Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nice racket on the gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Booked part of a flight with a non-expiring Southwest gift card. They will only refund the gift card used to purchase a flight they canceled with an expiring travel credit. Nice way to make me have to burn the GC money in the next few months when I have no travel plans that aren't already paid for.

Have others had success with complaining to customer service that you want a refund in some non-expiring form of payment?

FWIW I think the travel credit approach is generally fine when you cancel, I just think this one stinks when they'd refund your credit card in full. They should reissue a gift card.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
It is in the gift card T & C so I don't think there is a cause to complain:

A Southwest gift card redeemed for travel is not refundable. If travel is not taken, the funds will be held funds with an expiration date.

(Their bold letters not mine)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
For a full out cancel by airline, it does suck.

Of course, if YOU cancel with most airlines, you get NOTHING back. Not even future travel funds.

I have bought many gift cards when I find them on sale or even on the gift card resale sites. I know once I redeem it, and make changes, I have one year to burn those funds.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR

Originally Posted by Paul Weber
They will only refund the gift card used to purchase a flight they canceled with an expiring travel credit.
This has been in the WN CoC for years. Nothing new.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
You could always complain to your state’s department of consumer affairs, pointing out that the cancellation was the airline’s doing and not yours and thus that they are taking unfair advantage of you (and maybe, fir good measure, that you have no problem with the expiring refund credit if the cancellation is at your initiative).
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:14 pm

If Southwest cancels, contact Customer Relations, they'll issue a credit back to the gift card.
jmw and synergistic like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
If Southwest cancels, contact Customer Relations, they'll issue a credit back to the gift card.
I did and they refused.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
For a full out cancel by airline, it does suck.

Of course, if YOU cancel with most airlines, you get NOTHING back. Not even future travel funds.

I have bought many gift cards when I find them on sale or even on the gift card resale sites. I know once I redeem it, and make changes, I have one year to burn those funds.
I didn’t change. They did. They canceled the direct flight and rebooked me on a 3 hour longer flight with a connection. If I’m going to connect I’m going to do it on a legacy carrier where I have status.

i agree it is in the terms for the GC but my point is that it is not a reasonable term when they effectively cancel the flight.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

I didn’t change. They did. They canceled the direct flight and rebooked me on a 3 hour longer flight with a connection. If I’m going to connect I’m going to do it on a legacy carrier where I have status.

i agree it is in the terms for the GC but my point is that it is not a reasonable term when they effectively cancel the flight.
I am with you. If they cancel your flight, then you should get your money back. Gift card or cash.

I assume you logged in to see if there was a BETTER flight than the one they automatically put you on - many folks find their system does not always pick the best option.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:58 am

I did and they refused.
HUCA.

(Or better yet, reach out to Customer Relations via the chat function in the app or Twitter.)
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
HUCA.

(Or better yet, reach out to Customer Relations via the chat function in the app or Twitter.)
I will give this a shot. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.