Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

BWI - chances of a flight delay early Sat the 18th?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:16 am
Original Poster

We are scheduled to depart BWI this Saturday morning and I'm concerned that a weather delay could cause problems with our connecting flight. This could end up causing us to reach our final destination a day later. It's supposed to snow (1-2 inches) late Friday into Saturday but its supposed to stop a few hours before the flight is scheduled to depart. The winds are supposed to be around 15 mph gusting to 37 from the south at time of departure. Should we be trying to change our first flight to leave Friday night to beat the weather or are these conditions not a problem?

Thank you for any advice as we have never been in a situation like this before.

JP
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Where do see these ominous forecasts? And its very hard to predict accurate details like winds and gusts more than 36 hours in advance reliably.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...54&lon=-76.668

Anything can happen but even with the details you provided, its hardly a show stopper. Early in the day plus a Saturday definitely works in your favor.

Keep checking the weather often but aviation forecasts are only issued 36 hours in advance at most, otherwise they are general area forecasted trends.

Good luck.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by jrpearsonsr
We are scheduled to depart BWI this Saturday morning and I'm concerned that a weather delay could cause problems with our connecting flight. This could end up causing us to reach our final destination a day later. It's supposed to snow (1-2 inches) late Friday into Saturday but its supposed to stop a few hours before the flight is scheduled to depart. The winds are supposed to be around 15 mph gusting to 37 from the south at time of departure. Should we be trying to change our first flight to leave Friday night to beat the weather or are these conditions not a problem?

Thank you for any advice as we have never been in a situation like this before.

JP
Weather happens often, and sometimes with little to no warning. Making plans for 5-6 days away is often a wasted endeavor.

Couple inches of snow - no major delays. No idea if Friday would be better or worse than Saturday.

Where and when are you heading to eventually?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Where do see these ominous forecasts? .
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Where and when are you heading to eventually?
We saw the weather on a couple different newscasts and the Dark Sky app which has been fairly accurate for us. I know it could change and that the forecasts aren't as accurate the further out you check, I just wanted to get an idea if that would be a problem if it ended up being accurate and it sounds like we wouldn't have a problem. We are heading to the Cayman Islands with a one hour stop in Florida to switch planes. We read some forum posts about late arrivals due to delayed flights being common there so we thought it would be a good idea to check on here with people that fly more often than we do.

Thanks for the input.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Consult the Magic 8-Ball.

The only way to guarantee arrival on a certain date and time is to arrive the day prior or the day prior the day prior or...

If arriving one day late to the destination is catastrophic, the planning is deficient. No clue how a flight change would be advantageous due to the number of variables including costs of change flights, costs to arrive early, costs to depart early...
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by jrpearsonsr
We read some forum posts about late arrivals due to delayed flights being common there so we thought it would be a good idea to check on here with people that fly more often than we do.
You are correct to be somewhat concerned and some good advice above to evaluate the impact and recovery if your flight incoming is indeed delayed. I've flown WN nearly exclusively for the last 20 years with many, many late connections and conclude there is no consistency on how they are handled, most resulted in a wasted good boarding pass and an uncomfortable middle seat but I've been left behind too..

I'd check if there are later FLL-Cayman flights that day (and space available) as a next step.

Again, best of luck
steved5480 and jrpearsonsr like this.

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 13, 2020 at 12:32 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:03 pm

Get there the day before. Avoid worrying.
lougord99 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
ythe forecast now is about an inch before it mixes and turns to rain by mid day.

other factors in play here

where is your plane coming from
and where are you flyinf to
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Now that weather is shaping up... going to be some delays and cancels. But - I expect most flights from BWI will still operate.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:14 am
Original Poster

The forecast is looking good. We should be gone before any precip starts.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Looking at the forecast now (Friday at 11:00), I don't think you'll see any delays heading to FLL. The weather system is coming in from the west, and the forecast for the northern states is worse, so you should be in the clear if you're heading southeast. If your flight is originating somewhere north or west, it may be delayed in arriving at BWI.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In the event that there is a delay causing a misconnect at FLL, your later options are on B6. However, WN does not interline with any other carrier and thus, the cost of those tickets needs to be in scope for your travel insurance.

For the benefit of the broader group as this is a public site, I would never book a one hour connection to a once-daily service, especially on a carrier which chooses not to interline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.