Wiki Posts
Search

Chance of 737 to 737-Max Swap SFO<-->LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Chance of 737 to 737-Max Swap SFO<-->LAX

Hi There,

Would appreciate any guidance on the potential for a swap from the 'standard' 737 to a 737-Max on the SFO-lAX route. Flying next week and have checked the sites (thanks flyer talk!) and aircraft type shows as a 737 and not the Max. It looks like that route (SFO-LAX)is just the good old 737 I know and love. My concern is the chance of having it swapped to a Max on the day of. Debating switching carriers to avoid the chance of ending up on a Max.

Thanks!

MrZhu
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:53 am

Swaps happen all the time. No way of knowing for sure until you see the plane at the gate.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
...yet no one is freaking out over driving to the airport. Even with two planes down, driving to get coffee in the morning is still more dangerous.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PAX62
...yet no one is freaking out over driving to the airport. Even with two planes down, driving to get coffee in the morning is still more dangerous.
Would love to see the number of deaths on American roadways during the time between the crash of each plane. I am an IT Security guy and have been for 20+ years so do a lot of risk management and risk assessment. I flew home from DC last night on a -800 but would not have been bothered by a MAX had it been swapped out. Got to put aside the emotion when evaluating risk, where related to INFOSEC or flying......
pgh234 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by TXWayne
Would love to see the number of deaths on American roadways during the time between the crash of each plane. I am an IT Security guy and have been for 20+ years so do a lot of risk management and risk assessment. I flew home from DC last night on a -800 but would not have been bothered by a MAX had it been swapped out. Got to put aside the emotion when evaluating risk, where related to INFOSEC or flying......

The data is out there. Even with the occasional fatal accident, commercial air travel is still safer than vehicle travel by a something like a 10x factor.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
MAX8's are more fuel-efficient, so they are deployed on longer flights. Few if any of those flights include an LAX-SFO segment. LAX-OAK maybe.

For what it's worth, I had no concerns when a family member flew on a MAX8 yesterday. I've flown on it myself a few times.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
MAX8's are more fuel-efficient, so they are deployed on longer flights. Few if any of those flights include an LAX-SFO segment. LAX-OAK maybe.

For what it's worth, I had no concerns when a family member flew on a MAX8 yesterday. I've flown on it myself a few times.
Thank you for your really helpful reply! That was the true spirit of Flyer Talk I was hoping to find!

On a technical level I guess the chances are now zero given the Max is now grounded in the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.