Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

IAD connection to another airline -- is 4 hours enough

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD connection to another airline -- is 4 hours enough

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:49 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by Machta
We decided to buy a UA positioning flight and use the WN travel credit for a trip in September instead. Thanks to all who helped us make a careful decision!
This doesn’t protect you. For 100% protection you must have the den to IAD leg on the same ticket as the transatlantic. I like the southwest idea the morning before with an overnight hotel near IAD better than this. Cheap award availability at the legacy carriers is a joke and the miles are worth less than some third world currencies.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:26 pm

You haven’t solved your problem. Go the day before.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by jmw
I've flown enough to see people try this and get screwed by a one-hour WN flight on a sunny day from the Bay Area to the Los Angeles area.
I do what the OP is suggesting regularly for international travel. When you start at a secondary airport such as SAN your first jump is always to a REAL airport. In my case, this is usually SFO or LAX but sometimes ORG. I have found there are significant advantages in time/costs if the trips start/end at major airports. And LUV tickets separate from the international leg can significantly improve the itinerary.

There are risks, perhaps significant, and as long as the OP understands the risks, I'm OK with a 4-hour window. I would add that the risk is entirely on the outbound leg. On inbound, I've been able to move the LUV flight and not get dinged.

I share figment7's opinion that morning is MUCH better than the afternoon.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For true absolute 100% protection, you have to be on 1 itinerary.

Two itins on the same airline might be better in terms of how they apply "unwritten rules". I mean, it would be the epitome if poor customer service to deny you rebooking on the 2nd flight if you missed it because their own flight was late. But this is United, which almost purposely goes out of its way to make poor customer service decisions.

I do the Southwest-to-international connection often, at least twice a year to Europe or Asia. This has become the reality of life at MCI, where long-haul airfares are often double or more than they are from the large hubs. Since we're often a group of 4-6 traveling, it becomes worth our time. I'll do a same-day connection only for Chicago, and only the first flight of the morning. East or west coast is always the day prior...we just consider it part of the trip.

Coming home, I'll cut it closer. No issues doing same day with a 3-4 hour connection. Rebooking a WN flight has some costs, but not enough to justify adding another day to the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.