Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii from east coast.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Most likely no, the connection in ca Is no longer available most likely past a specific date where the calendar cuts off. For example I am cmh based but cant fly past this week cause swa eliminated our nonstop route to oakland.
It looks like they did change the flight times and Now the first flight has a longer layover at the 1st stop and it won't be in time for the connecting flight to OGG. You can still book multicity, but that adds 5 hours of sitting time in the airport. This is really putting a damper on my plans. I don't know what is going on over there at SW but this whole Hawaii crap is not working out.
6/2 PHL-OGG
PHl-bna-oak #1591
oak-ogg #658
6/9
phl-bna-oak #1139/500
oak-ogg #1182
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by hanly2
It looks like they did change the flight times and Now the first flight has a longer layover at the 1st stop and it won't be in time for the connecting flight to OGG. You can still book multicity, but that adds 5 hours of sitting time in the airport. This is really putting a damper on my plans. I don't know what is going on over there at SW but this whole Hawaii crap is not working out.
6/2 PHL-OGG
PHl-bna-oak #1591
oak-ogg #658
6/9
phl-bna-oak #1139/500
oak-ogg #1182
Tbh if you are not ca based you are best probably booking on Alaska, American, Hawaiian or united. I plan to fly american to and from and swa inter island.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:01 pm

We ended up deciding to do a night in Oakland on the way out and a night in San Jose on the way back. Total cost for transport for two is less than $600 for flights and fees, and about $150 in Choice points. Thanks to the Max WN craziness and CP, we got exactly the flights we wanted for what I consider to be a pretty good price.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: WN
Funny you should say that. I was just considering the Andaz in Liberia. As I dont think the hyatt properties in Hawaii are a good value with points. Except Waikiki and Costa Rica looks nicer then there.

belize as well
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I. I don't know what is going on over there at SW but this whole Hawaii crap is not working out.
Yes it is. It is not meant to work for you though.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Until they do overnight red-eye flights, the entire West coast to East coast thing (including HI) is very difficult IME living where I do. But I've pieced it together in the past.
formeraa likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:47 am

SAT 6/8/2019 HNL-OAK 1pm-9pm

Dinner at the San Fran Wharf, slept in rental car at OAK

SUN 6/9/2019 OAK-ATL 7am-3pm

Easy
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Tbh if you are not ca based you are best probably booking on Alaska, American, Hawaiian or united. I plan to fly american to and from and swa inter island.
I spent too much time getting 2 companion passes for this trip. SW is my only points option.

Originally Posted by dmbolp

Easy
I was going to spend a night on the way back, problem is they changed the flights out so now need to spend another night.

Originally Posted by jerryfreak
belize as well
nice but no hyatt at the beach
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: spg (Plt) Hilton (gold) Marriott (silver) WN (CP & A-listerP) Delta Silver AA gold
In Summer of 2019 BWI-OGG

In July of 2019 I had a one day flight from BWI to OGG with a little over an hour layover on OAK. They only did that in summer but this year you cannot do it. Couldn't do the reverse of OGG-BWI.

So if SWA wants to accommodate East coaster they can.

I fly to Hawaii twice a year and now do a one night layover each way.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goghd
In July of 2019 I had a one day flight from BWI to OGG with a little over an hour layover on OAK. They only did that in summer but this year you cannot do it. Couldn't do the reverse of OGG-BWI.

So if SWA wants to accommodate East coaster they can.

I fly to Hawaii twice a year and now do a one night layover each way.
Yep that is the flight I was going to take. What happened to it?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmbolp

Easy
Um, no. You are doing life wrong.

Neither a vacation nor a business trip should involve planning to sleep overnight in a car.
writerguyfl and synergistic like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So much tail wagging the dog in this thread. If you want to go to Hawaii, then just go and enjoy it. It is a beautiful place. Don't let a special holiday be dictated by then whims and policies of a budget airline or what hotels allow you to stay on points.
Bear96, joshua362 and mrcool1122 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
So much tail wagging the dog in this thread. If you want to go to Hawaii, then just go and enjoy it. It is a beautiful place. Don't let a special holiday be dictated by then whims and policies of a budget airline or what hotels allow you to stay on points.
Lol, how exactly did you find Flyertalk?

For our part, playing these games lets us spend 60+ nights a year vacationing - with flights required/included for a great number of those trips. Without loyalty programs, promotions, and a good bit of planning, we'd either be traveling a great deal less or spending a great deal more.
ahself likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Complaining on FT that an airline has removed a flight, or doesn't fly a certain route at a certain time of day, isn't going to change that.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
We're flying Southwest to LIH from MDW, it didn't occur to me until this thread that I could have used multi-city search. I currently have two tix booked, one to SJC, the next direct to LIH. We've got about 4 hours in SJC (ugh), which seemed enough time to feel comfortable. But now with coronavirus, I'm afraid airlines will be reducing flights even if we decide the risks are small enough that we still want to go.
- If I call, does anyone think WN would be willing to combine into a single res?
- I could rebook for 4-5K more, I hate to waste the miles. How much additional protection would that really get us?
- Does anyone think WN would check our bags through to LIH if we have two record locators?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.