May and June could be changed to within two months without charge as long as departure and arrival cities remained the same. Very nice of Southwest; some of the flights I changed to were much more expensive than the original ones.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Looks like WN finally hard-countered this.

6/28 - 7/11 is changeable. But there is a significant upcharge on those dates. I'm seeing $49 SFO-LAX outside those dates, and $235 inside.

Edit: looks like they largely killed WGA inventory for these dates.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by aquanine
Looks like WN finally hard-countered this.

6/28 - 7/11 is changeable. But there is a significant upcharge on those dates. I'm seeing $49 SFO-LAX outside those dates, and $235 inside.

Edit: looks like they largely killed WGA inventory for these dates.
I suspect they are rolling out the next round of schedule changes. Check back in a day or two.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:59 pm

So book before 6/28 then as that is still changeable
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:27 pm

Just got notifications of connecttions for Southwest for Fourth of July weekend for MCI-MSP that was previously a nonstop, will probably be flying Delta instead as a result. But now the free changes are back. I assume these changes now are final even with a lot of states opening up in the next month or so.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:59 pm

This waiver still showed up in my June reservations as of last week, but it is suddenly gone now.

I called and was told the waiver is now expired, but I can't find any official website stating the expiration date.

Anyone has any links?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx;[url=tel:32443786
32443786[/url]]This waiver still showed up in my June reservations as of last week, but it is suddenly gone now.

I called and was told the waiver is now expired, but I can't find any official website stating the expiration date.

Anyone has any links?
These offers typically pop up on a Friday and are valid over that weekend. Many who decided to wait till Monday found they were out of luck, because they procrastinated. The change window has recently only been 30 days, either way. If you see the banner for no additional fare changes and are interested, it’s suggested to take advantage of it, at that time. The applicable months have rotated in the past; sometimes months are repeated, so just keep checking.

As WN only is booking to about 2/3 capacity to keep middle seats open, and as more seats are being sold, some flights over the next month or two are showing as “unavailable;” so, again, it’s advised not to delay rebooking, when the opportunity arises.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Is there any limit to the number of times you can cancel, get travel funds, rebook, and cancel again (assuming before expiration date)?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:22 am

Just a heads up, its usually Thursday when the availability pops up
mke9499 and ayande176 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass holder and A List Preferred. Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Is there any limit to the number of times you can cancel, get travel funds, rebook, and cancel again (assuming before expiration date)?
I don't think so, I have done it twice with the same travel funds. Not sure if anyone has done it more than that
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:54 pm

I'm guessing the August 10 date will be extended soon, when the MAX date is backed up free changes usually follow.

I'm looking to change some Labor day Weekend ( Sept 5) flights.

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/737-MAX-8.html

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 10, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
A couple of questions:

(1) Can I reverse the direction on a one-way, or is the waiver only good for the same direction of travel?
(2) If there are 2 passengers on an itinerary, I presume I can use the waiver to update the reservation, and then cancel one of the passengers?

Originally Posted by coltonatx
This waiver still showed up in my June reservations as of last week, but it is suddenly gone now.

Ditto! Did not realize this was not an ongoing promo but rather like the so-called $49 "sales" which expire but then repeat again.

Originally Posted by Vaselaney24
Just a heads up, its usually Thursday when the availability pops up
^ Thanks! I guess I can wait another day as my flight is scheduled for Saturday.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jun 10, 2020 at 7:06 pm
Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
A couple of questions:

(1) Can I reverse the direction on a one-way, or is the waiver only good for the same direction of travel?
(2) If there are 2 passengers on an itinerary, I presume I can use the waiver to update the reservation, and then cancel one of the passengers?

Ditto! Did not realize this was not an ongoing promo but rather like the so-called $49 "sales" which expire but then repeat again.

^ Thanks! I guess I can wait another day as my flight is scheduled for Saturday.
These free changes ( without any additional points) have been going on for years, ( since the max was taken OOS) and there was a big thread but it seems to have been erased, The person who created the tread kept it here for a long time then the bloggers got it and it was all over and many speculated the free changes would end but thus far that has not been the case.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
If my wife has travel funds in her account can she use them to book new tickets for both her and me, or just her? The amount is just over the cost of the two tickets I'm looking at.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
If my wife has travel funds in her account can she use them to book new tickets for both her and me, or just her? The amount is just over the cost of the two tickets I'm looking at.
Travel funds are locked to the original passenger(s) only.

Southwest has announced that they will let customers convert travel funds (from the covid-19 covered period) into Rapid Rewards points, which can then be used to book travel for anyone. This functionality hasn't been made active yet, but is hopefully coming soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.