Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Southwest Pilots sue Boeing.

https://apnews.com/b07e9d1121b34a0f884d6626c07fa876
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
...LOL
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:06 am

Southwest stated that they would share monies received from Boeing due to the grounding with their employees, but the pilots apparently want more and/or direct payment. I'm actually very surprised that Boeing allowed this to get out of negotiations.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm betting this will be dismissed for lack of standing to sue. WN pilots and Boeing have no contractual relationship/responsibility to each other. The relationship/responsibility is with WN itself. If there was any case to be made at all, it would be against WN. WN could then go against Boeing in their own right to recoup any payout.
steved5480 and jmw like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm betting this will be dismissed for lack of standing to sue. WN pilots and Boeing have no contractual relationship/responsibility to each other. The relationship/responsibility is with WN itself. If there was any case to be made at all, it would be against WN. WN could then go against Boeing in their own right to recoup any payout.
I doubt it. Boeing's negligence caused Southwest's pilots to lose money. Southwest may even be paying pilots under the Union Contract not to fly. Some pilots may have made more money if the planes weren't grounded.

Look up thirty party suits.
https://www.justia.com/injury/neglig...rty-liability/
This article relates to Workers Compensation, but the principal is the same. The Negligence of a third party caused damage (loss of income) to the pilots.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I doubt it. Boeing's negligence caused Southwest's pilots to lose money. Southwest may even be paying pilots under the Union Contract not to fly. Some pilots may have made more money if the planes weren't grounded.

Look up thirty party suits.
https://www.justia.com/injury/neglig...rty-liability/
This article relates to Workers Compensation, but the principal is the same. The Negligence of a third party caused damage (loss of income) to the pilots.
It doesn't apply in this case. If a WN pilot died while flying a Boeing plane, then Boeing could be liable as a third party. There's no direct connection to Boeing in this case as there is in the example. Simply cause a business decided to make a business decision doesnt mean you can sue any companies that caused them to make that decision.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest stated that they would share monies received from Boeing due to the grounding with their employees, but the pilots apparently want more and/or direct payment. I'm actually very surprised that Boeing allowed this to get out of negotiations.
Yea... when I read about that "sharing" with employees I put on my corporae operations hat and it did not fit well.

I think they are going to do some employee sharing thing and be rather blanket across the masses - maybe. Nothing but headaches coming out of that.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It doesn't apply in this case. If a WN pilot died while flying a Boeing plane, then Boeing could be liable as a third party. There's no direct connection to Boeing in this case as there is in the example. Simply cause a business decided to make a business decision doesnt mean you can sue any companies that caused them to make that decision.
So if Boeing deliberately misled pilots about the 737 MAX, SWA corporate, alone, has standing to sue?

If Hertz determines Ford lied about its cars' design safety, can't an laid off employee sue Ford? Or an injured renter?

A negligent or reckless third party’s actions or omissions is not unplowed ground.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Have there been actual layoffs? I think we would have heard something.

Lawyers can make an argument out of anything when smelling money and blaming others with deep pockets, no matter how faint the scent. Someone's negligence for failing to predict the action is to blame.

When the economy goes south, travel demand lessens and pilots are laid off, do you sue the Company for not retraining pilots for something they still need or the Federal Government for not preventing the recession?

Absurd on all counts.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by joshua362

Absurd on all counts.
Maybe.

The union entered into a collective bargaining agreement to include the Max. SWAPA says it would not have entered into the CBA and/or agreed to its specific terms had it known that Boeing’s representations were false. Self-certifying an airplane is - arguably - negligent.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Now the FA union is thinking of doing the same:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/sout...ng-boeing.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.