Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass Lounge The Club MDW opening late 2024

Priority Pass Lounge The Club MDW opening late 2024

Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:17 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by threeoh
Well, the real question is are those Michigan Avenue Amex Plats are flying out of an airport on the South Side that has virtually no first class seats and very few overseas connections?
Old response, but as a data point, my buddy who lives in Evanston, prefers MDW because it is faster to get to on the El v. ORD by ~20min. Just because it closer as the crow flies doesn't mean it is easier. MDW is also just generally less of a pain in the ....
Sure, if you're going to fly to Paris, you're going to ORD, but a 1 hour flight to MSP? MDW.
nmpls is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:44 pm
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,529
Originally Posted by nmpls
Old response, but as a data point, my buddy who lives in Evanston, prefers MDW because it is faster to get to on the El v. ORD by ~20min. Just because it closer as the crow flies doesn't mean it is easier. MDW is also just generally less of a pain in the ....
Sure, if you're going to fly to Paris, you're going to ORD, but a 1 hour flight to MSP? MDW.
What is the EI?

I can't imagine any scenario where it's faster to get from Evanston to MDW by car or transit.

Prefer Southwest Airlines? Ok. Coming from the loop / south side? Ok. Think MDW is less of a hassle or cancels fewer flights in a snow storm? Ok. But I don't buy "easier to get to from Evanston".


threeoh is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:55 pm
  #18  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,181
The EL is Chicago's subway/surface = elevated public transport system. To go from Evanston from ORD or vv you must first travel into downtown Chicago and connect to a line on a slightly different spoke that's almost parallel.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:08 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 1,891
At this moment, via train on Google maps, O'hare is 1:28 and Midway is 1:16
dmbolp is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:13 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Peoria
Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Posts: 819
Originally Posted by threeoh
What is the EI?

I can't imagine any scenario where it's faster to get from Evanston to MDW by car or transit.
The "El" is the CTA. Or do you prefer the "L"? New Yorkers just call it the subway.

I don't doubt its faster from Evanston to Midway than it is from Evanston to O'Hare via the CTA. Either way, you'll have to go all the way downtown and then transfer to either a Blue Line train (to O'Hare) or an Orange Line train (to Midway), and then from there to the airport its at least twice as far to O'Hare (with a lot more stops) than it is to Midway.
Peoriaman1 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:33 pm
  #21  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,529
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The EL is Chicago's subway/surface = elevated public transport system. To go from Evanston from ORD or vv you must first travel into downtown Chicago and connect to a line on a slightly different spoke that's almost parallel.
Originally Posted by dmbolp
At this moment, via train on Google maps, O'hare is 1:28 and Midway is 1:16
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
The "El" is the CTA. Or do you prefer the "L"? New Yorkers just call it the subway.

I don't doubt its faster from Evanston to Midway than it is from Evanston to O'Hare via the CTA. Either way, you'll have to go all the way downtown and then transfer to either a Blue Line train (to O'Hare) or an Orange Line train (to Midway), and then from there to the airport its at least twice as far to O'Hare (with a lot more stops) than it is to Midway.
Sorry guys, with the font on FlyerTalk it looked like capital E followed by a capital I, not E then L. I know what the El / the "L" is obviously.

When I lived in Evanston I usually took the Pace 250 to O'Hare, takes about 40-45 minutes. Taking the Purple/Red all the way to the loop and then the Blue back out obviously takes a lot longer, not sure why you would do that.
threeoh is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:32 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 5,483
Originally Posted by TortillaChip
Anyone hearing any recent updates? Construction of Central market is well underway, sounds like it may open with that?
There's no update.

The airport invites you to "relax in our comfy new Wi-Fi lounges" nearest your gate. You'll find a "Mother's Room," "Chapel" and (see below) "Yoga Room" open on the concourses.

LegalTender is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:10 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by threeoh
Sorry guys, with the font on FlyerTalk it looked like capital E followed by a capital I, not E then L. I know what the El / the "L" is obviously.

When I lived in Evanston I usually took the Pace 250 to O'Hare, takes about 40-45 minutes. Taking the Purple/Red all the way to the loop and then the Blue back out obviously takes a lot longer, not sure why you would do that.
Rich people don't like buses. I wish I was joking.
nmpls is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:03 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Peoria
Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Posts: 819
Originally Posted by nmpls
Rich people don't like buses. I wish I was joking.
That is true! And they only barely tolerate the train.

Unlike in NYC where everyone rides both.
Peoriaman1 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:52 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by threeoh
Sorry guys, with the font on FlyerTalk it looked like capital E followed by a capital I, not E then L. I know what the El / the "L" is obviously.

When I lived in Evanston I usually took the Pace 250 to O'Hare, takes about 40-45 minutes. Taking the Purple/Red all the way to the loop and then the Blue back out obviously takes a lot longer, not sure why you would do that.
Not necessarily saying you're wrong here, and I guess it might depend on where within Evanston you'd normally pick up the 250 bus, but if you are picking it up at the Davis purple line station (I'd expect most people to be boarding at or near this station, which is the route's origin), the absolute fastest (aka weekend non-peak) *scheduled* travel time for the route is ~60 minutes (.pdf schedule here). Looks like during weekday rush periods the scheduled travel time is over 70 minutes in many cases. In my personal experience, weekday rush periods can take WAY more than that... My recent evening rush-hour ride on the 250 bus on a Friday took over two hours. During periods where the purple line is running express, it takes significantly less time to take the purple line to the orange line to MDW. Also, the ORD people mover is currently shut down (link), requiring a slow bus ride (and waiting outside for the bus). I do trips regularly from Evanston to both MDW and ORD, and in my opinion it isn't even close... during weekday rush periods, getting to MDW is much easier and faster than ORD. (Note, I'm talking only about transit here, not driving).

On the weekend though, where the purple line is not running express and there is usually less traffic overall, I'd probably prefer the 250 bus, except for when the people mover at ORD is shut down.

Last edited by Nirvana91; Jan 22, 2020 at 10:02 am
Nirvana91 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:30 am
  #26  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,529
I haven't lived in Evanston for years (and I lived right off Dempster, so that shaved off a few minutes) but I recall it taking 45m and up to an hour on bad days, sorry to hear it took you 90 minutes! Looking back I also didn't take it during rush hour often, mainly late night or early morning. And of course ATS people mover was up and running.

To get back on topic, I concede that at the number of Amex/CSR holders heading to O'Hare for the first class TATL seats and luxury lounges not available at Midway probably aren't riding the Pace 250 bus.
threeoh is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:36 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 5,483
Any guidance on the rideshare picture at MDW? A dedicated pickup location with signage?

Uber is pulling out of Sky Harbor after Phoenix kept adding new pickup/dropoff fees. Hope this isn't a trend.

Uber Announces last Day at Sky Harbor
LegalTender is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:08 pm
  #28  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,529
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Any guidance on the rideshare picture at MDW? A dedicated pickup location with signage?
It's quite good, actually. All pickups happen at the last door (far right when in baggage claim facing the street). Lyft and Uber each have their own dedicated spaces with giant signs, you can't miss it.

For Lyft there are two areas: one for normal cars where it's first come first served: you get a 4-digit code on the app and then show the code to the first available driver, instead of matching with a specific driver. There was a Lyft employee with a bright pink vest helping people with the process and managing the line, which moved quickly.

Then there's a separate section for LyftXL, Lyft Line (shared ride), etc. where you find the license plate of the car you've been assigned like you normally would.

Not sure if Uber has the same split but there is a giant Uber-branded section separate from the Lyft section.

There is the standard $5 fee that applies to airport taxis, rideshare, and also ORD Blue Line boardings (though not MDW Orange Line), but that's been the same forever. I don't see Lyft/Uber leaving Chicago airports anytime soon.
LegalTender and ursine1 like this.
threeoh is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:02 pm
  #29  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Posts: 21,558
FYI there is a $4 fee at LAX which is easy to avoid. Walk 2 minutes east to the intersection of Sepulveda and Century and hail a ride from there if you are heading south or, if you are heading north, from the Hyatt across Sepulveda.
nsx is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:50 pm
  #30  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,529
Originally Posted by nsx
FYI there is a $4 fee at LAX which is easy to avoid. Walk 2 minutes east to the intersection of Sepulveda and Century and hail a ride from there if you are heading south or, if you are heading north, from the Hyatt across Sepulveda.
I've done the same at MDW at the Jasson Auto Repair across from the Orange Line station. It's a bit of walk, probably not worth it for most people.
threeoh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.