FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Hawaii Flight Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1971057-hawaii-flight-reports.html)

tusphotog Aug 4, 2019 10:31 am

Did a r/t OAK-OGG over the 4th of July. Forgot to write about it. Flights were fine, although on the way back A1 decided to try and save all eight exit row seats for his family who were in the C group. The FA and several other passengers told him to shove it and he gave up three of the seats. If I didn't have the spouse with me, I would have politely moved all his stuff and taken the infinite legroom seat to make a point. We got the regular exit row so all was good.

Originally Posted by setec (Post 31376059)
WN offers full Pre at OGG. The entrance can be hard to find; one has to thread between the lines for regular security and Hawaiian checkin.

I've never thought the pre line at OGG was hard to find. It's at right side of the main checkpoint. There's a big pre sign and a line monitor. There are usually two ID checkers, so keep an eye on the lines because people normally all go to one side.

Originally Posted by setec (Post 31376059)
Consistent with prior reports out of KOA, access to the gate was through a USDA checkpoint. This is a feature, not a bug: it means that at HNL, WN can have interisland and mainland flights out of a single set of gates to facilitate connections. (Interisland checked baggage does not require inspection.)

Very interesting. I didn't realize when I asked upthread about this they were doing this so you don't have to do ag in HNL. Of course, if you wander around HNL between flights, you have to go back through ag.

uastarflyer Aug 6, 2019 11:59 pm

Another negative of WN at HNL i discovered is having to schlep checked bags onto and off a bus after returning a rental car. Whereas for UA I just walked across the street to ticketing.

But I thank WN for any influence on keeping my UA prices lower!

Tanic Aug 7, 2019 10:15 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 31388199)
Another negative of WN at HNL i discovered is having to schlep checked bags onto and off a bus after returning a rental car.

Did you rent off airport? Most majors are in the T2 Garage which is directly across from Lobby 6 and the WN ticket counter.

uastarflyer Aug 7, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31390002)
Did you rent off airport? Most majors are in the T2 Garage which is directly across from Lobby 6 and the WN ticket counter.

Hertz to United in T2

There was a sign as I was walking to T2 that WN needed to board a bus to go to checkin. Is that not correct?

For sure upon landing in HNL Interisland I had to take the bus to baggage claim. Maybe checkin is in the main facility but then you have to bus out to the gates?

Tanic Aug 7, 2019 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 31390713)
There was a sign as I was walking to T2 that WN needed to board a bus to go to checkin. Is that not correct? For sure upon landing in HNL Interisland I had to take the bus to baggage claim. Maybe checkin is in the main facility but then you have to bus out to the gates?

The Southwest ticket counter in Lobby 6 is actually closer ^ to the car rental area than the UA counter in Lobby 8.

WN gates are at the far end of Diamond Head Concourse. It's a 15 minute walk or go up to Floor 2 and ride the Wiki Wiki Shuttle to G gates.

uastarflyer Aug 7, 2019 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31391030)
The Southwest ticket counter in Lobby 6 is actually closer ^ to the car rental area than the UA counter in Lobby 8.

WN gates are at the far end of Diamond Head Concourse. It's a 15 minute walk or go up to Floor 2 and ride the Wiki Wiki Shuttle to G gates.

Thanks for clarifying.

I would melt taking that walk to/from the WN gates in the current 90 degree weather. The bus ride from the WN gates back to baggage claim was long enough.

dlaue Aug 18, 2019 11:57 am

538 today SJC - HNL delayed 45 minutes. We await a mechanic to do “the routine mechanical inspection required for every overseas flight.” Mechanic is fixing another aircraft in the meantime. I was not aware of this requirement.

Gate agent says the inspection will take about 20 minutes.

ETOPS requirement? Company policy?

garykung Aug 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by bupac (Post 31199851)
For those who have flown, were your flights from the mainland to Hawaii full/sold out?

Originally Posted by spongenotbob (Post 31201333)

98-100% full in my experience.

Originally Posted by dmbolp (Post 31201726)

same here, both ways the FA announced “this flight will be full”, and C boarders had to go from back to front of plane to find middle seats

surprisingly the HNL-OAK return flight was still available for $218 an hour before departure. Then 3 standbys were cleared to fill plane

Hawaiian market is a heaven for non-rev. For most airlines, the flight will at least 98% full.

dlaue Aug 18, 2019 2:16 pm

There were 2 seats for sale on my SJC -HNL flight last night. I see about 10 vacant on the plane. And family boarding involved at least 25% of the passengers!
The coconut flavored rum mixed with pineapple juice is an adequate tropical drink. Might be premixed, as I did not get a mini bottle of rum, just the drink over ice.

fiuchris Aug 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue (Post 31429680)
538 today SJC - HNL delayed 45 minutes. We await a mechanic to do “the routine mechanical inspection required for every overseas flight.” Mechanic is fixing another aircraft in the meantime. I was not aware of this requirement.

Gate agent says the inspection will take about 20 minutes.

ETOPS requirement? Company policy?

It is an ETOPS requirement called the pre-departure service check (PDSC).

FAR: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.374

ShinyO Aug 18, 2019 5:46 pm

We are flying SJC-HNL-KOA a week from tomorrow. I was a little apprehensive about this length of flight on WN, but these flight reports sound pretty decent.

I am not a regular WN flyer (for whatever reason my corporate travel booking service doesn't include WN even though it's often the cheapest/most convenient out of SJC on the routes I regularly fly.) So I have a couple Noob questions (both WN and flying to Hawaii, which I've only done once before.)

*How is the connection at HNL? We have ~2hrs of connection time both ways, so I assume it will be a breeze for us. I do recall HNL being a bit confusing when I did OGG-HNL-LAX last year in HA.

*Second, I opted to buy the early bird check-in a couple weeks ago. What are the chances this will help us secure better seats on this particular route? We purchased one of their cheap fares when they first launched the Hawaiian routes from California. I am a RR member, but fly so rarely that I don't have much to show for it.

*Lastly, how's the Wifi? I am hoping to use the flying time to research activities and restaurants during our 11-day trip there. I haven't had much time to really research and plan our trip other thank booking accommodations and a car.

737MAX8 Aug 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by ShinyO (Post 31430407)
We are flying SJC-HNL-KOA a week from tomorrow. I was a little apprehensive about this length of flight on WN, but these flight reports sound pretty decent.

I am not a regular WN flyer (for whatever reason my corporate travel booking service doesn't include WN even though it's often the cheapest/most convenient out of SJC on the routes I regularly fly.) So I have a couple Noob questions (both WN and flying to Hawaii, which I've only done once before.)

*How is the connection at HNL? We have ~2hrs of connection time both ways, so I assume it will be a breeze for us. I do recall HNL being a bit confusing when I did OGG-HNL-LAX last year in HA.

*Second, I opted to buy the early bird check-in a couple weeks ago. What are the chances this will help us secure better seats on this particular route? We purchased one of their cheap fares when they first launched the Hawaiian routes from California. I am a RR member, but fly so rarely that I don't have much to show for it.

*Lastly, how's the Wifi? I am hoping to use the flying time to research activities and restaurants during our 11-day trip there. I haven't had much time to really research and plan our trip other thank booking accommodations and a car.

1. The connection will be super easy. WN has it's own little lobby under the rest of the terminal where all of it's HNL flights arrive and depart. The 4 boarding doors are literally 20 feet apart. You won't have to walk far at all, but with 2 hours I'd walk around the open air portion and plane spot :D

2. Early bird will help for sure. It helped me get A37 which is good because you'll be ahead of the massive groups of family boarding I've seen on Hawaii flights.

3. The WiFi has worked very well on all of my Hawaii flights thus far!

ShinyO Aug 18, 2019 11:29 pm

Sounds great! Thank you. Open-air plane spotting is my kind of thing. (Well, maybe second to an airport bar with good drinks and a great view.)

Originally Posted by 737MAX8 (Post 31430644)
1. The connection will be super easy. WN has it's own little lobby under the rest of the terminal where all of it's HNL flights arrive and depart. The 4 boarding doors are literally 20 feet apart. You won't have to walk far at all, but with 2 hours I'd walk around the open air portion and plane spot :D

2. Early bird will help for sure. It helped me get A37 which is good because you'll be ahead of the massive groups of family boarding I've seen on Hawaii flights.

3. The WiFi has worked very well on all of my Hawaii flights thus far!

Michael El Oct 30, 2019 12:25 pm

Hawaii is becoming part of my territory next year and HNL will be the predominate destination. I'm weighing pros and cons between flying WN and connecting through the Bay Area or choosing directs on HA or AS from SAN. I've flown both and found their Y product to be no better or worse than any other airline. HA is switching from the 332 to the 321 and that may make a difference.

diver858 Oct 30, 2019 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El (Post 31682804)
Hawaii is becoming part of my territory next year and HNL will be the predominate destination. I'm weighing pros and cons between flying WN and connecting through the Bay Area or choosing directs on HA or AS from SAN. I've flown both and found their Y product to be no better or worse than any other airline. HA is switching from the 332 to the 321 and that may make a difference.

1. 8 HNL RTs per year will earn MVPG status on AS, which means free upgrades to premium economy on most every flight (free drinks, snack, 36" seat pitch), occasional first class upgrade, free changes, bonus miles, etc. Sign up for the credit card, get a second free checked bag per person, $100 companion ticket annually. MVPG members also get 4 Gold Guest Upgrades to first class per year.
2. AS will offer a once per lifetime status match, which would allow you to enjoy at least some of the benefits during your first year. MVPG75K members can also gift MVP status to 1 person annually, several such friends can be found here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coupon-connection-373/
3. Compare WN vs AS, HA on-time performance intra-California, to-from Hawaii. Also consider the fact that WN does not interline.