Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Southwest actually sanitize their planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Southwest actually sanitize their planes?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Maybe someone could create a drone designed for flying inside a plane, that staff could launch, and it would blast the whole cabin with strong UV light in just a few minutes? That might be much less time consuming that manual sanitizing.
Some scientific labs do this with UV lamps in the ceilings. They cause eye damage so nobody could be in the plane.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Southwest send an email this morning which partly talks about their cleaning procedures and how they are changing them:

Aircraft Cleaning: We spend between 6-7 hours cleaning each aircraft every night, and, as of March 4, 2020, we have enhanced our overnight cleaning procedures. Typically, we use an EPA approved, hospital-grade disinfectant in the lavatories and an interior cleaner in the cabin. Now, we are expanding the use of the hospital-grade disinfectant throughout the aircraft, and it will be used in the cabin, on elements in the flight deck, and in the lavatory. This goes beyond the standard CDC guidelines.

Also, we equip each of our aircraft with a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter, which filters out recirculated air onboard each plane to remove airborne particles. HEPA filters are also used in hospitals to provide patients with clean air.

To learn more about our enhanced aircraft cleaning procedures, visit our blog for a detailed overview, along with a video and photos of the process.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by m907
Some scientific labs do this with UV lamps in the ceilings. They cause eye damage so nobody could be in the plane.
I'm not sure what level of UV is required, or what level causes eye damage. There is some UV in normal daylight so people can tolerate some UV exposure. Perhaps they could simply replace the lamps in the cabin lighting with lamps that have a modest UV component and continually disinfect surfaces. Alternatively they could sweep the cabin interior with UV light wands between flights.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
Southwest send an email this morning which partly talks about their cleaning procedures and how they are changing them:
I believe HEPA filters are installed on all commercial jets.

Surprised to learn arm rests had "a generally higher variety and number of bacteria than the tray tables."
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by sdsearch

And that's the problem with Southwest's fast-turn strategy, it doesn't allow for when extra steps are needed between plane uses.

Are we going to hear in the news that Southwest is going to cut back N% of flights because they have to add 10 minutes extra between each flight for sanitizing?

Agreed. What was their strength, is now their weakness. Deceptive email from them. Overnight...
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: whatever it takes
Who do you think you are fooling Southwest?

What has been your strength is now your weakness. Will you adapt? Lower your frequencies, more TLC in between...

If COVID19 patient coughs all over my seat and cabin from flight before...your cleaning procedure means almost ZERO to me.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:13 pm

What other steps would you recommend? Medical teams in the gate area monitoring coughs?

Best option is to hand out 175 disinfecting wipes.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
What other steps would you recommend? Medical teams in the gate area monitoring coughs?

As someone that has brought my own wipes for years.....i am no longer stared at when cleaning a nasty tray table on the last flight of the day after an 8 segment day.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by EqualOpp

What has been your strength is now your weakness. Will you adapt? Lower your frequencies, more TLC in between...

If COVID19 patient coughs all over my seat and cabin from flight before...your cleaning procedure means almost ZERO to me.
Since you're claiming that they are trying to "fool" people, please cite specific evidence that contradicts the email. Not just your opinion. SMH.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:32 pm

Brilliant.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
As someone that has brought my own wipes for years.....i am no longer stared at when cleaning a nasty tray table on the last flight of the day after an 8 segment day.
After watching (well, smelling, then turning around and seeing) someone change a diaper on a tray table, I wipe it down every time!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm not sure what level of UV is required, or what level causes eye damage. There is some UV in normal daylight so people can tolerate some UV exposure. Perhaps they could simply replace the lamps in the cabin lighting with lamps that have a modest UV component and continually disinfect surfaces. Alternatively they could sweep the cabin interior with UV light wands between flights.
It's UV-C light. I'm not a scientist but it's a specific type of UV light different from natural sunlight. Handheld UV lamps exist and Best Western says their hotels use them, but they have to be held over the surface for a length of time to be effective.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender

They could clean the cabin between flights like most major airlines do. Although, I'm certainly not opposed to ALSO having disinfecting wipes handed out.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by msglsmo
They could clean the cabin between flights like most major airlines do. Although, I'm certainly not opposed to ALSO having disinfecting wipes handed out.
Most airlines do not fully clean and disinfect planes in between flights. If you think they do, I have a nice bridge to sell you.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by aaronp84
Most airlines do not fully clean and disinfect planes in between flights. If you think they do, I have a nice bridge to sell you.
Perhaps not prior to this outbreak, but there are statements by the airlines saying that this is exactly what they are doing, irrespective of the bridge your have to sell.

For example, this from United: "thorough wipe-down of all hard surfaces touched by customers and employees, including lavatories, galleys, tray tables, window shades and armrests."
And this from Delta: "
Delta uses a high-grade, EPA-registered disinfectant on all flights, which is rated to combat many communicable diseases."

I can't fathom that a "nightly" cleaning which is what Southwest (and American) are doing is being defended by anyone as a good idea during this virus outbreak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.