Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Canceled Without Permission?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Flight Canceled Without Permission?

I have a group of friends I travel with every year and there is always indecision on if we will arrive on a Wednesday or a Thursday. Since I have enough points I have always booked the Wednesday and the Thursday one way flight early and then just canceled the one I didn’t need when the decision was finally made. I have done this for many years. No malicious intent, just trying to make sure I get the Flight times and prices I want.

last night, in the middle of the night, Southwest canceled my Wednesday flight. This is the first time this ever happened. I am assuming there is some new algorithm in place that noticed I had two flights that were unrealistically close and the computer decided I could only have one of them. Just wondering if there is some new policy in place as this never happened to me before. Further, even though I received the email stating my points were refunded I’m actually Not quite sure they were so now I need to deal with that as well.

Just wanted to check if what I was doing was unscrupulous and I’ve just been getting lucky or if there is a new policy in place where I can no longer hold two reservations like this anymore. I was just sort of shocked to see Southwest cancel something without permission like that. In all my years, this is the first time.

Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Southwest has a higher than normal number of planes out of service, so I would guess that is the real reason and nothing more.

safe travels
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by BBDDPP
I have a group of friends I travel with every year and there is always indecision on if we will arrive on a Wednesday or a Thursday. Since I have enough points I have always booked the Wednesday and the Thursday one way flight early and then just canceled the one I didn’t need when the decision was finally made. I have done this for many years. No malicious intent, just trying to make sure I get the Flight times and prices I want.

last night, in the middle of the night, Southwest canceled my Wednesday flight. This is the first time this ever happened. I am assuming there is some new algorithm in place that noticed I had two flights that were unrealistically close and the computer decided I could only have one of them. Just wondering if there is some new policy in place as this never happened to me before. Further, even though I received the email stating my points were refunded I’m actually Not quite sure they were so now I need to deal with that as well.

Just wanted to check if what I was doing was unscrupulous and I’ve just been getting lucky or if there is a new policy in place where I can no longer hold two reservations like this anymore. I was just sort of shocked to see Southwest cancel something without permission like that. In all my years, this is the first time.

Was your "flight" canceled (as in it isn't flying anymore)? Or, was your reservation canceled (as in the plane is still scheduled to fly but you no longer have a ticket)?

If the latter, than, there are other threads related to automatic cancellations that you should read to give you background. Here is a recent one: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1956132-southwest-aggressive-auto-cancellation-non-overlapping-flights.html and another: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1956107-sw-system-auto-cancelling-duplicate-flights-etc.html
ursine1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Quite common under WN's updated contract.

This is not simply a change in the algorithm, but in WN's published policy to which OP agreed. It expressly prohibits the practice OP has engaged in and will auto-cancel. This is in line with the policy of every other carrier and is entirely reasonable as others looking for a reservation can't get one and then book on some other carrier and WN has lost the business.

What OP did was exactly what the policy is intended to prohibit. There may be some situations where a passenger would want the two one-ways a day apart because he was either flying another carrier or driving back between. One would then call WN and make certain that those facts are known.

"Prohibition on Multiple/Conflicting Reservations. To promote seat availability for our Customers, Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date, or any multiple reservations containing conflicting or overlapping itineraries (such as departures for the same Customer from multiple cities at the same time). Furthermore, without advance notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations, or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel."
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks, this is exactly what happened. If this is a long standing policy I just must have been lucky in the past.

You’ve answered my question. I’ll now need to just hope for the best choice and if plans change then eat the additional cost of a later booking.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
It has always been against policy to make reservations that you don’t plan to use. Only recently did they start auto cancelling those reservations.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:52 am
Suspended

It may have been against policy, but it has been a violation of the contract since last June.

I am not a WN fan, but in the area of clarity, it does a good job. The contract is written in plain English.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Often1
Quite common under WN's updated contract.

This is not simply a change in the algorithm, but in WN's published policy to which OP agreed. It expressly prohibits the practice OP has engaged in and will auto-cancel. This is in line with the policy of every other carrier and is entirely reasonable as others looking for a reservation can't get one and then book on some other carrier and WN has lost the business.

What OP did was exactly what the policy is intended to prohibit. There may be some situations where a passenger would want the two one-ways a day apart because he was either flying another carrier or driving back between. One would then call WN and make certain that those facts are known.

"Prohibition on Multiple/Conflicting Reservations. To promote seat availability for our Customers, Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date, or any multiple reservations containing conflicting or overlapping itineraries (such as departures for the same Customer from multiple cities at the same time). Furthermore, without advance notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations, or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel."
I totally get what they are trying to do, especially with multiple on the same day. In reading the quote from SW above, I do not see anything about having one flight on Monday, and another one on Tuesday. Help me understand.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by BBDDPP
I have a group of friends I travel with every year and there is always indecision on if we will arrive on a Wednesday or a Thursday. Since I have enough points I have always booked the Wednesday and the Thursday one way flight early and then just canceled the one I didn’t need when the decision was finally made. ...
Can you help us better understand the timing of these flights? There may have been the "can not accomplish" issues here.

For example, if the Wed flight arrived late Wed night and the Thurs was early in the day - and no way for the passenger to actually get back in time to make the 2nd flight.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I totally get what they are trying to do, especially with multiple on the same day. In reading the quote from SW above, I do not see anything about having one flight on Monday, and another one on Tuesday. Help me understand.
“Furthermore, without advance notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations, or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel."

If you have 2 flights A-B booked 24 hours apart and plan to cancel one or the other of them depending on how your day works out, then manifestly you do not intend to take the other.

And “sole discretion” has a meaning.

Seems pretty clear to me.

And on the off chance you are a courier or some such
who flies back and forth daily, contact WN and tell them.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
“Furthermore, without advance notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations, or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel."

If you have 2 flights A-B booked 24 hours apart and plan to cancel one or the other of them depending on how your day works out, then manifestly you do not intend to take the other.

And “sole discretion” has a meaning.

Seems pretty clear to me.
I attempted to point this out a few days ago, it looks like the algorithm got smarter of late. Outside a tiny percentage of real life needs, I bet this is one of the most common of customer double booking scenarios, it was for me.

Last edited by joshua362; Feb 21, 2019 at 8:47 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a few trips booked for early June, but the days are not locked down yet. They have been in the system for around a month now without any cancelation by WN.

Wondering if or when they might cancel one of them.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I have a few trips booked for early June, but the days are not locked down yet. They have been in the system for around a month now without any cancelation by WN.

Wondering if or when they might cancel one of them.
If you follow the reporting here, there is no particular timing.

That may be intentional so that there is never a comfort zone and it may also relate to loads. If a flight is at 20% load right now, no need to cancel out duplicates. But, as it edges up, perhaps that becomes a reason.

I doubt that WN will ever publish the alogorithm and I further doubt that anecdotes will be useful for the same reason.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Why can't people just book a ticket for the date they want instead of playing games?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Why can't people just book a ticket for the date they want instead of playing games?
Because WN made it easy for years. Because it was prohibited and enforced by the other carriers, people who wanted to buy in cheaper fare buckets but were unsure of travel dates, migrated to WN. Those are customers a carrier does not want.

The options are either to impose a change fee or to enforce this rule.

It is also a zero-sum game. The same people who get away with this are also losing on the other end when they try to book and find sold out flights. Overall, this is clearly a revenue matter for WN, but it is a side benefit for passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.