Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Hotels ends Southwest partnership

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Choice Hotels ends Southwest partnership

An email today from Choice Hotels (Comfort Suites, Clarion, etc.) advises that it will no longer be possible to earn Southwest points for stays at their hotels after May 23, 2019. I do not stay at this brand regularly, but when I do, its nice to be able to accumulate Rapid Reward points since I would never accumulate enough of their proprietary points to get a night's stay. After May 23, I will be looking elsewhere. Of the remaining SWA partner hotels, does any give a better rate of RR points than the others?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I hope you are aware that if you stay twice during many promotion periods, you get 8,000 points. The current promotion period is Feb. 26 to April 26.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:58 am

That’s a shame. If you mind the reviews and pick the better ones, it is a great, affordable hotel chain.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Eh, not sure I'll miss them. The properties are nice, sure, but since we're speaking specifically of the rewards program, I'll stick just to that. I stayed at a few Choice hotels and never got any RR points, not once. When I pursued the matter with Choice, all I got in return was a form email, saying points could not be earned since I'd booked through an outside website (in this case, Southwest), and not through Choice. The email was cheerily signed "Jenny" (or some other name, I don't remember). So when I responded and asked for a clarification (since Southwest's website specifically encourages booking through them), I got back the exact same email, this time cheerily signed "Carol" (or something like that). I don't think anyone was really drafting these emails.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:39 am

SWA website:

"To receive Rapid Rewards points for your stay, simply provide your Rapid Rewards account number at hotel checkin."
Seems RR account number isn't pre-coded in the reservation.
synergistic likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:46 am

I think, though I'm not sure, that booking through southwesthotels.com only gives you something like 2pts/$ for 'partner' hotels. You have to book through the hotel chain itself to get the 600pts/stay. Moot point now, of course. I haven't seen a single 600pt property show up on southwesthotels.com since the changeover. Honestly, with Choice, I value the 4000 Choice points higher anyway.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
I think, though I'm not sure, that booking through southwesthotels.com only gives you something like 2pts/$ for 'partner' hotels. You have to book through the hotel chain itself to get the 600pts/stay. Moot point now, of course. I haven't seen a single 600pt property show up on southwesthotels.com since the changeover. Honestly, with Choice, I value the 4000 Choice points higher anyway.
And LegalTender points out that you need to give them your RR number upon checkin, which is rarely if ever successful for me when I book using a third party site, like booking.com, who runs southwesthotels.com. IMO, the only reason to use hotels to earn WN points now is to seek out bonus properties that give you 1000+ points and allow you to buy additional points at a little less than 2c a point. And even that is only worthwhile while you're chasing the Companion Pass, because the points aren't otherwise worth 2c apeice...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
With only one or two exceptions, I rarely gather enough hotel points at any one brand to reach the "free night" level at even their less expensive properties, so getting a few RR points is better than nothing. No question that if you travel enough to use the points as hotel points rather than converting to airline points, its a more advantageous transaction for you and the hotel property. As for using the Southwest site for either hotel or rental cars, I never use that anymore. The rates are rarely competitive with what I can get direct from the source, and adding in discounts such as AARP or AAA can be more difficult. I didn't realize that booking.com ran the southwest hotels booking program, but that helps explains the less competitive rates.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
I think, though I'm not sure, that booking through southwesthotels.com only gives you something like 2pts/$ for 'partner' hotels. You have to book through the hotel chain itself to get the 600pts/stay. Moot point now, of course. I haven't seen a single 600pt property show up on southwesthotels.com since the changeover.
I think a lot of them are only one point per dollar. Not really worth it I think, especially since I seem to gravitate towards the cheaper places.

I still earn 600 points each time by booking through the hotel's website, but that assumes that 1) I've already joined the hotel's rewards program, and 2) set my earning preferences there to "partner airline" points instead of hotel points. So far so good.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:18 pm

I don't travel nearly enough to have meaningful hotel status, so I book everything through southwesthotels.com and select by point bonus. You can really clean up this way (and I very much hope this isn't cut off any time soon).
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:42 pm

Hmm I wonder if this affects Radisson Hotel across the Sea-Tac airport? I’ll be staying 1 night June 18. Southwest sponsored that hotel. If I stay, I get 6,000 points. Anyone know if I’m affected?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Deaf Flyer
Hmm I wonder if this affects Radisson Hotel across the Sea-Tac airport? I’ll be staying 1 night June 18. Southwest sponsored that hotel. If I stay, I get 6,000 points. Anyone know if I’m affected?
Radisson is a different brand, it's not part of Choice Hotels.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:04 pm

Choice points are very valuable for Scandinavian hotels.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I stayed at a few Choice hotels and never got any RR points, not once.
Wow, miracles never cease. I stayed at a Choice hotel a couple weeks ago, and I actually got my 600 points! That's a first....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.