Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insane Pricing

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
WN pricing two weeks or less away tends to be anytime of business select and relatively inflexible. Legacy airlines tend to price based on inventory even within two weeks. That's my experience. If I am booking work travel-and it's closer than two weeks-its almost never WN. Outside two weeks almost always WN. BWI is my home airport .

Last edited by ftnoob; May 17, 2019 at 12:07 am Reason: Problematic typo
Old May 11, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
WN pricing two weeks or less away tends to be anytime of business select and relatively inflexible. Legacy airlines tend to price based on inventory even within two weeks. That's my experience. If I am booking work travel-and tits closer than two weeks-its almost never WN. Outside two weeks almost always WN. BWI is my home airport .
Cheapest flights on legacies tend to have 14-day and 21-day advance purchase requirements as well. Obviously, the difference will vary on the route. I'm seeing 1-week advance one-way fares for DTW-ATL on WN from $144 while DL is charging $344. DL 14-day advance fares on this route are $244 and 21-day advance fares are $164. Clearly WN lacks the pricing strength on this route that DL has due to having hubs on both ends.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I've always maintained that WN's reputation as a "low-fare" airline was bogus. When I lived in western PA, the arrival of WN in CLE was greeted with great enthusiasm as a way to lower fares in that CO stronghold. Only a mild effect, if anything at all. Same thing when they came into PIT. Same thing when they took over in ATL. In fact, seemed to me that fares overall went UP after WN took over Airtran.

I would also agree that WN more commonly has bizarre, unexpectedly high fares like this than other airlines. Just personal/anecdotal, but in line with my own experience.
It varies all over the place. When WN came into CVG, that airport had probably the highest per-mile airfares in the country.

Last I saw, it’s now below average.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

It varies all over the place. When WN came into CVG, that airport had probably the highest per-mile airfares in the country.

Last I saw, it’s now below average.
CVG fares were falling before WN entered.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

CVG fares were falling before WN entered.
it’s less about WN & more about DL somewhat shrinking the hub, enabling the other airlines to gain share & drive the fares to a more reasonable level. Lower fares helped CVG recapture traffic that went to DAY, SDF etc & that also helped increase the O&D market size. Carriers added more flights & fares came down.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
My experience out of ATL with WN is that their fares are generally not significantly cheaper than the competition if you book far in advance, like 30-60 days. But for many of my last minute or 1 week advance bookings, All the other carriers (especially DL) have jacked prices to sometimes a full 2-3x of what you can find on WN.

Timing may not be ideal, and there are probably stops, but leisure travelers will jump through those hoops to get the price they want.

Legacy carrier customers are chasing elite status and usually have enough business travelers who will pay the higher price.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
One factor that makes a comparison not always equal is the refund/change policy of WN.

That $200 ticket from DL (or AA or UA) might be cheaper, but not if you need to change or cancel. Those fees can really add up - fast.

Not defending WN - just pointing out one of the differences.
kennycrudup and acasteve like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:59 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
WN pricing two weeks or less away tends to be anytime of business select and relatively inflexible. Legacy airlines tend to price based on inventory even within two weeks.
Southwest has started discounting last-minute flights at off-peak hours. These discounts from Anytime are modest, about 20%. Other airlines seem to have a much wider time of day range for last-minute fares.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:30 am

We've settled into a good pattern with WN. We book a trip speculatively on WN, at whatever price they're asking, using points and the CP. We also usually book a cancellable hotel room and rental car, just in case prices go wonky. I idly check pricing - a couple of times a week, maybe. Once we know we're definitely going, I start looking for better prices in earnest - nearly daily. We end up on WN more than half the time, though that might be skewed thanks to the free changes we've been able to make this summer. We hardly ever end up with our original hotel or rental car, fwiw.

Anyhow, I have to admit that if we didn't have the companion pass, WN trips would often be prohibitively expensive. They are not a low price carrier anymore - we remain loyal to them for their cancelation policies and loyalty program. It seems to work for them, and I hope it continues to do so.
dlaue, ursine1 and roundtree like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:38 pm

Southwest's fares sometimes only make sense if you factor in CP. Or no-change fees, which is now a perk for which you justify paying more. (Also, for some people, bags fly free.)
Old May 12, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest's fares sometimes only make sense if you factor in CP. ...
I assume you mean CP - as in companion pass?

I would guess a very low percent take advantage of that. Those folks in THIS board are surely higher than the general public, but still outside the norm. For example, I know LOTS of people that fly Southwest. but, outside of this forum, I now NOBODY else that has a companion case. We are on our second one.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:19 pm

CP = Companion Pass.

Based on the multiple CP offers promoted over the last couple of years, and the constant pushing of the program by bloggers, I would suspect that there are many more CP holders than you might think.

Regardless, my point stands. Often I've read justification of a WN fare over that of another carrier because CP offered essentially a 2-for-1. And, ultimately, Southwest's no-longer lowest fares make sense for many after the specific-to-Southwest perks are factored in.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:58 am

We are willing to pay a premium for ease of using rapid rewards points too - the fact that we can book and cancel at any time for zero consequence is so nice. While their value has decreased over the years, WN currently still makes sense for us most often when traveling domestically. They also have the only nonstop between my frequent city pairs so there is that too....
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by willywilkes
We are willing to pay a premium for ease of using rapid rewards points too - the fact that we can book and cancel at any time for zero consequence is so nice. .......
Totally love that option. Just had to cancel Delta award and it cost me $150 to put 32,000 miles back into the account. Sucks
synergistic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.