Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass holder board separately from me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

My daughter (10 years old, CP) and I are flying SAN -> BWI tomorrow. 5 hours+. I am Business Select and pulled A-03. I checked her in at B-44. For a puddle jumper to SMF I don't sweat it but for a 5 hour flight it sure would be nice to have row 1. I was considering boarding with my number and sticking her to board alone with the Bs. I figured I'd speak with the gate agent first but is there a minimum age to board under this scenario? Suffice to say she will have no problem finding the place in line or dealing with the boarding process.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Really has nothing to do with CP at all. She has a ticket/boarding pass. CP often board separate, especially when one of them is A-list.

Question about "flying alone" is the issue because of her age. So, she is sort of flying alone - or at least boarding alone.

I would talk to the gate agent when he/she begins the long announcement. You know, the one that says to stay in your seats for a few minutes, but everyone jumps up anyways. LOL!

I would guess you have a fair chance of here boarding with you. Or he might let her board on her own.

Glad you like row 1. I am among those that hate it because of no underseat storage.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I would guess you have a fair chance of here boarding with you. Or he might let her board on her own.
This is the outcome I'm hoping for - either the agent agreeing to let her jump the line with me at A-3, or letting her board alone at B-44.

Glad you like row 1. I am among those that hate it because of no underseat storage.
I count on a few people like you being in front of me, so I can still score that seat!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by photomikey
...I count on a few people like you being in front of me, so I can still score that seat!
Hope for the best.

Preboards often take the first row or two... enough that a casual observer would think it was policy.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Jul 8, 2019 at 7:08 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by photomikey
My daughter (10 years old, CP) and I are flying SAN -> BWI tomorrow. 5 hours+. I am Business Select and pulled A-03. I checked her in at B-44. For a puddle jumper to SMF I don't sweat it but for a 5 hour flight it sure would be nice to have row 1. I was considering boarding with my number and sticking her to board alone with the Bs. I figured I'd speak with the gate agent first but is there a minimum age to board under this scenario? Suffice to say she will have no problem finding the place in line or dealing with the boarding process.
If you are OK with her boarding alone, just save the middle seat next to you.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justhere
If you are OK with her boarding alone, just save the middle seat next to you.
Yes, that would be very easy.

BUT - will WN let an underage child board on their own?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Yes, that would be very easy.

BUT - will WN let an underage child board on their own?
Probably a good idea to let the agent know before boarding starts that the child isn't a UM. Agent might even tell them to board together but no big deal if they don't.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
You can pay for her to get a boarding position of A1-15.
BrlDsguise likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:45 am

I doubt this will be literally interpreted, but GAs can be impulsive. Clearing the air is an advisable tactic.

"Children ages five through 11 traveling without an accompanying Passenger age 12 or older must travel as Unaccompanied Minors (UMs) on Southwest Airlines."
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
If she scans BEFORE you, then the gate agent will look for sure because she will show up as a minor. This happens with me when I take my daughter (also my cp) with me. I always have a lower (or is it higher) boarding number in the early A's.
It's been my experience that they will NOT let her board with your A-3 number. This comes from both personal and watching the number of people that try this and get turned away.

They will refer you to Family boarding most likely at the end of the A's.

If you board first, then when they scan hers, they will see the linked CP to you and recognize that she is not unaccompanied. I've had them comment on it when she gives them her boarding pass first, but I'm behind her. Having said that, my 10 yo daughter would in no way agree to being alone and boarding after me. I would imagine it would be even more stressful because they would have to wait for the A's to complete and then figure out the B boarding call and line up. It would certainly make me nervous that if something were to hang up the boarding process, inside or outside the plane, I would not be with my child to deal with it. Late B group is way down the line from A-3. But your children your choices.

For my long flights like this, I have taken to buying her early bird, so we at least get a decent choice. For shorter flights, I just bite my boarding number and do the family boarding.

You might get lucky with a gate agent, but based on off the instances I've seen SW is pretty firm with their agents to not do exceptions inside of A list like this. But they don't' challenge during family boarding on age.
ursine1 and MikeW_ORD like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender
I doubt this will be literally interpreted, but GAs can be impulsive. Clearing the air is an advisable tactic.

One could make an argument that a literal interpretation could go either way.

A) She is traveling with an adult... he is just further up in the line

or

B) Boarding is traveling and she can not travel alone and he must be with her during boarding

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Jul 9, 2019 at 10:52 am
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:50 am

One could make an argument that a literal interpretation could go either way.

A) She is traveling with an adult... he is just further up in the line

or

B) Boarding is traveling and she cat not travel alone and he must be with her during boarding.
Obviously. Hence the GA variable.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MacGuruTX
my 10 yo daughter would in no way agree to being alone and boarding after me
My experience from being third grade room dad last year is that some would have no problems and some couldn't do it. I drill her on stuff like this pretty often and I think she'll have no issue. My fallback to her is "if you don't board with the B's, I'll just get off the plane and find you".

I'll let you know in a few hours!
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:06 am

Jeeze, pay the $40 for A1-15 and have her board with you
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Jeeze, pay the $40 for A1-15 and have her board with you
Spoils the charm of open seating. Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear.
nsx and justhere like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.