FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN 1172 - BWI-PWM - Jul 11
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:18 am
twitch76

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure why the entire issue of "comepensation for mechanical" arises when there is not one shred of information about a mechanical delay. Always better to focus on the reroute which is an immediate need and to worry about what one can get out of an unfortunate situation later.
Because there was going to be exactly one chance for me to have a conversation with them before they spoke to any agent. Since I could not tell what the issues were from where I sat, I asked people who might know or have better access to information.

WN has delayed the 10:45 departure from PWM to 12:05 and that is now scheduled to arrive BWI at 13:40. The onwards flight to SAN is delayed, but not currently by enough for the passengers to make it.

The only other option (with space) is a 14:45 departure from BWI with a plane change at SJC, arriving into SAN at 19:40. WN has cancelled the two later PWM-BWI services, so later options won't work. Other BWI-SAN options may wind up working because the mess means that others will misconnect and that creates space.

My advice is for the passengers to head to the SAN departure gate as soon as they arrive. Even if the flight is closed. Delays happen at the last second and if you show up, one never knows. Presuming that this fails, ask to be rebooked to the 14:45 and hope that works. Unfortunately, WN does not have interline agreements with other carriers, so the option becomes overnighting at BWI and hoping for seats tomorrow or cancelling for a refund and looking for options on other carriers where the refund + insurance will make the passengers whole or close to it.
Thanks. Good thoughts and great info.

The agent at bag check proactively rerouted them. We’ll see them much later tonight.