Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Boarding with kids between A and B now restricted to mom and dad only per GA 5/1/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding with kids between A and B now restricted to mom and dad only per GA 5/1/19

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Under six years old, you can have one parent board with him during Family Boarding.
Your older child can go with the other parent in the boarding line in their assigned spot.
I think you're missing my point.

One parent with a child under 6, boards during Family Boarding, gets two seats together.

One parent with a child over 6, boards in their assigned positions, happens to get two seats not together.

If safety and security are the goal, one of these situations fails.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ursine1

One parent with a child under 6, boards during Family Boarding, gets two seats together.

One parent with a child over 6, boards in their assigned positions, happens to get two seats not together.

I've never seen a young child separated from any guardian. Your whole family may not sit together, if that's important you'll have to buy EBCI, but
without doubt each of your children will be seated next to a parent.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:38 pm

I've never seen a young child separated from any guardian. Your whole family may not sit together, if that's important you'll have to buy EBCI, but
​​​​
Reported experiences disagree. Hence the apparent need for the law.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​
Reported experiences disagree. Hence the apparent need for the law.
On Southwest?
I agree with a rule for the sale of assigned seats. Using differential fares to essentially extort more money from parents with young children is contemptible.
But without assigned seating, and explicitly no guarantee of any particular seat nor any price difference between any seats, FA's are empowered to shift passengers for exactly this purpose. And they are in no way shy about exercising this power to ensure young children aren't seated away from their parents. I flew WN at least twice a week for five years and saw it - was myself asked as a single passenger - innumerable times. Over 500 flights, never ever saw a child separated from a parent.

Last edited by rickg523; May 4, 2019 at 12:05 am
Old May 4, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat

Actually I think you are missing the point. Any adult boarding with a child over six who doesn't purchase early boarding will have the same issue finding seats together.
SCGustafson likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
On my flight the other day on a completely full plane, the last two boarding slots were a mother and child. FA pleaded for someone to move, and someone did.

I doubt flights go very often where mother and child are separated.
rickg523 likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Actually I think you are missing the point. Any adult boarding with a child over six who doesn't purchase early boarding will have the same issue finding seats together.
I'm not even sure what anyone's point is anymore, but if you're saying that it's not a safety and security matter, that was exactly my original point.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:31 am

Mom, Dad and child under 6 will board at family boarding between A and B and will save 5 more seats for the rest of the party. You KNOW that's what's going to happen.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN has made the judgment, as it may do, that <=6 is a safety and security matter. Thus, seating together is assured. It has impliedly made the determination that above that, the child need not be seated with a responsible adult. The issue was debated in both Congress and at DOT and both determined that they would not intervene in carrier decisions.

As a passenger traveling with a child over six, you will in almost all circumstances find seats together, but are not assured of it. If you wish to be assured of it, you must purchase BS/EBCI.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

One parent could go with one or more 6 y.o. and below and the other parent could go later with the 7 y.o.

Yes, I know this raises the question of what happens with only one adult and 5 kids spanning 6 or under plus older.

In practice, they will let it slide whenever the slightest objection is made, the way they always do.

On another topic, I was surprised to hear the phrase “mom and dad” in these politically correct times. But that’s what the guy said.
Yes, that is exactly the scenario that a strict reading of their policy would create. It would complicate things for us but we'd figure it out. However it would create a situation where we'd be more likely to give our business to Alaska Airlines than we are now (the only other airline that flies a nonstop to a destination we fly to frequently to visit family).
Old May 4, 2019, 12:52 pm

In reality all 4 will be allowed family boarding, if not a FA will do what it takes so the 6 year old sits next to a parent BUT
a 5 year old can fly as an unaccompanied minor. Separating a a 6 year old from a parent isn't considered a safety or security issue.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:48 pm

Why the policy was revised:

Southwest Airlines updates family boarding policy after Naples same-sex couple claims discrimination
Old May 11, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by joshua362
New official policy or rouge (but appreciated) GA rule making? I guess time will tell!
I've heard of rude GAs but never rouge GAs.

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
If truly restricted to 2 adults plus only kid(s) under six, that's going to make things trickier for us. Not impossible but we will have to be more strategic since we also have a 7 year old. Not sure if it is trying to say "siblings not allowed" but I could see it being interpreted that way.
The family boarding policy isn't really intended to allow whole families to sit together. It's intended to make it easier to ensure that minor children can have adults in their party seated next to them, without resorting to pleading and threats to get others to trade seats.

Air travel shouldn't be tricky for you as a family of four with one child who has aged out of the family boarding policy. Simply board in pairs; you may or may not find two pair of seats together, but as long as you're in the A or B group, you've got a pretty good chance. And the simplest thing to do to increase your odds is to have the adult and child who board first proceed immediately to the back of the cabin. The back of the cabin gets an undeservedly bad rap; sure, you end up being the last off the plane when you land, but the back of the cabin has grouped seats together later in the boarding process, and empty overhead bin space later in the boarding process, and is close to the rear lav throughout the flight (which can be important for families with small children).

All of that being said, I think six is not the best cut off age for family boarding. I'd rather see eight or ten be the cut off age.
rickg523 likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:24 am

Anyone who believes their condition or circumstance warrants, should board early. The LCC way.

Derek Dombrowski, media relations manager for Spirit Airlines, said there is less urgency to get on board Spirit planes because the airline has assigned seating.

"We provide family boarding at the beginning of the boarding process and have no requirements on gender or number of adults."
Kirsten Wenker, senior communications manager with the Sun Country, said families with infants or small children are invited to board early together.

"We announce at the gate that any families with children in different boarding zones should all board together."
Old May 19, 2019, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I'm confused. Wouldn't the current policy keep grandma from boarding with family boarding? What's the change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.