Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"It's going to be choppy! No Service, Sorry!"..a trick?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was recently on two WN flights, both relatively short SAN-LAS/LAS-SAN. This particular route is generally a very short hop, but in the past they have managed to get at least one drink service completed. But I have found over the years that on the evening runs they often claim it is going to be choppy, and therefore there will be no service. To be clear, I understand that there should be no service during rough air, even during predicted rough air.

However, a pre-flight and a subsequent check of the FAA PIREPS and Turbulence Maps indicated that there was light to no turbulence at that time in those areas and no notable turbulence potential, and indeed the flight was smooth. So where are they getting the information that indicates chop? Instead, the cabin crew get to sit for the flight and kick back. Meanwhile the belt light also stays on and we don't get to use the lav. I kind of suspected that this is a wink wink agreement betweeen flight and cabin crew for the last short hop of the night. A one off may be a coicidence, but I have seen this on this route more often than not, save for the times when there WAS actual turbulence AND the PIRPEPS confirmed it.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Very common on Delta.... less so on WN - but would not be surprised if that is the case - wink, wink.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:17 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
For what it's worth, flights into Las Vegas tend to experience more turbulence (I think something to do with the rising heat interacting with cooler air) so it doesn't surprise me on this particular route if there was reports of turbulence from earlier flights in and out from other crews that led to their decision.

In general I'm impressed that WN does a full drink service on short routes like these and the intra-CAs (most of the time at least) whereas legacies like Delta just give out a mini bottle of water...
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:21 am

I've had the same thing happen to me recently though on a different route. I've also seen some comments on Southwest's Facebook page of others complaining about the same thing. I know a few data points don't make a pattern, but I think something is happening.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer
I've had the same thing happen to me recently though on a different route. I've also seen some comments on Southwest's Facebook page of others complaining about the same thing. I know a few data points don't make a pattern, but I think something is happening.
I have experienced it on other routes too, and not always extremely short routes. When it happens, it tends to happen on the evening flights..probably while the crews are on their third or 4th and probably final segment of the day.

It's odd when you consider that anyone can check FAA turbulence maps and advisories and actually verify if there is reported chop on the route. Sucks that we don't get the full service because they are running down the clock on the late flights.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
From the pilot side...even though there may not be official PIREPS posted, pilots and ATC are constantly chatting about air conditions and selecting smother altitudes, so they may have an expectation of a bumpy flight but wind up finding a smoother altitude. A call from the cockpit of "Hey, we are getting bounced around, can we get higher/lower?" call to ATC does not get reported as an offical PIREP but is broadcast to everyone else and communicated to other pilots by ATC.

However being on many other airlines, I will say Southwest is one of the most conservative when it comes to turbulence thresholds and passenger/FA safety.
tusphotog and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX62
From the pilot side...even though there may not be official PIREPS posted, pilots and ATC are constantly chatting about air conditions and selecting smother altitudes, so they may have an expectation of a bumpy flight but wind up finding a smoother altitude. A call from the cockpit of "Hey, we are getting bounced around, can we get higher/lower?" call to ATC does not get reported as an offical PIREP but is broadcast to everyone else and communicated to other pilots by ATC.

However being on many other airlines, I will say Southwest is one of the most conservative when it comes to turbulence thresholds and passenger/FA safety.
If they find a better altitude and it's smooth, and ATC and other crews are talking about it, shouldn't they let the cabin crew up then?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:51 pm

This is a not infrequent occurrence on my flights between STL and MDW (about 250 miles). For whatever reason, it happens more MDW-STL than the other way around. While I understand if it's truly bumpy, I have had a number of flights where I thought the service could easily have been provided.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:04 pm

Hint:
The flight attendants are not required to serve drinks and can just ask the Captain to make an announcement that due to reported turbulence in the area and the short duration of the flight that no beverage service will be performed". Can the FAA sue the airline for not providing a beverage service? No. Can the passengers sue the company for not providing it? Well maybe but they will lose.

In the FAR it says nothing about a beverage service being performed. So if the Flight Attendants are too tired they can ask their friend the captain to inform customers that no beverage service will be performed. Oh and the captain can just leave the seatbelt sign on and ask the flight crew to remain seated for the short duration of the flight for safety concerns. .

I am sure during pre-flight the A flight attendant could tell the captain that the Flight Attendants are tired and need a break. So the Captain can have the passengers remain seated and ask the flight crew to not perform the beverage service. Even if there is no turbulence the reasoning is that there were reports of turbulence earlier and for the safety of everyone they can suspend the beverage service. Too bad so sad you did not get your drink or pretzels .

This is why I drink at the airport before a flight. If I get a drink on the flight fine if not its not the end of the world as I have my water bottle filled post security at a water bottle filling station and drink that. Am I mad that I did not get my 5 pretzles no. I bring my own snack or eat before.

Just so you are aware the flight attendants are primarily there for your safety.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by danielonn; Jan 17, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
This is a not infrequent occurrence on my flights between STL and MDW (about 250 miles). For whatever reason, it happens more MDW-STL than the other way around. While I understand if it's truly bumpy, I have had a number of flights where I thought the service could easily have been provided.
The service could be "provided" but not required to be performed. Is an airline lounge required to "provide" beverages and snacks? Where does it say in the minimum operating standards for the soda machine, espresso machine or oven to work. Its a courtesy to provide inflight beverages but not a requirement.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a whole lot of nothing.

On micro-hauls such as the routes OP is referencing, losing 5-10 minutes of level flying time to turbulence may mean that it is very hard to complete the service and also secure the cabin.

Given that safety comes first, I am quite happy to pass on the risk of a cup of coffee flying into some kid's face.

I am fairly certain that WN documents the decision for its own purposes and that these decisions are looked at to make certain that the service standard, such as it is, is generally followed.

If anybody has specific evidence that this is all some conspiracy to evade doing work, please post that.
CA1900, NextTrip and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
This is what happens when you no longer have a majority of Texas/Southern based FA's who sing, have fun, and throw a bag of peanuts and a Dr. Pepper at ya on a 30 minute Texas flight and instead hire robotic business like "we are only here for your safety" FA's who can't even crack a smile let alone do drink service on an interstate flight.

Delta is becoming the new Southwest, with fun, smiling FA's who manage to do full service in every cabin on a 40-50 minute flight.

RIP Herb, your airline is dying slow and painfully.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Often1

If anybody has specific evidence that this is all some conspiracy to evade doing work, please post that.
Yes it's called the merger with AirTran. It poisoned the front-line staff and corporate.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Yes it's called the merger with AirTran. It poisoned the front-line staff and corporate.
Careful...there are a couple of posters on this forum that nearly a decade later are still butt-hurt over AirTran’s fail.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Sorry, it’s generally not a conspiracy between the cockpit and the FAs. Air is a funny creature and Mother Nature is a fickle being. Forecasts are wrong. Ever watch your local news weatherman? “IT’S GONNA SNOW IN CHARLOTTE. EVERYONE BUY BREAD MILK AND EGGS.”

The storm arrives and it’s nothing but rain and 45 degrees.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.