Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Classic Southwest: TUL-DEN-RNO-LAS-STL-BNA-BWI-CMH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Tomorrow’s WN 5563 is s 7-legged hop, going TUL-DEN-RNO-LAS-STL-BNA-BWI-CMH.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...235Z/KTUL/KDEN

Haven’t seen one quote this crazy in a long time....
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Did you book it? I can not find that on WN site.

Or were you just pointing out the day this particular plane has?

I wonder what is the most legs a single WN jet flies on one day.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I think we have had threads on the longest single flight number route, but not the longest route, in a day.

A plane keeps the same flight number as long as in any given aaa-bbb-ccc along the route, aaa-ccc is bookable.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I am on one of the legs in the middle, purely by coincidence. Was just quite surprised by the flight schedule.

Seems if they were to break these 7 hops into 2-3 smaller trips it buys them more flexibility in case of IRROPS.

Mostly a novelty for me though. It will be interesting to see how close to schedule they are by hop #7 ...
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
I am on one of the legs in the middle, purely by coincidence. Was just quite surprised by the flight schedule.

Seems if they were to break these 7 hops into 2-3 smaller trips it buys them more flexibility in case of IRROPS.

Mostly a novelty for me though. It will be interesting to see how close to schedule they are by hop #7 ...
I tend to look at where a plane is coming from most of the time using FLIGHTAWARE. Amazing how they bounce around the country all day.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:17 pm

Nothing special with this route, there are countless planes doing lots of legs each day on one flight number.

Heck, just plug in WN1 today and it does DAL-HOU-JAX-BWI-CLE-BNA-DEN.

Or were you just pointing out the day this particular plane has?

I wonder what is the most legs a single WN jet flies on one day.
I've seen 10 before, with the plane doing mostly intra California flying all day.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

How does changing the flight number help with IRROPS? Or do you mean have three planes fly these routes instead of just one? Neither makes sense.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
How does changing the flight number help with IRROPS? Or do you mean have three planes fly these routes instead of just one? Neither makes sense.
Easier to swap frames in the middle if you don’t need to worry about “throughs”.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
You are exactly right. With or without a different Flight number does not matter. I am thinking one flight number helps them keep track of 4.000 flights a day with 700 planes.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:25 pm

Easier to swap frames in the middle if you don’t need to worry about “throughs”.
You can swap a plane no matter what the flight number is. Doesn't matter. Crew (if continuing) and thru pax just move to the new airplane. Happens every single day...
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
You can swap a plane no matter what the flight number is. Doesn't matter. Crew (if continuing) and thru pax just move to the new airplane. Happens every single day...
Yup. Happened to me as a thru on an Oct flight through BNA. My only issue with it was that they allowed the pre-boarders on the new plane before the thrus. I don't think that is right as the thrus would already be on the plane without the swap, so thru pax just got "down-graded". Didn't affect me as I was headed to exit row where pre-boards can't go, but if I wanted a bulkhead or something, my "thru" advantage was just given away.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Tomorrow’s WN 5563 is s 7-legged hop, going TUL-DEN-RNO-LAS-STL-BNA-BWI-CMH.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...235Z/KTUL/KDEN

Haven’t seen one quote this crazy in a long time....
Would Southwest's website actually show that as an option for someone flying TUL-CMH? Checking various random dates in December I see a lot of one- and two-stop flights but nothing like a 7-leg flight.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shadow520
Yup. Happened to me as a thru on an Oct flight through BNA. My only issue with it was that they allowed the pre-boarders on the new plane before the thrus. I don't think that is right as the thrus would already be on the plane without the swap, so thru pax just got "down-graded". Didn't affect me as I was headed to exit row where pre-boards can't go, but if I wanted a bulkhead or something, my "thru" advantage was just given away.

And, you just pointed out one of the reasons they do pre-boarders first in these situations. This allows the crew to KNOW who is pre-board and keep them from sitting in exit rows. They always tell the first "regular" passenger to notify the flight crew that preboarding has ended.

Also, allows them to manage the wheelchair stuff a bit easier.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Would Southwest's website actually show that as an option for someone flying TUL-CMH? Checking various random dates in December I see a lot of one- and two-stop flights but nothing like a 7-leg flight.
They haven't allowed three stops to be ticketed for a while now, probably close to a decade.

I know that soon after Southwest came to Chicago, they had a sale where all 4-stops were $49. I remember that another graduate student did MDW-OAK via something like STL, HOU, ELP, and maybe LAS.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:23 pm

And, you just pointed out one of the reasons they do pre-boarders first in these situations. This allows the crew to KNOW who is pre-board and keep them from sitting in exit rows. They always tell the first "regular" passenger to notify the flight crew that preboarding has ended.

Also, allows them to manage the wheelchair stuff a bit easier.
On top of those valid points, it may be law...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.