FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Companion Pass holder board separately from me?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:30 am
MacGuruTX

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
If she scans BEFORE you, then the gate agent will look for sure because she will show up as a minor. This happens with me when I take my daughter (also my cp) with me. I always have a lower (or is it higher) boarding number in the early A's.
It's been my experience that they will NOT let her board with your A-3 number. This comes from both personal and watching the number of people that try this and get turned away.

They will refer you to Family boarding most likely at the end of the A's.

If you board first, then when they scan hers, they will see the linked CP to you and recognize that she is not unaccompanied. I've had them comment on it when she gives them her boarding pass first, but I'm behind her. Having said that, my 10 yo daughter would in no way agree to being alone and boarding after me. I would imagine it would be even more stressful because they would have to wait for the A's to complete and then figure out the B boarding call and line up. It would certainly make me nervous that if something were to hang up the boarding process, inside or outside the plane, I would not be with my child to deal with it. Late B group is way down the line from A-3. But your children your choices.

For my long flights like this, I have taken to buying her early bird, so we at least get a decent choice. For shorter flights, I just bite my boarding number and do the family boarding.

You might get lucky with a gate agent, but based on off the instances I've seen SW is pretty firm with their agents to not do exceptions inside of A list like this. But they don't' challenge during family boarding on age.