FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Hawaii Flight Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1971057-hawaii-flight-reports.html)

copperred Jun 15, 2019 9:12 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp (Post 31201726)

same here, both ways the FA announced “this flight will be full”, and C boarders had to go from back to front of plane to find middle seats

surprisingly the HNL-OAK return flight was still available for $218 an hour before departure. Then 3 standbys were cleared to fill plane

Like many SW is probably the best option for me to ever get to Hawaii, especially since mainline carriers have utterly destroyed their own services yet still charge through the nose. SW must be creating massive downward pressure on flight prices, both as a new entrant and its ability to do interisland flights. Service on a regular SW flight is so much better than the same on other domestics.

Is there enough data at this point to determine price trends on the same or equivalent city pairs?

dmbolp Jun 15, 2019 9:49 am

Wife and I did OAK-HNL-OAK for about $165 total ($69 flights each way, and she's my companion)

MKEFlyer Jun 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Snack Bag

What are the contents of the snack bag? TIA.

dmbolp Jun 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Regular pretzel bag
Wheat Thins
Spreadable cheese
Fruit Chews
Tic Tacs (about 3)
Wet Nap

MKEFlyer Jun 17, 2019 10:16 am

Thanks.

diver858 Jun 18, 2019 2:52 pm

When will WN start nonstops out of SAN? Summer fares on AS are currently $300 - $500 each way to HNL, OGG, bit less to KOA.

chele613 Jun 25, 2019 5:08 pm

What’s up with the routes to the Mainland? I would like to fly from St. Louis to Maui. When I do the flight search, I can get to Maui via Oakland. But there are no returning flights. When I search the other islands, I can get from HNL to STL but not get to HNL from STL. I wonder if this is a permanent thing or if it’s just because they’re just getting the routes started. I don’t really want to have to fly from OGG to HNL just to then fly to OAK to STL. I’m not looking to fly until this spring so it’s not super close but I was just hoping someone would have some insight.

tusphotog Jun 26, 2019 12:58 am

Originally Posted by chele613 (Post 31239587)
What’s up with the routes to the Mainland? I would like to fly from St. Louis to Maui. When I do the flight search, I can get to Maui via Oakland. But there are no returning flights. When I search the other islands, I can get from HNL to STL but not get to HNL from STL. I wonder if this is a permanent thing or if it’s just because they’re just getting the routes started

Timezones.

I just looked in October and you have two options to STL from the cities that have Hawaii service. Both SJC and OAK have ~9a departures. Best you can do is OGG-OAK-MDW.

Things change, and since you're looking at flights for the spring, other options might show up once the schedule gets released. Of course, they need the MAX8s back to give them a full compliment of airplanes to run the schedule they publish!

N104UA Jun 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by chele613 (Post 31239587)
What’s up with the routes to the Mainland? I would like to fly from St. Louis to Maui. When I do the flight search, I can get to Maui via Oakland. But there are no returning flights. When I search the other islands, I can get from HNL to STL but not get to HNL from STL. I wonder if this is a permanent thing or if it’s just because they’re just getting the routes started. I don’t really want to have to fly from OGG to HNL just to then fly to OAK to STL. I’m not looking to fly until this spring so it’s not super close but I was just hoping someone would have some insight.

It is because WN is not flying red-eyes back to the mainland and thier ancient computer system won't allow you to book an overnight layover in CA. WN is being very clear that they only want to cater to CA based pax with Hawai'i service.

As an aside, unless you are flush with RR points, you can get to OGG cheaper on other carriers as WN is charging a premium to get to Hawai'i, for example you can buy a STL-OGG (via PHX or SFO) on UA or AA for $341 on Oct 9, but WN is wanting $433 to go via OAK.

diver858 Jun 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA (Post 31242947)
It is because WN is not flying red-eyes back to the mainland and thier ancient computer system won't allow you to book an overnight layover in CA. WN is being very clear that they only want to cater to CA based pax with Hawai'i service.

As an aside, unless you are flush with RR points, you can get to OGG cheaper on other carriers as WN is charging a premium to get to Hawai'i, for example you can buy a STL-OGG (via PHX or SFO) on UA or AA for $341 on Oct 9, but WN is wanting $433 to go via OAK.

As low as $312 on Oct 9 in AS for you are interested in spending a night in SAN, $278 on Oct 7.

bo94114 Jul 16, 2019 4:08 pm

I flew out of KOA on 7/3. Have Pre Ck and was advised that they don't do Pre Ck. They gave me a yellow card. Was able to leave shoes and belt on, but the laptop had to be out, food out, liquids out. Kinda irritating. Lots of confused people because there is a wooden wall where the Gate 4 sign is. WN was not allowed in the gate area as there were too many AA and UA flights departing. Airport leaves a lot to be desired but WN Agents were awesome!

flyer4512 Jul 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 31144548)
Flew KOA-HNL today and overall the flight was pretty good. Check in at KOA is off in the corner behind some construction so it may be a little difficult to find if you don’t know where your going, As others had reported, we had to go through USDA inspection before we entered the gate area at KOA. KOA doesn’t have the typical SWA boarding poles with numbers on them so it’s a little more difficult to find your place in line, but not unbearable. The flight itself was great with a friendly senior OAK based crew and was maybe 2/3 full. The inflight services consisted of water or Cran-Grape juice and pretzels, The only real problem I experienced was how long the bags took arrive at the carousel as we waited almost ~45 mins for the bags to arrive with no announcements.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6d53a22a6.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1141bd60b.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8a064d8a0.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...272ea726e.jpeg

Are there any other data points ( this post said 45 minutes) about bag times flying inter island ? I'm thinking we may want to just take carry ons.

We are doing a 2 day Island hop HNL/OGG. Thanks

mrcool1122 Jul 17, 2019 7:50 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 31311751)
Are there any other data points ( this post said 45 minutes) about bag times flying inter island ? I'm thinking we may want to just take carry ons.

We are doing a 2 day Island hop HNL/OGG. Thanks

I flew HNL OGG on July 10. Flight was delayed 90 minutes but bags only took 10 to 15 minutes to arrive at baggage claim.

setec Aug 3, 2019 6:25 pm

Flew OGG-HNL on Aug 3. 20-some empty seats.

WN offers full Pre at OGG. The entrance can be hard to find; one has to thread between the lines for regular security and Hawaiian checkin.

Consistent with prior reports out of KOA, access to the gate was through a USDA checkpoint. This is a feature, not a bug: it means that at HNL, WN can have interisland and mainland flights out of a single set of gates to facilitate connections. (Interisland checked baggage does not require inspection.)

Speaking of those gates at HNL (G7-10), they have the usual boarding stanchions, but no jetbridges; one accesses the aircraft via a covered walkway and then a movable ramp. This is stair-free but could still be tough in a wheelchair.

Inflight service was limited to water, packaged juice, and pretzels. I think IFE and WiFi were normal but I didn't check.

Checked baggage was out within 30 minutes of deplaning.

uastarflyer Aug 4, 2019 3:59 am

I flew OGG-HNL Aug 2 with same experience but no in flight service due to choppy air. WiFi worked for flight status, I didn’t check other features.

I do not like taking a bus (wiki wiki shuttle) to baggage claim. Nor the lack of jet-bridge at HNL. It adds more time and walking.

I am taking UA back to mainland. Having more food options onboard (plus better IFE) is a plus.