Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flying into Burbank vs. LAX - worth the hassle of changing planes in PHX?

Old Mar 6, 14, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Since 2010, I've been flying from ATL to LAX (and back) at least five or six times per year. My destination is actually Woodland Hills, which is anywhere from 45 to 120+ minutes away depending on the 405! I could fly into BURBANK (Bob Hope) for about the same price and it's rarely more than a 30-minute drive to Woodland Hills.

The ATL to LAX direct flight takes about 5.0hrs. Flying from ATL to BUR requires a plane change in PHX (or DEN) and increases travel time by at least 1.5hrs. But I've heard that BUR is much quicker to navigate (and far more pleasant), which could offset the increased travel time and hassle of changing planes....

Any thoughts or advice?
Old Mar 6, 14, 9:54 pm

Ease of renting a car at BUR vs. LAX alone would be reason to switch.
Old Mar 6, 14, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
Ease of renting a car at BUR vs. LAX alone would be reason to switch.
The ease of the whole airport is worth it! At BUR, I have valet parked, gone through security and been at the gate in 10 minutes. I've flown out of BUR with a connection, rather than a non-stop flight out of LAX a number of times. BUR is without a doubt the best kept secret in the LA area!

Last edited by NextTrip; Mar 6, 14 at 10:33 pm
Old Mar 6, 14, 10:23 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Post No Brainer!

BUR any day & all day over LAX (-:
Old Mar 6, 14, 10:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
It really depends on a few factors, but I am also generally in the pro-BUR camp. Its a really, really easy airport to deal with. This is doubly true if you are going anywhere in the San Fernando Valley, or to the West/North of Los Angeles. As you are going to Woodland Hills, that definitely qualifies.
Old Mar 6, 14, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, I think BUR is definitely worth a shot!

I'm fortunate that I don't have to deal with rental cars at LAX. My cousin/best friend lives in Woodland Hills and I go out every few months to spend time with her and her family. She usually picks me up curbside at LAX unless she or one of her kids has something on the schedule, then I take a shuttle from LAX to Woodland Hills (and it's not fun)! Once I get to her house, I have her Lexus SUV to use anytime I want...

She would have a much easier drive to pick me up at BURBANK instead of LAX, to say the least. Her hubby also works in Burbank, at WB studios, so he could also pick me up if she was tied up! It sounds like a good idea all around!

I'm just curious, where do you exit off the 101 for the Burbank Airport? It looks like it's only about 11 miles from her exit (Winnetka) which is even closer than I thought!
Old Mar 7, 14, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by IgoZoom View Post
...I'm just curious, where do you exit off the 101 for the Burbank Airport? It looks like it's only about 11 miles from her exit (Winnetka) which is even closer than I thought!
Coming east from Woodland Hills, she would be on the 134 (the 101 turns south and goes towards Hollywood and downtown LA). Exit at Pass Ave. BUR is about 3.5 miles north of the 134 on surface streets.

Last edited by NextTrip; Mar 7, 14 at 12:28 am
Old Mar 7, 14, 2:42 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, VX, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz #1 Gold Plus Five Star
If her husband works at WB Studios, then all she needs to do is do drive to WB Studios and then continue north on North Hollywood Way for about two miles until she reaches the entrance of Bob Hope Airport. The entrance to Bob Hope Airport (BUR) is at the corner of North Hollywood Way and Thornton Avenue in Burbank.

Just one more note about Bob Hope Airport and Southwest. The Southwest gates at BUR don't have jet bridges to connect to the aircraft. It's old fashioned. You walk on the tarmac to the airplane and climb air-stairs to board the aircraft. One nice thing about this setup is that at BUR, passengers can deplane and board the aircraft from EITHER the front exit OR the rear exit of the aircraft. It really speeds up the deplaning and boarding process of the 737s.

Last edited by Peter T.; Mar 7, 14 at 2:51 am
Old Mar 7, 14, 3:04 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'm another one for Burbank Airport. When flying to LA I do whatever I can to avoid LAX.

While WN doesn't fly there, Long Beach is another great LA area option if you ever have to fly in closer to the beach areas.
Old Mar 7, 14, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peter T. View Post
If her husband works at WB Studios, then all she needs to do is do drive to WB Studios and then continue north on North Hollywood Way for about two miles until she reaches the entrance of Bob Hope Airport. The entrance to Bob Hope Airport (BUR) is at the corner of North Hollywood Way and Thornton Avenue in Burbank.

Just one more note about Bob Hope Airport and Southwest. The Southwest gates at BUR don't have jet bridges to connect to the aircraft. It's old fashioned. You walk on the tarmac to the airplane and climb air-stairs to board the aircraft. One nice thing about this setup is that at BUR, passengers can deplane and board the aircraft from EITHER the front exit OR the rear exit of the aircraft. It really speeds up the deplaning and boarding process of the 737s.
The only airport without jet bridges that I've ever experienced is Key West, FL. It was so much faster getting on/off, as you said. The only thing I HATE about Key West Airport is that it has the shortest runway of any commercial airport in the 48-states! The pilot has a very small window of opportunity to get the wheels on the ground and still have enough time/runway to bring it to a stop! They slam down onto the runway with a hard jolt and the engines are in full reverse at the same instant. It's not a fun landing no matter how many times I've done it! A few times, the pilot missed the 'window' and had to take off again, circle back around and try again. Those second attempts were especially fun. I was eating Valium like candy!

Back on topic, I'm planning to visit in mid-April and I'm going to give BURBANK via PHX a shot this time! I never get up to use the restroom on the direct flight from ATL to LAX. An added perk will be that I only have to hold it from ATL to PHX going this route! BTW, the reason I don't use the restroom on the plane is because I'm 6'2" with size 13 feet and I tend to be a bit clumsy. Most people don't want a 6'2" 240# guy falling on them en route to the restroom, so I stay put!

I know that most people hate LAX, but I actually hate my airport (ATL) a lot more! The biggest problem I have with LAX is the location and traffic. I hear that you only need to be at BURBANK 60 minutes prior to flight time also, is that true?
Old Mar 7, 14, 7:02 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP

Not to throw a wrench into the mix but keep in mind that going to BUR involves a stop/connection. You take an increased chance of misconnecting/delays due to wx/mx/etc versus taking a n/s to LAX. Taking into account WN's recent on-time woes, just beware you could be in for more than you bargained.
Old Mar 7, 14, 7:44 am

I regularly fly the same route.

Spend the extra $$$ and time and choose BUR. My alternative is ONT. Convenient as I am headed inland.
Old Mar 7, 14, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by IgoZoom View Post
..I hear that you only need to be at BURBANK 60 minutes prior to flight time also, is that true?
Yes! If you are flying on the first flight of the morning, things can be a bit hectic. Even then an hour should give you enough time. Occasionally, large groups of school kids going to Sacramento can gum up the works. But, that isn't all that common.
Old Mar 7, 14, 10:58 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I've been departing/coming home into ISP since 1999 avoiding the mess of LGA & JFK for the very reasons cited in this thread, just on the opposite coast.

It used to a very reliable, heaven sent way to travel up to about 2 years ago when they cut flights to MDW and reduced frequency to BWI. Now it questions my sanity to stay loyal...
Old Mar 7, 14, 11:04 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
As for LAX, I have regular work in Riverside and I take the change to ONT rather than flying to LAX NS.

I have customers in three locations, Dallas/Chicago/Houston, in which I have to drive right past the big airport to get to my customer. I generally can fly into DAL/MDW/HOU, get off the plane and get my luggage, get a rental car and drive by the big airport quicker than I can get out of the big airport with my rental car. On the way home it is even more important. At ORD, you can spend an hour stuck in traffic watching planes land before you actually start towards your destination. The difference is that those three airports are direct or NS for me.

One of the great unsung benefits of WN is the routes they run into smaller airports.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: