Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to see which type of aircraft my Southwest flights will use? (737 MAX concerns)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to see which type of aircraft my Southwest flights will use? (737 MAX concerns)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

In light of reports about the Boeing 737 MAX being involved in two similar crashes and experts in the flying community expressing concern about whether it's safe, I want to avoid flying on this type of aircraft. I have three flights booked next month and I cannot find any information at all about what type of planes Southwest plans to use. Other airlines, like Delta, show this kind of information. Is it available anywhere from Southwest, or do I need to cancel my Southwest flights and book with an airline that I know won't be using a MAX plane?
flyhi152 likes this.

Last edited by MiniMuffin; Mar 10, 2019 at 9:50 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:51 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I don't want to dismiss your concerns because I understand what it's like being a nervous flier...however I do not believe there is any additional risk associated with flying the 737 MAX 8. If you really are concerned...go online as though you are going to book a new flight, but with the exact dates as your current reservation. If you click on the flight number where you select your flights...it should show you which aircraft type you will be flying on. Keep in mind, SW does a lot of equipment swaps and I have flown the MAX 8 several times despite being scheduled to fly a 737-800 or -700.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by MiniMuffin
False. It does not show the type of aircraft anywhere when I do this. Hence me asking the question. Please only reply if you know the answer, and I am also not looking for any response that involves telling me not to worry about the MAX 8. I am simply asking how I can find out which aircraft Southwest has scheduled for my flight.
True. It does show you the type of aircraft. Jack Vogt did know the answer. And BTW, I'm done flying MAX8 planes until they address the AutoTrim issue like maybe disengaging it permanently. Older model 737's have been safely flying for years without an AutoTrim feature that the MAX8 version has.

Last edited by darrenpb; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:24 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darrenpb
True. It does show you the type of aircraft.
Thanks - I was positive I tried what he said. It's very hidden. But thank you very much, I did find it after trying to click everything possible based on your screenshot. I have flown almost exclusively Southwest for years and never knew that info was available - they really need to fix that. It's also annoying that there's no way to access that from my account with the flights already booked.

None of my flights are on a MAX8 but it might not hurt for me as a customer to let Southwest know that I have concerns about this plane. Southwest will swap planes with no notice. In addition to Southwest using MAX8s, I'm also really concerned about the ongoing mechanics strike so I'm kind of wondering if these flights should be booked with another airline anyway...

Last edited by MiniMuffin; Mar 10, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
The Max8 is safe. You have better trained and experienced pilots flying it. No need for hysterics. Or to be rude on the internet when you’re asking people for help.

FALSE. Be nice. Jeez
feysul and diburning like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: WN
The Max8 clearly has a mechanical or software issue that needs to be resolved by some other means than the manufacturer issuing a directive to pilots to manually disengage a system that has just put their plane into a nosedive. It is not a pilot issue. In my book, I don't consider it hysteria. I consider it risk management. But if you are good with the plane as it is, by all means, keep flying on it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:04 am

The info on Southwest about which airplane model your getting is notoriously out of date or inaccurate.

I have been scheduled for a MAX a half dozen times and wound up on an 800 each time.

If you want to truly avoid the MAX then you will need to avoid Southwest..... until they do the right thing and ground the airplane.
net222, gemcan83 and Icydubloon like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:33 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I realize it is fun to point out when other people are wrong on the internet but thank you for acknowledging that I was in fact correct. The rudeness was unnecessary.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
I have flown Southwest for years, my favorite and often my only airline. That said, I am also concerned about possible issues with the MAX. Yes, I know that compared to these two incidents, there have been thousands of other successful flights, and yes, I also know that statistically, I am probably more at risk driving to the airport than I am in the air. Sometimes irrational caution takes precedence over logical reasoning. I was already a little uneasy with SWA's outsourcing of maintenance and the longstanding lack of contract with the domestic maintenance people.

Am I going to cancel any truly necessary flights? Probably not, but I am reevaluating a lot of my discretionary travel, and yes, I am looking at the type of airplane. That in itself is probably an exercise in futility, with SWA's frequent equipment swaps, so perhaps its time to expand out to other carriers again.
net222 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:50 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Could we at least wait until the investigation in the Ethiopian crash points to the MCAS system that was in cause in the Lion Air crash before we all become experts in aircraft manufacturing, certification and operations?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by screeton
I have flown Southwest for years, my favorite and often my only airline. That said, I am also concerned about possible issues with the MAX. Yes, I know that compared to these two incidents, there have been thousands of other successful flights, and yes, I also know that statistically, I am probably more at risk driving to the airport than I am in the air. Sometimes irrational caution takes precedence over logical reasoning. I was already a little uneasy with SWA's outsourcing of maintenance and the longstanding lack of contract with the domestic maintenance people.

Am I going to cancel any truly necessary flights? Probably not, but I am reevaluating a lot of my discretionary travel, and yes, I am looking at the type of airplane. That in itself is probably an exercise in futility, with SWA's frequent equipment swaps, so perhaps its time to expand out to other carriers again.
Actually, my understanding of the statistics (and correct me if I'm wrong) would indicate that you are, in fact, safer driving to the airport than you are on a MAX. I'm also under the impression that the MAX now has the worst safety rating of any modern airliner since the 60s.
net222 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MiniMuffin False. It does not show the type of aircraft anywhere when I do this. Hence me asking the question. Please only reply if you know the answer, and I am also not looking for any response that involves telling me not to worry about the MAX 8. I am simply asking how I can find out which aircraft Southwest has scheduled for my flight.

While I understand your concern about recent events, snarky responses to a poster who correctly answered your question, lessens the value of the helpfulness of these boards.

"I am simply asking how I can find out which aircraft Southwest has scheduled for my flight" could have been the initial post,omitting the MAX 8 reference if you were not seeking additional advice or comments.

Thanks jackvogt for your informational post
ATLflyer2017 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Use FlightAware and plug in your flight number on the day of. You will be able to see what plane they are actually using for your route that day. As others have noted, SW does swap aircraft sometimes at the last minute.
screeton likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Could we at least wait until the investigation in the Ethiopian crash points to the MCAS system that was in cause in the Lion Air crash before we all become experts in aircraft manufacturing, certification and operations?
Suit yourself. If you are fine with it, go fly. Otherwise, no, we can't wait until the investigation in the Ethiopian crash is complete. I am checking my flights for the next few months, and will rebook where I can if any are reasonable options. If I wind up with an 800MAX substituted at the last minute, I will make a decision then. Does it not give you pause that 1/3 of the fleet is now grounded and even United is giving no penalty changes for those who do not wish to fly this model of plane?
net222 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by aaronp84
Use FlightAware and plug in your flight number on the day of. You will be able to see what plane they are actually using for your route that day. As others have noted, SW does swap aircraft sometimes at the last minute.
I find FlightAware to also be notoriously INACCURATE w/Southwest. Planes marked as MAX routinely show up at the gate as 800s...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.