Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Speculation re: WN buying another airline; also GK interview

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation re: WN buying another airline; also GK interview

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But WN apparently wants an Airbus-flying airline, which take SY (Sun Country) out of the running, since SY is just as 737-exclusive as WN is currently. So which of the Airbus-heavy airlines is "small player" enough? Allegiant (G4)?
Except for a bit of divestiture in Denver as mentioned by others, I expect buying F9 would be no issue for Southwest.

https://www.flyfrontier.com/about-us...-configuration

People may or may not remember that it was the unions that made the previous attempt not move forward.

Southwest Airlines' Bid to Acquire Frontier Not Selected at Auction ? Southwest Airlines

I don't think labor relations have improve that much except there is likely some interest from the FA union to have non-Boeing planes.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:12 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, Frontier is built around the leisure traveler, while WN is lately chasing the business market. It's a very young fleet with industry-leading fuel efficiency. But I don't see regulators indulging that impulse. The argument that mergers offer a public benefit fails in an era of gushing profits.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I think the challenge of buying Frontier is keeping service to smaller stations. Frontier has a lot of cities like Harrisburg and Cedar Rapids, and nobody is going to believe that those will be served. Spirit has fewer small US cities, and a fair amount of service into northern South America.
I agree It would likely close a dozen or more stations again, but a number of those former AirTran stations like MDT that have Frontier but not Southwest also have Allegiant and Allegiant ihas much more service than Frontier in many of them. (Frontier's service in Harrisburg is quite light) It would be interesting how Southwest would handle TTN and if it would close EWR again.

In general, I could see WN reutilize aircraft elswhere. Southwest could use the aircraft to boost medium market stations like CLE, and large stations like BNA into bigger hubs. CLE could get boosted to the service levels that CMH and PIT have currently. Back when United closed the hub in CLE, Southwest was pre-occupied building up DAL. Then came a battle in California, Hawaii and MAX issues.

Buying up Spirit would seem more anti-competitive since Spirit is larger and I think it has more overlapped routes.
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by beyondhere; Nov 14, 2019 at 3:54 pm
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by beyondhere

I really prefer more competition and wouldn't want JetBlue, Alaska or Spirit which are large enough to merge into Southwest. The only one I'm willing to accept is Frontier, since Spirit could organically infill back what was lost from Frontier.
I see Alaska and Jet Blue merging

It makes far better sense for a few reasons

1. JetBlue is primarily east coast with flights out west. AS is primarily west coast
2. they share common international partners

If they merge there would be 5 major US carriers which is good competition.
worldwidedreamer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.