Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN 1172 - BWI-PWM - Jul 11

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
WN 1172 - BWI-PWM - Jul 11

Anyone know what's going on with this flight? I have family that's supposed to get on this plane as WN1173 (PWM-BWI) at 10:45AM ET. WN1172 just departed the gate at 10:01AM ET, 86 minutes late. From across the country, it doesn't look like weather or airport delays.

If my family gets delayed enough out of PWM that they miss their connection in BWI (WN2525 to SAN), should they be asking for compensation for a mechanical delay?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: DL FO, WN AL
Originally Posted by twitch76
Anyone know what's going on with this flight? I have family that's supposed to get on this plane as WN1173 (PWM-BWI) at 10:45AM ET. WN1172 just departed the gate at 10:01AM ET, 86 minutes late. From across the country, it doesn't look like weather or airport delays.

If my family gets delayed enough out of PWM that they miss their connection in BWI (WN2525 to SAN), should they be asking for compensation for a mechanical delay?
Not sure about this particular flight, but the Northeast is a mess right now. NYC is under a weather waiver on several airline and Boston has weather related ground delays. Haven't seen anything on Portland, but who knows. For what its worth, I'm BWI based and we're expecting major storms this afternoon. Afternoon flights could definitely see some delays today.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
That aircraft, N219WN, did not land at BWI from MCI until 0907 (scheduled 0930) and 1172 was scheduled to depart BWI for PWM at 0835 so it was not going to leave on time no matter what. Sounds like an aircraft scheduling issue, driven by what who knows......
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by spartan3186
Not sure about this particular flight, but the Northeast is a mess right now. NYC is under a weather waiver on several airline and Boston has weather related ground delays. Haven't seen anything on Portland, but who knows. For what its worth, I'm BWI based and we're expecting major storms this afternoon. Afternoon flights could definitely see some delays today.
Thanks for that. It’s not always easy to figure out what’s going on from across the country. That flight looked like the originating flight for that aircraft, so I’m a little puzzled why it took off so late.

At PWM bag check, the ticket agent proactively rerouted their BWI-SAN leg as BWI-SJC-SAN. They’ll get here four hours later. It’s a yucky routing and they lost their nice boarding position from EBCI, but life goes on.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TXWayne
That aircraft, N219WN, did not land at BWI from MCI until 0907 (scheduled 0930) and 1172 was scheduled to depart BWI for PWM at 0835 so it was not going to leave on time no matter what. Sounds like an aircraft scheduling issue, driven by what who knows......
Thanks. I bet it’s bad scheduling from Max8 issues.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by twitch76
5 later BWI-SAN flights have connections. They'd get in between 6:10-8:55 pm PDT. I doubt Southwest will compensate.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LegalTender
5 later BWI-SAN flights have connections. They'd get in between 6:10-8:55 pm PDT. I doubt Southwest will compensate.
I agree. I didn’t end up suggesting that they ask.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure why the entire issue of "comepensation for mechanical" arises when there is not one shred of information about a mechanical delay. Always better to focus on the reroute which is an immediate need and to worry about what one can get out of an unfortunate situation later.

WN has delayed the 10:45 departure from PWM to 12:05 and that is now scheduled to arrive BWI at 13:40. The onwards flight to SAN is delayed, but not currently by enough for the passengers to make it.

The only other option (with space) is a 14:45 departure from BWI with a plane change at SJC, arriving into SAN at 19:40. WN has cancelled the two later PWM-BWI services, so later options won't work. Other BWI-SAN options may wind up working because the mess means that others will misconnect and that creates space.

My advice is for the passengers to head to the SAN departure gate as soon as they arrive. Even if the flight is closed. Delays happen at the last second and if you show up, one never knows. Presuming that this fails, ask to be rebooked to the 14:45 and hope that works. Unfortunately, WN does not have interline agreements with other carriers, so the option becomes overnighting at BWI and hoping for seats tomorrow or cancelling for a refund and looking for options on other carriers where the refund + insurance will make the passengers whole or close to it.
Tanic likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Often1
The only other option (with space) is a 14:45 departure from BWI with a plane change at SJC, arriving into SAN at 19:40. WN has cancelled the two later PWM-BWI services, so later options won't work. Other BWI-SAN options may wind up working because the mess means that others will misconnect and that creates space.
WN has now cancelled tonight's nonstop SWA1086 from BWI-SAN.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure why the entire issue of "comepensation for mechanical" arises when there is not one shred of information about a mechanical delay. Always better to focus on the reroute which is an immediate need and to worry about what one can get out of an unfortunate situation later.
Because there was going to be exactly one chance for me to have a conversation with them before they spoke to any agent. Since I could not tell what the issues were from where I sat, I asked people who might know or have better access to information.

WN has delayed the 10:45 departure from PWM to 12:05 and that is now scheduled to arrive BWI at 13:40. The onwards flight to SAN is delayed, but not currently by enough for the passengers to make it.

My advice is for the passengers to head to the SAN departure gate as soon as they arrive. Even if the flight is closed. Delays happen at the last second and if you show up, one never knows. Presuming that this fails, ask to be rebooked to the 14:45 and hope that works. Unfortunately, WN does not have interline agreements with other carriers, so the option becomes overnighting at BWI and hoping for seats tomorrow or cancelling for a refund and looking for options on other carriers where the refund + insurance will make the passengers whole or close to it.
Thanks. Good thoughts and great info.

The agent at bag check proactively rerouted them. We’ll see them much later tonight.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
History here: https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/advAdvisoryForm.jsp

Dynamic updates here: https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/

Remember that all times shown are UTC.

twitch76 and toomanybooks like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:57 pm

Looks like they had ~ 1 hour to make the original flight. Did they make it?
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spartan3186
Looks like they had ~ 1 hour to make the original flight. Did they make it?
They would not have made the original BWI-SAN non-stop, they landed about 5 minutes after that flight left the gate..

They had plenty of time to make the BWI-SJC-SAN flight (2434), which is now sitting on the tarmac for a wx hold.

Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

They did end up paying extra for A1-15 boarding numbers for BWI-SJC-SAN because the effectiveness of their EBCI was lost on the reroute. They’re not seasoned travelers, and sitting together was important to them.

I doubt there’s any chance of getting the EBCI back, but I may compose a nice email to customer care and ask.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:54 pm

Hmm, the flight trackers show that that 1173 arrived at 1:46 and 2525 took off at 2:52. Would've thought they could make that, but don't know when WN2525 actually left the gate.

Last edited by spartan3186; Jul 11, 2019 at 1:55 pm Reason: Clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.